Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the midfields they were up against, you had molby at Liverpool, probably one of the best passer in the league, but not a great grafter. Utd Robson and whiteside, both very aggressive, but more attacking midfielders than defending.

And then you had spurs, who had Hoddle and Ardiles. Again both playmakers, but not a lot of graft in the heat of battle. I think we definitely had the best balanced pair at the time.

Also in them days, most teams played 442. Now with a lot of teams having a 3 in midfield, I think it’s so important Ancelotti gets the right 2 players in there. You would think the likes of Gomes could struggle to be a regular going forward if Ancelotti sticks to his 442. Maybe he might do what he did at Napoli and sacrifice 1 winger , for a more of a wide midfield, who can help the midfield 2

...in respect of your last point, I know Colin Harvey (as coach) was particularly keen on one of his strikers dropping into midfield when the opposition had possession. When he was coach of the FA Youth Cup winning team, I think that role fell to Phil Jevons. It was exceptionally hard work, but effective.

So his other goals don't deserve putting on his record? Maybe if Allardyce had signed him we might have made higher than 8th that season and he'd have scored EL goals for us. But that ship has sailed.
He’s a good player, but like a lot of wolves players at the moment, overrated.
At DCL’s age he was was scoring 1 goal in 21 games at Atlético Madrid. Then the next 3 years in the the Portuguese league for one of the top teams, Benfica he averaged 1 in 4.

In the last 2 prem seasons DCL and Richarlison have more prem goals than him from open play, as he has scored something like 5 pens.

He’s a good player, but like a lot of wolves players at the moment, overrated.
At DCL’s age he was was scoring 1 goal in 21 games at Atlético Madrid. Then the next 3 years in the the Portuguese league for one of the top teams, Benfica he averaged 1 in 4.

In the last 2 prem seasons DCL and Richarlison have more prem goals than him from open play, as he has scored something like 5 pens.
The point of my post was he was being considered by Allardyce and he ended up signing Tosun,lots of posters quoted his Madrid and Benfica record to say he'd never make it in the Prem.

The point of my post was he was being considered by Allardyce and he ended up signing Tosun,lots of posters quoted his Madrid and Benfica record to say he'd never make it in the Prem.

I think cos at the time the price often quoted was 60m, that put a LOT of people off.

For a player who had scored 18 league goals combined in 3 seasons, it wasnt worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.