Everton - The Unsung Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.

As I said...in time.

Someone's mentioned Dunc, in some form, every f'kin day since the last time he played a competitive game for us well over a decade ago. Nevermind this is someone who got outscored at his position in 6 less years and 100 or so less games by a "lazy" striker...and you wanna talk about being overhyped?

Maybe I should have said Lukaku instead, eh?

I knew someone would say Gueye. If anything, he is the absolute antithesis of this entire post. More like the most over hyped player based on his actual contributions.

Unsung means often overlooked, under appreciated, not as fondly remembered as they should be. Christ, Duncan Ferguson is more unsung than Gueye if you listen to a lot of people.

For me, I would go with Don Hutchison. 1 of our best players in a time not remembered fondly by most, and left under bad terms. But he was a great player, a captain, and would walk into the current side.
Don Hutchison was very good alright.
One of the first times I was truly furious at a referee was the time Poll disallowed Don's goal against Liverpool in the last second. Poll admitted after he retired that this was the worst decision of his career. In my opinion it's git to be up there with the worst refereeing decisions ever.

Don Hutchison was very good alright.
One of the first times I was truly furious at a referee was the time Poll disallowed Don's goal against Liverpool in the last second. Poll admitted after he retired that this was the worst decision of his career. In my opinion it's git to be up there with the worst refereeing decisions ever.

...he also spoke about his first game at Old Trafford, Man Utd v Everton. He said Everton had a stonewall penalty at the Stretford End. He knew it was a penalty, the Everton players knew it was a penalty but he never gave it and doesn’t know why to this day.

Simon Davies.

For going under the radar as one of the very worst players in our history.
That was the "missed opportunity"summer,him and Neville came in,we had the Villarreal game on the horizon an opportunity to "kick on"we needed to gamble a little and push the boat out for top drawer quality and ended up with those two,aaaahhh well!!

....I love an insight like that because it becomes real. I read he had a falling out with our manager, so played in the Welsh League. Imagine that happening today.

I have it in my mind that he was a good size and fast. It was a time when defenders needed to be tough, but I doubt he needed that as he was just very classy?
Yes Eggs, the man in charge of Everton at the time, Theo Kelly, secretary manager who ruled the roost fell out with with T G, and refused to play him, I think TG had seen two of his best friends, Tommy Lawton and Joe Mercer, leave the club after the war and better themselves by doing so, TG wanted to do likewise but was stopped by Mr. Kelly, don’t know why, because he wouldn’t play him and Everton would have got a decent fee for him, in the end TG decided to sign for the non
league club and played for quite some seasons with Rhyl and Bangor City and most probably making more money than he did with Everton.

Made a big contribution to that epic 4-4 draw in the cup. Got 2 of the equalisers I think?
Cotte was gash, never once proved himself to be a big game player.
Never once scored the winning goal in a big game, and in fact missed a pen at Chelsea that would have took us through in the FA Cup.
Scored 99 goals but his record was littered with him scoring our solitary goal in the 3-1 defeats.
Sharp had him well sussed, he said as long as Cottee scored, he believed he had done his job despite the resuult, even like when we lost 6-2 at Villa.
Really awful player who had talks with Arsenal before Everton, but turned them down as George Graham asked him to work hard and close down defenders.
They eventually brought Ian Wright tto do the job.
Did absolutely nothing in the 89 final in a big game were he could have made a name for himself

I am going to nominate Gordon Lee.

A very unpopular choice when given the job, including by yours truly, on account of his dour personna and reputation for playing negative, unEverton type of football.

But the latter half of his first season in the winter and spring of ‘77 and the subsequent seasons of 77/78 and 78/79 saw EFC play some sparking fooball and we were involved in title chases with top three and top four finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.