Starting the new season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrb85

Player Valuation: £35m
Playing out the last quarter of last season in empty stadiums was a farce. Now it looks like the new season is going to begin likewise. And with the government intent on avoiding repeating past mistakes I wouldn't like to bet on crowds being allowed back until next year. Certainly we can forget September (not that ever looked likely even before the latest Covid figures) and almost certainly October too. To avoid the false and farcical situation at the end of last season I'd much prefer the whole season to be put back until circumstances change back to what appeared to be the optimistic scenario of a week ago. If that might mean scrapping both the cup competitions for one season then so be it; maybe establish a one season tournament for the EFL clubs to aid their finances.
There is a bit of self-interest in my suggestion of course. Because the way we performed behind closed doors last season I could see us being in early relegation trouble by the time the gates were opened up once more!

The trouble is if you postpone it how long do you wait, a month, 6 months, a year or god forbid longer? We have no clue how long this uncertainty will last and whether we will get a 2nd wave or not (does it count as a 2nd wave when you haven't got rid of first one anyway) and until they get a vaccine or a cure then we have no clue as to how long it will be before people are allowed back in to grounds.

...surely it’s in everybody’s interest because public health must come first.

I'm not saying full stadiums, but completely empty stadiums isn't viable for the football league. I doubt many clubs could survive a full season without gate money.

I'm coming round to the opinion that we need to move towards normality and let individuals choose to do what they are comfortable with.

I'm not saying full stadiums, but completely empty stadiums isn't viable for the football league. I doubt many clubs could survive a full season without gate money.

I'm coming round to the opinion that we need to move towards normality and let individuals choose to do what they are comfortable with.

...unfortunately, letting individuals choose what they‘re comfortable with might not be for the greater good. We’re already seeing an increase in cases and this winter could be disastrous if the situation isn’t managed.

Crowds should be allowed back. No one is going to be forced to go.

A season with no crowds be in no one's interest.

It's the people they, the match goers, might go on to infect that need to be considered. I agree that if they are so spectacularly stupid to ignore the risks the should be allowedd to do so but their families, workmates and thebstrangers they come in contact with need to be thought of. As do the NHS staff who will have to treat them.

It's the people they, the match goers, might go on to infect that need to be considered. I agree that if they are so spectacularly stupid to ignore the risks the should be allowedd to do so but their families, workmates and thebstrangers they come in contact with need to be thought of. As do the NHS staff who will have to treat them.

We cant just not do anything forever. There are ways of getting fans in while keeping distance.

We cant keep bringing back restrictions over and over again. I believe in personal responsibility and freedom of choice.

Reactions: JLW
We cant just not do anything forever. There are ways of getting fans in while keeping distance.

We cant keep bringing back restrictions over and over again. I believe in personal responsibility and freedom of choice.

We can and we have to. Again, unless it can be guaranteed that travelling to and from the matis done in splendid isolation; that people go nowhere near to each other in the entrance lobbies; that no hard surfaces are touched etc etc. then without any question there will be major problems. Attendance at such events would need a level of selfishness and stupidity which I'd hope isn't possible.

We can and we have to. Again, unless it can be guaranteed that travelling to and from the matis done in splendid isolation; that people go nowhere near to each other in the entrance lobbies; that no hard surfaces are touched etc etc. then without any question there will be major problems. Attendance at such events would need a level of selfishness and stupidity which I'd hope isn't possible.

I dont agree that its selfish to want to get back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.