2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was better tonight some lovely passing, a good assist and actually pushed us forward. Hopefully he can step it up we need him with Allan out and Doucoure unavulabke on Wednsday. He can still look sluggish running after players mind you.
Still looks like he's running in treacle but he's displaying more flashes of his quality in recent games. I like him getting forward but he'll need to reign that in tomorrow to keep Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison at bay.

He really is a confidence player, looks to be getting his passing range back which is good. He's a liability defensively, liable to do anything.

Why unsure Zat.?

If Gomes got back to his loan form, which was only 2 seasons ago, he's a Champions league club standard player, no question. He'd be a valuable member of our squad and a frequent starter. He would cost a fortune to replace with somebody of a similar standard and age.

Right now he's inconsistent at best. He'd be hard to sell and would only attract a nominal fee because of his wages. That fee would improve with his form, as would the number of suitors, but why would we sell him then.

During his loan he had a handful of great games.

I think the expectation was that was his 'adaptation' season and he'd be more consistent once he joined permanently.

Hes just that inconsistent player and is poor whenever he faces players with pace.

With him standing next to James it feels like you're watching footage from an elite modelling assignment in a Buenos Aires Polo club.
Then the camera pans across to Davies....

Hes just that inconsistent player and is poor whenever he faces players with pace.

I think he's an asset when used in the proper way - alongside a quick pit bull of a midfielder, against slower opposition and as part of a plan to bury the opposition in goals.

When he's used improperly, he is poor and it creates the impression that he's inconsistent.

I think he's potentially worth quite a few points against the bottom half of the table, over the course of a season. That's worth paying for.

With the attackers back and once Allan and Doucoure return, if we are going to play the formation of last night, then I think it's between Andre and Gylfi for the advanced midfield slot in the three.

Doucoure Allan
Gomes/Sig
James DCL Richie

There was a sense watching him last night and against Wolves, that he looked more confident in himself, physically.

He has certainly made a good deal more of a tangible contribution in these games.

One swallow doesn't make a summer but it is encouraging nonetheless.

I am not his biggest fan by a long way but happy to give any credit to him where thats warranted.

Gonna be all about shape on Wednesday.

Need to be really, really compact in midfield. Play James in a free role off Dom and, honestly, I think I'd consider playing Digne (if fit) over Richarlison.

Having Rich raring to go off the bench could be a real asset and it allows us to keep that flat four that I think we're far better with but also gives us width down both sides.
Yeah I'd play Digne left mid too, like against Wolves but we could play Ritchie right mid instead of Iwobi. I like the idea of James playing off DCL as a 10

Signs that he is awakening from his slumber,dovetailed really well last night with James,he is a worry defensively as he is far to easily bypassed or can leave a trailing leg giving free kicks away in dangerous areas, hopefully when Allan and Doucoure are in tandem again when Andre plays he won't be getting involved defensively, he'll just keep us ticking over like last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.