Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re right, I know, in that situation he only has a split second to react. Was more trying to make the point that some of his reactions are likely caused by what seems to be an underlying “need” to do something flashy rather than something simple.
Hmm. I actually think he too often tries to take the easy way out mate, in all honesty. Think that's been his issue, he plays too 'safe' at times, and sometimes trying to play safe ultimately results in more danger.

Look at our goal. He plays a risky pass, and it ultimately works out.

For me Gomes didn’t have a bad game but he is one of the easy targets and rightly so previously but not tonight.

His link up with James was promising but they just didn’t get any space.

Richy was awful tonight and his body language looks all wrong for me
The problem with Gomes is he's so easy to get past as he just doesn't even try. He gets away with it alongside Allan and Doucs, but not with Davies. When he does try to tackle, it's inevitably a daft foul in a dangerous area (something a lot of our players are guilty of tbf). Conversely, although neat and tidy on the ball, he's just too slow and carries no goal threat.

Similarly to Davies (although at least Davies could be labelled combative?), I generally just don't know what he offers apart from being a body on the field. I also don't feel he's doing anything a promising youngster couldn't do, if given the chance.

We're just a very slow team in midfield, which really prevents us pressing higher up the field.

I like the guy and want him to be better, I just don't think he'll get any better.

The problem with Gomes is he's so easy to get past as he just doesn't even try. He gets away with it alongside Allan and Doucs, but not with Davies. When he does try to tackle, it's inevitably a daft foul in a dangerous area (something a lot of our players are guilty of tbf). Conversely, although neat and tidy on the ball, he's just too slow and carries no goal threat.

Similarly to Davies (although at least Davies could be labelled combative?), I generally just don't know what he offers apart from being a body on the field. I also don't feel he's doing anything a promising youngster couldn't do, if given the chance.

We're just a very slow team in midfield, which really prevents us pressing higher up the field.

I like the guy and want him to be better, I just don't think he'll get any better.

Gomes?

2:06 - 2:19

Sort of feel he is getting more consistent. It took a long time to be confident after his horrible leg break
I still feel his best games will be alongside Allan and Doucoure, where his bad points don't matter so much.

He was class at Valencia, loved watching him...

Looking back, this was a strange game. They dominated from start up until they scored. Once they equalised they seemed happy with the point. That attitude is probably what will see them finish below the rs, City and Man Utd.

Looking back, this was a strange game. They dominated from start up until they scored. Once they equalised they seemed happy with the point. That attitude is probably what will see them finish below the rs, City and Man Utd.
More than likely they gassed out. They were chasing a goal for 37 minutes. Once they scored they weren’t pressing as much and tried to counter us instead as they knew we would have to come out from defending deep and push forward.

I don't think opposition fans are aware just how bad that Davies and Gomes partnership is.

This is the partnership that Rotherham ran rings around. And we had no choice but to play them. From the perspective of the opposition, it's the dream.

It's about as close to playing without a midfield as you can get while fielding 11 players.

Had Allan and Doucoure been fit, I think we'd have won, but this is why we need squad depth in the summer. The fact that we nearly won anyway doesn't reflect particularly well on Leicester frankly.

I’m still fuming over this. I’m convinced with a good keeper we’d have won this, makes a huge difference in confidence and attitude for your next game. Confidence snowballs but instead now defenders nervousness will snowball. I hope we never see him in goal for Everton ever again.

I don't think opposition fans are aware just how bad that Davies and Gomes partnership is.

This is the partnership that Rotherham ran rings around. And we had no choice but to play them. From the perspective of the opposition, it's the dream.

It's about as close to playing without a midfield as you can get while fielding 11 players.

Had Allan and Doucoure been fit, I think we'd have won, but this is why we need squad depth in the summer. The fact that we nearly won anyway doesn't reflect particularly well on Leicester frankly.

Absolutely spot on. They were absolutely schooled by a bottom of the league championship team. That wasn't them just having an off day, that was them as a partnership that simply doesn't work. There is no chemistry between them, no understanding, no communication whatsoever. A woeful pairing and every time they are sent out together, anything we get points wise we'll have to take as a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.