Homepage Article Lukaku: “I owe Everton so much”

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s the best striker and possibly even player to have turned out for us in the past 25 years hands down. This “bring him home” stuff is embarrassing however as he was and remains much better than us. If we wanted to have kept him maybe we should’ve shown more competence up and down the football club instead of just saying “this is when we push on” without anything to back it up. I’m sure seeing players like Niasse and Martina turning up to training showed him the level of ambition Everton actually had and made his decision on a new contract really quite easy.

I liked him....He was terrific to watch. Made up when we finally signed him. Gutted he left TBH, felt he could have been so much more for us.

Even if we were trying to sign Lukau( which we are not) and he would come to us(which he wouldn't) , where would you play him in the team ?
I could not see him as a pair with DCL and there is no way DCL is being left out of the team.
Lukaku will stay in Italy where I think the slower pace of the game suits him better.
Even if he does leave it will be for less money than Inter paid which then was less money than Utd paid... I cannot remember if we paid less money to sign him from Chelsea than they originally paid...

Thank you for your kind response. Who exactly has been better?

I'll just list the absolute certainties that can't really be argued against. Rooney, Arteta, Cahill, Baines, Kanchelskis.

Then you could even start listing the likes of Fellaini, Gana, Lescott, Martyn, Weir - again, all far better players than him.

And even then, most of those players haven't been good enough for Everton. Don't devalue us.

EDIT: Barry, Carsley, Coleman... sorry had to edit, felt I was doing them an injustice by not automatically listing them as better footballers than Lukaku.

Last edited:

Tbf lad, best striker you can't really argue with on pure numbers. Best player is way too far, like.

It's subjective.

Best goalscorer? Absolutely no question about it.

Best actual striker though? Not for me, solely because of how limited he is as a footballer - just on sheer impact the best striker we've had was Kevin Campbell, and the most talented was probably Louis Saha. That said we've been so woeful in the Premier League in that position on the pitch that even DCL is in contention for that honour with three quarters of a decent season. Even Richarlison is. It's not really a high bar to climb.

As you say though, "best player" is laughable. He'd struggle to make the top 50.

I'll just list the absolute certainties that can't really be argued against. Rooney, Arteta, Cahill, Baines, Kanchelskis.

Then you could even start listing the likes of Fellaini, Gana, Lescott, Martyn, Weir - again, all far better players than him.

And even then, most of those players haven't been good enough for Everton. Don't devalue us.
Kanchelskis and possibly Gueye yes but the others are an absolute no from me particularly Cahill. Rooney was never better than Lukaku in an Everton shirt.

The fact a player you don’t think is very good left us for Man United and then Inter Milan pretty much shows our value really doesn’t it?

Kanchelskis and possibly Gueye yes but the others are an absolute no from me particularly Cahill. Rooney was never better than Lukaku in an Everton shirt.

The fact a player you don’t think is very good left us for Man United and then Inter Milan pretty much shows our value really doesn’t it?

He failed miserably at United and was shipped out to the relief of their fans and Inter Milan haven't won anything for nearly 10 years and aren't close even now. Their fans have turned on him too.

He's a donkey who knows how to slot. He's won sod all his entire career.

That Pedro bloke has a lot to answer for - has managed to seduce some fans into thinking Lukaku was a bum who couldnt measure up to Dominic 1 in 9 Calvert Lewin lol

Status
Not open for further replies.