Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have two years of progress and then regress back to the 'kaput' stage, which is where we are right now. Than having no progress at all, and remain in the kaput stage for ever more.

For me, free transfers on high wages that you know are gona give you a good two years and then maybe slow down on their third is much better than gambling 30 million before you even start paying wages on an Iwobi, who will just provide four years of constant wank.
But you act like every gamble fails. Richarlison was just as much a gamble when we did it. The fact is if we ever want to succeed we have to gamble. Hopefully we can put the best possible processes in place to succeed with those gambles but we aren't making permanent progress without them.

And that's without taking into account that signing 32+ year olds who could be finished at any moment is also gambling but with far smaller potential reward.

But you act like every gamble fails. Richarlison was just as much a gamble when we did it. The fact is if we ever want to succeed we have to gamble. Hopefully we can put the best possible processes in place to succeed with those gambles but we aren't making permanent progress without them.

And that's without taking into account that signing 32+ year olds who could be finished at any moment is also gambling but with far smaller potential reward.

I agree that all transfers are gambles.

But I think the likes of Grealish (huge expensive gamble), or Willian (much lower gamble imo) are worth pursuing far more than paying 50 million for Iwobi and Gbamin before you even start paying them wages.

Paying 25 million before you even start paying wages for nobodies are the worst type of gambles, imo.

But I think the likes of Grealish (huge expensive gamble), or Willian (much lower gamble imo) are worth pursuing far more than paying 50 million for Iwobi and Gbamin before you even start paying them wages.

Paying 25 million before you even start paying wages for nobodies are the worst type of gambles, imo.

But in 3 years time you could sell Grealish for double the money.....for Willian you would get nothing

Gbamin isn't really a fair example given the injuries. But generally speaking I think people are going to have to get used to signings like Iwobi. Players with certain skills that we think we can integrate. I know it is hard to see a similarity in the Richarlison and Iwobi signings now, but really they did have a connected way of thinking.

But in 3 years time you could sell Grealish for double the money.....for Willian you would get nothing

Exactly. So your hedging your bets at both ends of the spectrum. Paying huge for established potential at one end, and bringing in a free transfer for established quality at the other.

The worst option is paying a combined 75 million before you even start paying wages for unproven crap like Bolasie, Iwobi and Gbamin, who could all leave on a free having provided sod all as well.

Gbamin isn't really a fair example given the injuries. But generally speaking I think people are going to have to get used to signings like Iwobi. Players with certain skills that we think we can integrate. I know it is hard to see a similarity in the Richarlison and Iwobi signings now, but really they did have a connected way of thinking.

Sorry mate. But we really are not going to have to get used to buying absolute tat like Iwobi!

Sorry mate. But we really are not going to have to get used to buying absolute tat like Iwobi!
It isn't about the player it is about the process. With Richarlison we saw a player who gets a lot of shots off, from relatively good positions and often enough without it being put on a plate (essentially he wasn't Jelavic) that we thought he could step up his goal scoring. That worked.

With Iwobi we saw a guy who completes a lot of passes into the box, a lot of passes into areas closer to goal and dribbles forward well and thought he could take the next step as a creative player. That hasn't worked thus far.

This is also a similar process with Gbamin but it is impossible to say how that went. I don't think Brands is likely to abandon it.

We really are going to have to accept that a large portion of these players are going to be not only in the squad next season, but starting games as well. For while Ancelotti may be given money to bring new players in, he won't be given enough to re-mould the squad and there is essentially nothing there within the ranks for him to generate funds through sales. Let's just hope we can bring new starters in positions wing, central midfield and up front at a minimum, then we can put the least worst of our current players in around them. Maybe then we might achieve a top half finish

DCL isn’t nearly prolific enough to be leading the line for a club with our aspirations. Great athlete but bad finisher.

Yeah I looked at his Chelsea team and they were 4-4-2 as well. I was quite surprised at this. The problem is most of them teams have been at the top already. It is easier to implement something when you have the best players. Here it's a slightly different type of job.
He played a narrow diamond at Chelsea, similar to at Milan, before eventually shifting to a 4-3-3 after Deco got injured.

Whatever the case, I don't think that we'll see any more of this flat 4-4-2 after the summer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.