Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That feels contradictory to me - how does doing nothing delay it? surely it just piles onto the flu season?

Well it's what they've said they're doing just today.

Flu season, despite what Dave said, isn't over yet. They reckon (which I think seems strange) that the peak is gonna hit here in early May.

I don't really know what more they can do. Shut schools – fine, but if the modelling is correct and May is the peak then you're looking at nearly two months of schools being shut. What do parents do? Not everyone can work from home. And this mental assertion (by the gov) that people are just able to put their lives on hold - especially with kids - is ludicrous.

The banning of sporting events and public events should go ahead but I don't really see why the Premier League - for example - can't have common sense and act on their own on this.

Plenty of people over 68 go the match.

Aye the sad reality is not much can be done outside of isolating the elderly which wouldn't be right.

Sadly if any of us catch this thing going about our daily lives there is a chance of passing it on - im a photographer so my job is essentially being around folk so no home working for me.

Unless you know where someone has contracted it not sure where your evidence is to support this.

Think how many people use public transport every day compared to how many people go to a public event mate. That's the point.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be banned/suspended. It'd make sense to do so and they should do it. And if the gov won't act then the leagues should. However, in terms of general impact, the only thing you can really do is what Italy has done and shut down everything. And even that has no guarantee to work.

So... the other option seems to be what the government is going to try and do which is delay the peak of the illness over here as much as possible / spread it out over several weeks and hope the NHS can handle it.

I'm seeing a lot of nonsense claims online but at the end of the day there's genuinely no definite solution at the moment – that's why it's a pandemic.

Your post is contradictory. Everyone gets it now and there is massive surge in demand for medical services.

Cancel all public events and slow the rate of infection down and do it immediately so the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed.
I have no idea why so many people fail to grasp this concept
My 8 yr old granddaughter rang me because she didn’t believe her MAMMY over why the schools are closing , she thought all old people ( that’s me in her eyes) are going to die
I spent 5 mins explaining about slowing the spread down and she got it
How lads on here cannot is beyond me
Oh my granddaughter thinks I am the font of all knowledge

Think how many people use public transport every day compared to how many people go to a public event mate. That's the point.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be banned/suspended. It'd make sense to do so and they should do it. And if the gov won't act then the leagues should. However, in terms of general impact, the only thing you can really do is what Italy has done and shut down everything. And even that has no guarantee to work.

So... the other option seems to be what the government is going to try and do which is delay the peak of the illness over here as much as possible / spread it out over several weeks and hope the NHS can handle it.

I'm seeing a lot of nonsense claims online but at the end of the day there's genuinely no definite solution at the moment – that's why it's a pandemic.

I just don't understand how what they're deciding to do - or not do - will smooth out something that's growing exponentially.

But it's a good place to start no?

Any possibility of reducing the infection rate and strain on medical services is going to be a good step to take.

If the question is whether they are going far enough then the answer shouldn't be to simply do nothing or less than they can.

Of course. And the onus should also be on those events to cancel.

Just because the government hasn't banned the events doesn't mean the ones in charge (i.e. the PL/FA) can't make a decision for themselves.

There's really nothing other than placing the entire country on lockdown that can be done and even that isn't going to guarantee that it stops.

What they're trying to do it seems is get the peak of it through to late spring and delay locking everything down for as long as possible.

As I've said, how can schools be shut for nearly three months? What's the solution?

27 new cases in Ireland
It’s spiralling here as it did in China and Italy
We have only one death and we have gone into semi lockdown
I guess we don’t wash our hands enough

Status
Not open for further replies.