Better than 85-87

Status
Not open for further replies.
People improving over time, shocker.

The only way to compare is against the equivalent of the day. For every player you say has advanced now, and the reasons behind it, different methods, equipment etc, the same would apply going forward or backwards in time. For instance, the modern players would be playing on dire pitches with much heavier balls and practically a different rule set.

I still think there'd be some 90s players I'd have in this team over current players, and the general consensus was none of them would've been good enough to get in the more recent (at the time) all conquering 80s team.

It is a fact that the general levels of fitness and speed have improved, and there may be a more favourable approach towards certain types of players improving in 1 area while regressing in others.

There are certainly more long range goals, and that is in part down to the balls used and the perfect conditions.
Yes we shouldn't be asking to compare across eras, but people do, and the answer when they do is always that the players are better now.

Mate you have a central midfield of Gomes and Fellaini. We'll just leave it at that.
Too strong and technically superior for Reid and Brace. Sorry.

not saying they weren’t great in their day. They were class and won titles. In the modern era they’d be average though.

the Sony Walkman was technological genius in the 80s. Would you buy one now though?

You don't actually think that the game today doesn't require a high degree of knowledge do you? That teams just press wildly without any coordination or planning?

The tactics are miles better now, but the players don't know as much? Not sure how that is possible really.

No they're not. Tactics suit the game at the time taking into account pitches, equipment (balls etc hence the catching/punching argument), player strengths (largely disctated by pitches etc), laws of the game and also of course influences from other coaches.

Sacchi, Lobanovski, Michels all genius who worked within their time.

I don't see why people can't just accept that there have been great players and coaches throughout time.

No they're not. Tactics suit the game at the time taking into account pitches, equipment (balls etc hence the catching/punching argument), player strengths (largely disctated by pitches etc), laws of the game and also of course influences from other coaches.

Sacchi, Lobanovski, Michels all genius who worked within their time.

I don't see why people can't just accept that there have been great players and coaches throughout time.
There have been. I'm not denying that.

But the modern day ones are better. With respect to Herbert Chapman, his tactics dropped straight in to a game today wouldn't beat Big Dunc.

Off topic slightly but can you imagine maradona in his prime today, with the protection players are afforded. Great players from past generations would still excel today, due to better training methods, rest and recuperation and better pitches!!!!

Off topic slightly but can you imagine maradona in his prime today, with the protection players are afforded. Great players from past generations would still excel today, due to better training methods, rest and recuperation and better pitches!!!!
He might be as good as Messi

There have been. I'm not denying that.

But the modern day ones are better. With respect to Herbert Chapman, his tactics dropped straight in to a game today wouldn't beat Big Dunc.

Probably not. Saachi's teams would get battered too as the offside law has since changed. But it doesn't invalidate their genius nor does it mean anything today is better.

Probably not. Saachi's teams would get battered too as the offside law has since changed. But it doesn't invalidate their genius nor does it mean anything today is better.
It doesn't invalidate their genius I totally agree.

Chapman managed post offside law change too, so we can look at things with similar laws and the teams today are better. It's the same with almost every single thing. Innovation happens over time.

lol lol lol lol

Absolute garbage.
It’s not though is it.

back then clubs were signing the best players from Britain/Ireland. Nowadays premier league clubs are signing the best players from around the world. Only a few clubs in other European countries can compete with the budgets of any premier league team.

the combination of a larger population to choose from, technological advancements, improvements in sports science, improvements in tactics, improvements in fitness and improvements in training methods mean that current players at the top level are just better.

they even look better. 80s players just look lean and skinny (the kits don’t help). Modern day players look like athletes. Taller, more muscular and stronger.

He was certainly as influential to the teams he played in as messi in his prime. Ronaldo and Messi are probably the best players to have ever played the game, but Pele and Maradona aren’t far behind.
I think if you're comparing it by looking at how far ahead of their peers they are you can argue Messi, Pele, Maradona and even Puskas as the best ever, but if you're accounting for the advances down the years then Messi and Ronaldo have to be 1 and 2. Honestly Brazilian Ronaldo probably goes before Maradona if you're doing that and I don't even know where Pele slots in as he was playing basically before players moved to leagues outside their country.

I think if you're comparing it by looking at how far ahead of their peers they are you can argue Messi, Pele, Maradona and even Puskas as the best ever, but if you're accounting for the advances down the years then Messi and Ronaldo have to be 1 and 2. Honestly Brazilian Ronaldo probably goes before Maradona if you're doing that and I don't even know where Pele slots in as he was playing basically before players moved to leagues outside their country.
To be honest mate. I think messi is the better footballer, but Ronaldo has to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats who have ever played the game. 700+ goals in the modern era is unbelievable. Interesting you should mention Puskas. He destroyed England and many teams in his prime, when he was undoubtedly the best player in the world.

To be honest mate. I think messi is the better footballer, but Ronaldo has to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats who have ever played the game. 700+ goals in the modern era is unbelievable. Interesting you should mention Puskas. He destroyed England and many teams in his prime, when he was undoubtedly the best player in the world.
My opinion is Ronaldo is a top 5 player all time, but it's really hard to make a case he's better than Messi. They're both unbelievable goal scorers, and you can give Ronaldo a slight edge there if you want, but Messi is quite easily a better creative player and for a time after Xavi left he was also one of the best players in the world at transitioning defense to attack like a central midfielder. It's just a combination of abilities that no one, not even Ronaldo, comes close to matching. At his peak he was basically Ronaldo, De Bruyne and Xavi rolled into one.

Also my feeling is the better teams are the ones who win the league, it's a longer competition and luck in one game and luck of the draw don't apply, so Barcelona constantly winning La Liga over Real Madrid says to me they were better despite the European Cups.

Also I've veered way off target here so I'll come back and say the idea that our 85 team which was probably the best in Europe could handle a Pep era Barcelona team is comical. I love the guys, but it's a different world.

I think it depends on which set of rules you play, because they were much tougher matches in those days, most of today’s primadonnas wouldn’t last until half time, and the first simulation they did they’d probably get a clatter the next time.
not fair to compare the past to today’s standards in any walk of life,
it was what it was, don’t judge it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.