2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know there are a number of players we need out of the club. We know that there will be substantial savings in wages if they leave.
I have seen our wage bill is 160m per annum but I wonder if that is reduced by the wages paid by other clubs where our players are on loan. Last year we had Sandro,Bolasie,Besic,Tosun ,Pennington,Gibson,Connolly,Dowell and others out on loan and even though Everton will still have had to pay some of the wages, there will have been substantial savings.

Either way, there is no way that wages will ever drop to 100m or anything even close.
The wages of any eleven we put out to play Premiership football will probably come to nearly 70m to 80m in a year and that won't change if we get rid of our deadwood and replace them with better.

928.png

Thats the whole point in what im talking about regards to Everton. I dont really understand your point. So if swansea had wanted 60m should we have just paid it?
At what point does common sense kick in and your own realistic valuation is stuck by and look elswhere.
We have now ended up with a ridiculous expensive squad of average players.
So yeah thats all worked out well just paying anyone what they want.

No, I don't think we should, nor would we have. But that's what negotiations are. You have a top end of what you are willing to pay, and they have a bottom end that they are willing to accept. You try and make the 2 meet.

Sigurdsson, we massively overpaid for, even at £45m. Tell me how that was Brands fault?

In regards to Iwobi, at almost half the price, for a young international, home grown player, who played 50+ games for a top side the season before, that price was about standard for the current market. We didn't overpay, unless your personal valuation is the 1 all teams in the league should go by. We paid what we thought he was worth, which was acceptable for them to sell. We could've offered £5m, but we wouldn't have signed him. And Silva and Brands obviously wanted him.

Im genuinely not sure if you are trolling me at this point, and I feel like I may have been reeled in a bit, so congratulations if that was your plan.

No, I don't think we should, nor would we have. But that's what negotiations are. You have a top end of what you are willing to pay, and they have a bottom end that they are willing to accept. You try and make the 2 meet.

Sigurdsson, we massively overpaid for, even at £45m. Tell me how that was Brands fault?

In regards to Iwobi, at almost half the price, for a young international, home grown player, who played 50+ games for a top side the season before, that price was about standard for the current market. We didn't overpay, unless your personal valuation is the 1 all teams in the league should go by. We paid what we thought he was worth, which was acceptable for them to sell. We could've offered £5m, but we wouldn't have signed him. And Silva and Brands obviously wanted him.

Im genuinely not sure if you are trolling me at this point, and I feel like I may have been reeled in a bit, so congratulations if that was your plan.

I didnt link sigurdsson to brands. I linked him to iwobi. Ive stated a few times about the recruitment in the past 4 years.
Mate please stop with the iwobi thing. I have two eyes in my head.
He's utter gash.

As much as I've been underwhelmed by Brands, if it's true that his MO in the Netherlands was sifting through talent from countries where it's difficult to gain a UK work permit - I believe @Zatara and others have spoken about this - then the blame for his performance must surely be laid at the door of the UK-based football club that hired him.

I'm no Brands fan but the time to judge him is at the end of this window. If he hasn't shifted at least another four of our obvious dead weights and brought in some dynamic midfielders by the 5th October (or whenever this year's deadline is) then even @MarcelsGoat won't be able to save him. He's had one decent year and one poor year, this year is the best two out of three year. If all of Sandro, Bolasie, Besic, Delph, Siggurdson et al are still here come the autumn and Davies and Gylfi/Gomes are still our starting CM pairing, then he (and Moshiri) will be with the angels and we will be looking forward to hosting Barnsley and QPR in 2021 whilst playing at a wooden stadium for the bulk of the 21st century. Nobody on here wants that, including Brands and Moshiri, but well meaning owners/administrators have ballsed things up before, we shouldn't kid ourselves, it couldn't happen to us.

Funny how some of this thread is all about how Brands has to reduce our wage bill from the mess beforehand. In his first summer he made Bernard our top earner.....currently we have two subs in him and Mina picking up about 220k a week. Nice one Marcel...just focus on that wage bill

Bernard was free and if he is on £120k salary thats the same as £12.5mil fee and £60k a week.

Mina was our best performer in the first half of the season and still played in 33 matches (29 league).

Any sale for Bernard is FFP positive and Mina anything over £16.8mil is FFP positive.

Not bad business.

As frustrating as things are, there isn't much point getting worked up until the window has shut. Ideally yes we want faces but it's easy for us to sit here and do Brands job, the reality is a lot harder than we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.