Better than 85-87

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is Ronaldo is a top 5 player all time, but it's really hard to make a case he's better than Messi. They're both unbelievable goal scorers, and you can give Ronaldo a slight edge there if you want, but Messi is quite easily a better creative player and for a time after Xavi left he was also one of the best players in the world at transitioning defense to attack like a central midfielder. It's just a combination of abilities that no one, not even Ronaldo, comes close to matching. At his peak he was basically Ronaldo, De Bruyne and Xavi rolled into one.

Also my feeling is the better teams are the ones who win the league, it's a longer competition and luck in one game and luck of the draw don't apply, so Barcelona constantly winning La Liga over Real Madrid says to me they were better despite the European Cups.

Also I've veered way off target here so I'll come back and say the idea that our 85 team which was probably the best in Europe could handle a Pep era Barcelona team is comical. I love the guys, but it's a different world.
I agree but comparing us (the 85 team) against arguably the best club side in history is maybe a little harsh. Excellent technical players such as Steven and Sheedy wouldn’t be out of place, even in that barca team. Maybe a better comparison between the past and the present would be the Milan team of the late 80s and the Barca team under Pep. That would have been some game.

I think it depends on which set of rules you play, because they were much tougher matches in those days, most of today’s primadonnas wouldn’t last until half time, and the first simulation they did they’d probably get a clatter the next time.
not fair to compare the past to today’s standards in any walk of life,
it was what it was, don’t judge it now.
I think it's the complete opposite. The speed and intensity of a modern team would have the older team sucking air like they're on Mt. Everest by halftime.

I agree but comparing us (the 85 team) against arguably the best club side in history is maybe a little harsh. Excellent technical players such as Steven and Sheedy wouldn’t be out of place, even in that barca team. Maybe a better comparison between the past and the present would be the Milan team of the late 80s and the Barca team under Pep. That would have been some game.
That Milan team was amazing, but I really can't see their brand of 4-4-2 putting up even moderate resistance to the Barcelona passing game.

You don't actually think that the game today doesn't require a high degree of knowledge do you? That teams just press wildly without any coordination or planning?

The tactics are miles better now, but the players don't know as much? Not sure how that is possible really.
I simply cant agree. Perhaps we are looking for different things when we look for better. I certainly used to love watching football- today it's too often a bore fest to me and I rarely watch any.

Probably why they have had to engage razmataz and excitement generators* to fool people into being excited. Simply wasn't needed more than 20 years ago.

*this kind of stuff instantly switches me off - its crept into rugby and even cricket ffs. Just get on with the match and let THAT cause excitement ta.

I simply cant agree. Perhaps we are looking for different things when we look for better. I certainly used to love watching football- today it's too often a bore fest to me and I rarely watch any.

Probably why they have had to engage razmataz and excitement generators* to fool people into being excited. Simply wasn't needed more than 20 years ago.

*this kind of stuff instantly switches me off - its crept into rugby and even cricket ffs. Just get on with the match and let THAT cause excitement ta.
How much you enjoy it has nothing to do with the quality of play.

I can certainly see pre-Sky football being more fun. It isn't hard to imagine at all actually. But I'm not saying what is more fun, I'm saying which teams and players are playing better.

No doubt -but it doesn't make them any better. Football is played also in the head. You can have enhanced athleticism, but if you havent got time to engage the brain due to the manic way the game is SOMETIMES played today, you just get ugly scrappy rush football.

Everton in the 80s played high intensity fast football too* - but the collective team also had footie brains.

*often using a high press - well press all over the pitch to be fair- even though we know this is impopossible because it was before the rs invented it a couple of years ago :coffee:
I agree with you to an extent, but I think the distance travelled by teams nowadays with the athleticism would make it hard for any team of that era. Now - were they to be hypothetically modernised then I’d agree it would 100% be a different story.

if I’m honest I miss the football of the 2000’s and late 90’s where you kinda had the best of both worlds in which you still had your magical playmakers, but there wasn’t the newer brand of this everything at a million miles-per hour and you had a greater variety of styles and obviously we had those beautiful Brazilian teams of 98 and 02

How much you enjoy it has nothing to do with the quality of play.

I can certainly see pre-Sky football being more fun. It isn't hard to imagine at all actually. But I'm not saying what is more fun, I'm saying which teams and players are playing better.
I enjoy top quality football. I don't enjoy prima Donna's ballet dancing and throwing themselves to the floor at the slightest essence of an intent if a touch because a point might be worth millions in league position at the end if a season.

I don't accept that players are technically any better. They may have more time and confidence to do their fancy bits today because they are protected by the refs and the rules. Who is to say that Trevor Steven or Kevin Sheedy could not have dazzled more than Messi or Ronaldo if they knew for sure they weren't going to get snapped in half by a full back if they stood still long enough to do a step over?

