DCL: One season wonder??

• Yes.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • No.

Votes: 171 84.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He won the under20 world cup. Now he's a 23 old scoring a lot of goal in the PL. To say he has excelled at every age group is bizarre.

if you look at players who have scored more goals than him this season only ings and jiminez would be within our reach, and they are 28 and 27...i dont know who people think we can get that would be better...especially when you look at the seasons haller and joelington have had and how much they cost

Bizarre stance to take as an Everton fan.

How so?

I'm not someone who is going to hail lewen as the answer to our prayers because he has scored a load of tap ins and a rare good goal . Nor do I want to keep peddling he isn't good enough line I have said for 3 years because him scoring warrants his place in the team.

I don't think he has what it takes to be the striker at the level we are aiming to be.

That said, no matter how he scores them , he scores goals then that makes him a decent striker , whether it be for a few months or the next 10 years.

Have Big Andy and Big Baz been laughing at you in the pub for being wrong about a player mate?

It's called not changing your tune based on a few games. A lot of people on here are guilty of that for quite a few players.

I mean siggurdson has gone from crap to top class to crap again for a lot of posters if you bothered to go through that thread.

I don't believe he is going to be a top striker. But if he scores goals then he keeps his place in the team.

If I am wrong about him then good.

Depends if defenders keep making mistakes & goal keepers banging goal kicks into him deflecting into their own net.

If all that continues no, if our fortune stops then yes.

How so?

I'm not someone who is going to hail lewen as the answer to our prayers because he has scored a load of tap ins and a rare good goal . Nor do I want to keep peddling he isn't good enough line I have said for 3 years because him scoring warrants his place in the team.

I don't think he has what it takes to be the striker at the level we are aiming to be.

That said, no matter how he scores them , he scores goals then that makes him a decent striker , whether it be for a few months or the next 10 years.

It's called not changing your tune based on a few games. A lot of people on here are guilty of that for quite a few players.

I mean siggurdson has gone from crap to top class to crap again for a lot of posters if you bothered to go through that thread.

I don't believe he is going to be a top striker. But if he scores goals then he keeps his place in the team.

If I am wrong about him then good.

You literally just said you want to call him crap, none of us are buying that you’ll accept it and be happy if he turns out good.

Depends if defenders keep making mistakes & goal keepers banging goal kicks into him deflecting into their own net.

If all that continues no, if our fortune stops then yes.

Think it's harsh to say his goalscoring run is down to good fortune, his off-the-ball stuff, hold up play and work rate has been excellent too, fully deserves this.

Whether that qualifies him as a 'good' striker worthy of a place in the England set up / a starting spot in a side with Europa League aspirations, i'm not sure yet and none of us really can be. For what it's worth, I think he'll be an asset either way because he's a useful squad player if nothing else (whether he'd be happy with that, who knows) but if you're asking whether you reckon he'll end up another Harry Kane, then I'd hedge my bets and say no.

It's very early days, and as I pointed out last week, the key for DCL is keeping this up into next season. There are countless 'bang average' strikers who have had single seasons where they have scored 16-20 league goals and never followed it up (Andy Johnson, Michael Bridges, Marcus Stewart, James Beattie, Mikael Forssell, Charlie Austin, Michu, Darren Bent etc). He doesn't want to add his name to that illustrious list and hopefully he won't.

The only reason there is any doubt is because of the sheer number of big chances he's missed this season. He's getting into the right positions to miss them, which is a positive thing, but he absolutely needs to become more clinical to establish himself.

I don’t look at Dominic purely as a striker, although he is scoring enough for me at present, especially with a non existent midfield, Dominics all round game has improved season after season, his hold up game, control and awareness of his team mates makes him not just a striker but a very good player. I’m confident he will continue to improve, even more so when better players come in each transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.