Top 3 best & worst value for money signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best:
Arteta; the best Everton player of this millennium for minimal cost.
Jagielka; decades of quality for minimal cost
Baines; decades of quality and was the best full-back in Europe at one point.

Worst:
Bolasie; huge cost, high wage, no return.
Schneiderlin; big cost, high wage, no effort, no return.
Gbamin; big cost, can’t even kick a ball without needing an ambulance, no return.

....difficult but:

Best:
Cahill
Reid
Jagielka

Worst;
Mo Johnston (I know he scored in a Derby, but £1m was a lot of money for us at that time).
Tosun (there are many other examples but he’s the epitome of Steve Walsh’s tenure, possibly the most wasteful in my time).
Henry Newton (probably because we sold Alan Ball).

Last edited:
....difficult but:

Best:
Cahill
Reid
Jagielka

Worst;
Mo Johnson (I know he scored in a Derby, but £1m was a lot of money for us at that time).
Tosun (there are many other examples but he’s the epitome of Steve Walsh’s tenure, possibly the most wasteful in my time).
Henry Newton (probably because we sold Alan Ball).
Remembering Mo's brother Tommy, on loan ,but rubbish.

Excuse the spelling please but add to my list:

who was that lad we signed in the mid to late 90’s the striker. If I remember we signed himand he wasn’t great but Awesome on football manager at the time.
Also the lad Nyrko? Who refused to play after a fan wanted to swap shirts with him

They were the 2 massive disappointments for me.

Both times I'm thinking that we've finally signed a 20 a season goal machine only to see them end up with about 6 and running (plodding in the case of Beattie) the channels.

Then Jelavic looked like the man for all of 10 games before he became a joke but it was nice while it lasted.
was made up when the Yak and Johnson signed that summer.
As a guy AJ always came across as a decent lad.
Shame it didn’t work out

Excuse the spelling please but add to my list:

who was that lad we signed in the mid to late 90’s the striker. If I remember we signed himand he wasn’t great but Awesome on football manager at the time.
Also the lad Nyrko? Who refused to play after a fan wanted to swap shirts with him

Bakayoko?

For my top 3 best signings I'd go back to the 80s.

Greame Sharp had over 10 years at Everton, is our post war top scorer and won everything in his time
Peter Reid was one of the best midfielders in the game at his peak and also won everything in his time
Gary Lineker may have only had 1 season at Everton but he scored 40 goals in that season and was good enough to be hunted down by Barcelona

For my worst 3 there are an abundance of possibilities from the last 30 years but I'll go with:

Sigurdsson showed potential for Swansea but has just never turned up for Everton. He's just awful.
Sandro Ramirez just doesn't suit premier league football
Moise Kean, although I still have hope he'll come good so far he's been a terrible signing

I’m going to say

Bests value signings

Cahill
Coleman
Kevin Campbell - Cost is £3m and save us from relegation Who knows where we would be
Special mention Arteta

worst

Siggi
Iwobi
Toss up between Klassen, Bolasie, Sandro, Martina, Walcott, Koldrop

how depressing that the worst signing are when we had money to spend and the best was when we didn’t have a pot to pee in

Best:
Coleman - 60 grand etc
Baines - one of the best in his prime
Lukaku - tripled our money and our record PL goal scorer

Worst:
Sigurdsson - 45m of invisible man
Bolasie - 28m of bad stepovers
Klaasen - gone after 1 season for ~12m less
I revise this to replace Bolasie with Iwobi. At least Bolasie offered a little something before his injury.

Bilic for an honorable mention
4.5 and an absolute rat
Acted like he was better than us, was always suspended or injured, gave his all for his country then sharked off for months to Croatia to "recover". He then took a fat payoff and signed for another club.

I remember internet rumours about Koldrup having some condition which meant he couldn’t head footballs and people actually bought into it. Good times lol

Status
Not open for further replies.