2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking a lot better over the last few appearances. Playing with a bit more confidence and using the space around him. Will be different in games where he has less time on the ball to think but it's still nice to seem positives from him after so many months of poor performances

Stats clearly aren't everything and they can be overstated but it's silly to just write them off as they "dont work in football"

Stats aside - on this;

I disagree.

I think he'd have scored more goals in his career if he had a decent shot on him - just the 1 in 60+ games for Everton and he isn't known for his shooting at all.

As for picking a pass? I'm not sure. He very rarely plays forceful, searching balls forward. He's not a player you look to force the issue of unlock a defence by any stretch - that's why his assist count has been so low.

I was astonished he provided the cross against Wolves - left footed. And against Sheff Wed that was another good left footed cross/assist. Brilliant.

But that's two moments in the last two games - that for me doesn't change my opinion.

Hopefully he continues his momentum from the last two games but I can't see the argument of him being in the final third because "he can pick a pass and has a decent shot"

Also dont think he gets more time on the ball further up the pitch either. The fact he needs that suggests a problem.

It's not silly at all to say they don't work in football. I have backed this up loads of times (not saying the opinion is right but it's not something I just throw out for no reason either...).

To clarify here, I don't rate Gomes, never really have done. He has ability but most top flight footballers do in some form or other. What I am saying is he is more use further forward than where we have been playing him so far where he just gets overran and loses the ball.

Of course there is a problem, he is too slow! He very rarely shoots, when he does shoot however he can hit one. His technique should be good enough for that.

I am not remotely advocated for him or anything. Nor am I saying play him as a number 10 (or indeed play him at all) I just think the deeper role he has played for us so far is an accident waiting to happen and he is more use further up the pitch.

Reactions: JLW
It's not silly at all to say they don't work in football. I have backed this up loads of times (not saying the opinion is right but it's not something I just throw out for no reason either...).

Hmm.

Disagree.

I think Everton, and all top teams employ a team of performance analysts and data analysts for good reason.

Hmm.

Disagree.

I think Everton, and all top teams employ a team of performance analysts and data analysts for good reason.
What I said on 21 June 2019 after his "great" loan spell when questioning his contribution was deeply frowned upon. It held very true I'm afraid...

"So am I right in saying that one doesn’t need to create chances, make key passes, score goals, contribute in tackles or any other key stat that shows a significant contribution to the team to be considered a baller and can’t live without the guy?

Some of those were the exact stats I used to quote to show how influential Barkley for the team was in spite of the criticism he used to get.

So what indices or metric are considered important to a significant contribution? Finger pointing, ref shouting per minute? Or is hanging around the centre circle passing to the forward line to create everything or Gana to clean up everything behind you worth over £20m?"

....seems to have got himself into form with cameo off the bench. Watched the clubs training session this week where he actually won the knock-out goalscoring competition.

We know his weakness in that he’s easy to run past and has no power of recovery but his quality on the ball is better than any of the other conventional CMs. It would be good if we had other options with that passing dimension.

I noticed that too. I mean it's one drill, for 5 minutes, so you cant generalise too much, but he was slotting left and right for fun (more so than even the forwards). Interestingly Onyango was also finishing very tidily as well in that.

He needs to score more goals and make more goals (as he has the last 2 games). Great teams have goals from all over the pitch and with his ability to strike a ball he should get more. I think part of the reason Sigurdsson still plays, is Ancelotti knows he pops up with goals semi-regularly.

I think he's been a lot better recently. He used to be a 1 10/10 game followed by 5 or 6 3/4-1 games. I think he's had a run of 6 decent games and a poor one, which is better. Goals will really help though, I'm not saying 20 a season, but 4 or 5 would be very good.

Stats clearly aren't everything and they can be overstated but it's silly to just write them off as they "dont work in football"

Stats aside - on this;

I disagree.

I think he'd have scored more goals in his career if he had a decent shot on him - just the 1 in 60+ games for Everton and he isn't known for his shooting at all.

As for picking a pass? I'm not sure. He very rarely plays forceful, searching balls forward. He's not a player you look to force the issue of unlock a defence by any stretch - that's why his assist count has been so low.

I was astonished he provided the cross against Wolves - left footed. And against Sheff Wed that was another good left footed cross/assist. Brilliant.

But that's two moments in the last two games - that for me doesn't change my opinion.

Hopefully he continues his momentum from the last two games but I can't see the argument of him being in the final third because "he can pick a pass and has a decent shot"

Also dont think he gets more time on the ball further up the pitch either. The fact he needs that suggests a problem.
His last 3 assists have been left footed crosses

Hmm.

Disagree.

Of course they do, it can provide a rough guideline of the type of thing you are looking for but that's about it.

Football is not a numbers game. There are too many variables attached to the game. It's a huge con and has been for decades now. Whoever made Opta must be laughing their heads off right now.

When he’s in ok form he’s a decent option and the loss of Doucoure and Allan doesn’t fill me with as much dread if we could guarantee a decent Gomes in midfield. The issue is if the Rochdale version comes out he can be terrible.

When he’s in ok form he’s a decent option and the loss of Doucoure and Allan doesn’t fill me with as much dread if we could guarantee a decent Gomes in midfield. The issue is if the Rochdale version comes out he can be terrible.

If it's Davies and Gomes (as I suspect it might be) and they play as they have been, it's actually well balanced and ok. This seasons Davies and Gomes is a big improvement from whatever we had last season.

It's a bit of an acid test for both really.

I think a lot with Gomes is down to his mental state. I know people will say only Sheffield Wednesday, but watch that Rotherham game back and you see the improvement. Also, when he came on against Wolves he was also very good, and controlled the midfield for us.

He's a liability without the ball, and that will always stay, but in possession he's good. Ancelotti getting him back to more consistency has been a big tick.

His last 3 assists have been left footed crosses

?

Vs Wolves. Vs Sheffield. Vs Villa.

I know mate, I mentioned left footed cross (Wolves/Sheff Wed) in my post.

Only mentioned it because he's right footed and he's not usually one for putting crosses in.

1611589128389.png

To me his best skill is when he's got the ball and pushing it up the pitch, to lay it off to someone else to make something happen. Stats won't show you that.

In his first year he regularly bossed games where the other team couldn't get the ball off him, he was a nightmare to play against.

He isn't however a goal scorer or a real creator, the stats show that and his shooting is probably the worst part of his game for me.

His recent assists have been very welcome though and he's been looking more like his old self each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.