Leighton Baines new Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it odd that Baines turned down the offer of another year.

I understood the point about him wanting to move on in life, and it was aligned with what he said over the years about moving away from football when he finishes...

To turn down a year at the club to be around as a coach?

Just feels a bit odd to me.

Why put your body through the pain of another preseason when you're another year older, if you don't think you'll play much.

I can understand it tbh

I understood the point about him wanting to move on in life, and it was aligned with what he said over the years about moving away from football when he finishes...

Maybe he just knew he wasn’t up to playing anymore?

Genuinely think he knew he’d lost a bit too much pace.
Some of the wingers he’d be up against are lightning now.
He would have done another season if he could have done himself justice.
It can’t be much fun chasing after Rashford etc once your in your 30’s ?

Someone needs to explain to me how the prevailing opinion seems to be that Unsworth has done such an awful job with the U23’s, yet with the same breath we’ve got DCL, Davies (hmm), Kenny, Gordon in and around the 1st XI or possibly being sold for 8 figure sums and people wanting Gibson and Simms to be given a go.

Swear people are expecting us to be producing 5 first team ready players a year.

Could be he felt his body wasn’t able to do it at the top level anymore and rather than go the way Tim Howard and face the criticism/sully his legacy that seems to come with hanging on for too long, he decided to hang up the boots and still contribute in another way. It’s always sad when top pros don’t realize their time is done.

Maybe he just knew he wasn’t up to playing anymore?

We don't know.

Ancelotti wouldn't be offering him a year extension if he wasn't.

I just find it odd he retired to become a coach. He'd always said he'd bail on football when his career is over, in that context I understood the retirement of why sit on a bench for most of a season when you can go and take on a new project etc;

But he needs to keep occupied and, during our time together, the issue arises of what happens when his playing career is over. That won’t happen any time soon - he is 29 and committed himself to Everton for five more years in January - but he has thought about the future. Will it involve football?

‘I hope not,’ comes the refreshing answer. ‘As much as I love it - the reason I don’t watch or read about it now is because I am giving everything I can to it - any bits of time that are my own, I come away from it.

‘So when I finish, I think I will get that passion back as I won’t be involved in it. I reckon I would go back as a fan but I’d like to do something else. I just want to try a different world, with different people, different experiences.

‘It’s not that I’m not grateful for what I do now, I just want to try to do something different. I have always been thinking about the next move because it wouldn’t be good for me not to have a job or not have to get up to do something.’

‘I’m aware that when I stop playing, I’m going to have to roll into something else. It wouldn’t be healthy for the alarm to go off and not have something to do.’

I'm a huge fan of Baines so I'm glad he's still around the club, just find it a surprise.

It'll be interesting how committed he is to coaching and how long he'll be about.

Someone needs to explain to me how the prevailing opinion seems to be that Unsworth has done such an awful job with the U23’s, yet with the same breath we’ve got DCL, Davies (hmm), Kenny, Gordon in and around the 1st XI or possibly being sold for 8 figure sums and people wanting Gibson and Simms to be given a go.

Swear people are expecting us to be producing 5 first team ready players a year.
He played Niasse ahead of Simms a lot for one season mate,the sole purpose of being a youth Manager is to develop youth

We don't know.

Ancelotti wouldn't be offering him a year extension if he wasn't.

I just find it odd he retired to become a coach. He'd always said he'd bail on football when his career is over, in that context I understood the retirement of why sit on a bench for most of a season when you can go and take on a new project etc;

I'm a huge fan of Baines so I'm glad he's still around the club, just find it a surprise.

It'll be interesting how committed he is to coaching and how long he'll be about.
Did he ever say he was going to bail on football, or is that just what everyone assumed because he “has other interests”?

Status
Not open for further replies.