The likes of joe Corrigan, pat Jennings etc. They used to catch almost everything. Even when Schmeichel arrived, he caught loads. If they couldn't catch they'd punch. I see more pushing than punching now.
You can add Cooper, Clemence, Shilton, even Keelan to that list

Modern day refs would essentially penalize Gray out of the game these days. Plus according to Wikipedia (for all the wonders that are spoken about him) he managed 14 league goals for us in 49 league games. A 1 in 3 strike rate in his hay day wouldn't worry the 11 I’d picked. Lescott and Jagielka would be too quick and strong anyway.

plus the ball would permanently be in the other half/being picked out of Southall’s net with a front 4 of Lukaku richarlison kanchelkis and Cahill running riot.

interesting youchoose Pickford as the problem though. His pinpoint accurate kicks would be setting up a lot of my team’s attacking play.

However, I’ve seen footage of Southall in his prime and I’d say he would be the 1 I’d choose for my modern day 11. Goalkeeper is the 1 position I think has gotten easier to play since the 80s. More protection from refs and fitness isn’t an issue.
Some of Pickford goal kicks would help your team, plenty would be headed back on to the pitch by the fans, staying on his line would save Sharp and Gray from being penalised, we could argue this forever, for instance who said we were playing under todays rules. Let’s just call it a draw, but I’m winning on penalties and because you’re a gent you are letting an old man win!!

I enjoy top quality football. I don't enjoy prima Donna's ballet dancing and throwing themselves to the floor at the slightest essence of an intent if a touch because a point might be worth millions in league position at the end if a season.

I don't accept that players are technically any better. They may have more time and confidence to do their fancy bits today because they are protected by the refs and the rules. Who is to say that Trevor Steven or Kevin Sheedy could not have dazzled more than Messi or Ronaldo if they knew for sure they weren't going to get snapped in half by a full back if they stood still long enough to do a step over?
Players today have less time on the ball. Yes they don't have the threat of getting their legs broken, although it isn't like teams don't try to kick talented players out of the game anymore, but the pressing and closing down is far superior to what it was in the past. So I'll say that it is unlikely that Steven or Sheedy would have been better players if popped into a hypothetical scenario where the game was faster. Players get more time on the ball today is a real doozy to be honest. I'm trying to think of something less true.

Some of Pickford goal kicks would help your team, plenty would be headed back on to the pitch by the fans, staying on his line would save Sharp and Gray from being penalised, we could argue this forever, for instance who said we were playing under todays rules. Let’s just call it a draw, but I’m winning on penalties and because you’re a gent you are letting an old man win!!
Ha! Fair enough. Southall and Pickford are/were both handy With penalties. Who knows with a shootout. Improved Fitness levels wouldn’t count for much there.

one thing I would say about the 80s team was they definitely had a winning mentality. To overhaul a RS team that we’re winning everything at the time must’ve taken some doing. God I wish I was around to see it.

The problem with the current Everton sides is in my lifetime (bar 95) is that they’ve always bottled the big games. The semi final in 2012 being the best/worst example.

The strangest one in recent years was the 3-0 against arsenal in 2014. All week long I was saying to myself “don’t get your hopes up. This is the one where they’ll let you down”. They battered arsenal and I thought “oh my god, things are different now maybe”.

The next game we had a seemingly easy run out against palace at home. Oh dear oh dear.

CL hopes all but gone we play United at home and win easy. Great! Good season though.

Some of our players can Barry string a pass together and some are claiming they’re better than Sheedy and Bracewell? Complete nonsense. I’d probably stick a tenner on the 80s team as they are now to see off the current team never mind what they were like in their pomp.

Ha! Fair enough. Southall and Pickford are/were both handy With penalties. Who knows with a shootout. Improved Fitness levels wouldn’t count for much there.

one thing I would say about the 80s team was they definitely had a winning mentality. To overhaul a RS team that we’re winning everything at the time must’ve taken some doing. God I wish I was around to see it.

The problem with the current Everton sides is in my lifetime (bar 95) is that they’ve always bottled the big games. The semi final in 2012 being the best/worst example.

The strangest one in recent years was the 3-0 against arsenal in 2014. All week long I was saying to myself “don’t get your hopes up. This is the one where they’ll let you down”. They battered arsenal and I thought “oh my god, things are different now maybe”.

The next game we had a seemingly easy run out against palace at home. Oh dear oh dear.

CL hopes all but gone we play United at home and win easy. Great! Good season though.
Bang on with that 2012 semi final, I put that down to Moyes trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead when Liverpool were there for the taking, plus leaving that French kid on the wing for over an hour,Gueye was it, he was bleedin’ useless, most of us could have wrote the script for that game with the inevitable defeat at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.