Match Thread Everton v Rotherham. Sat. 9th Jan, 2021. 12.00. FA Cup 3rd round

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The key factor(s) for me was the fact that both Gomes and Davies were awful on the day. Doesn't matter what level the oppo is - if your CM pairing can't take & maintain control of the game then you'll naturally have issues. They were simply outworked all day and things only began to improve significantly when Doucoure came on.

I advocated for both of them to start before the game, citing that I believed the pairing would work well against a League One side. I was wrong.

Facing championship sides is always the worst in cups.

The gap in quality between their first team and your reserves isn't actually big enough to mitigate against the extra effort they will put in, so they are nearly always close run things if you are not at the top of your game. That was Rotherham's cup final, in other words. Thought they performed admirably.

Had the quality to close it out even if we should have done it earlier. As others have pointed out, another Everton might have gone out there. Onwards!

What worries me is without Doucoure and Allan starting we’re simply unable to cope with literally any other midfield,my god we need a tackler in there, do we have any more at the club ,embarrassing lack of depth

Status
Not open for further replies.