Gazza at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been reading the article in the Athletic about Gazza's time at Everton. It's behind a paywall unfortunately but some very funny stories in there including Alan Myers getting the hump with him for autographing everything in his car and also this

Shame we never had him in his pomp

A tragic, loveable character. Sadly there are no personalities out there allowed anymore.

A tragic, loveable character. Sadly there are no personalities out there allowed anymore.
I always had a soft spot for Paul, felt sorry for him, that is until I read his autobiography, what a really thick ignorant fella he was with the emphasis on ignorant, he did things HE thought were funny, not to most people with any sense. If you’ve read the book and disagree I’d be very surprised.

His vulnerability makes him endearing at some level, but I always thought that him coming to Everton when he did, just aptly represented the mess we were in then, and the joke manner in which we were being run.

I was having a very rare lie-in the day his signing was announced on the morning sports news on the radio, and I just sniggered.

Vaguely remember him having one game for us (might have been in League Cup against fairly jarg opposition) where he rolled back the years and you could see that pure talent-wise he was just head and shoulders above everyone else at the club.

Made it even sadder seeing him in the majority of his other appearances for us.

I always had a soft spot for Paul, felt sorry for him, that is until I read his autobiography, what a really thick ignorant fella he was with the emphasis on ignorant, he did things HE thought were funny, not to most people with any sense. If you’ve read the book and disagree I’d be very surprised.

Haven't read the book mate. What kind of things does it say? I think he's quite severely mentally ill to be fair, although that doesn't excuse certain things like hitting his Mrs.

Vaguely remember him having one game for us (might have been in League Cup against fairly jarg opposition) where he rolled back the years and you could see that pure talent-wise he was just head and shoulders above everyone else at the club.

Made it even sadder seeing him in the majority of his other appearances for us.
I think that was Leyton Orient.

Status
Not open for further replies.