2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I’m quite sure it is. Bernard definitely puts a shift in, but Sigurdsson more naturally works behind the ball and has the greater physicality to disposses and tackle. Yesterday, Sigurdsson spent much of the game infield and I’m sure that he was playing to order.

if this is the reason, Iwobi should not have start against Arsenal. Bernard is far superior in defensive work. So I’m not sure.

It's clear Carlo only rates him currently as an impact player off the bench.

Probably the quietest of his cameos yesterday but operated on his unfavoured right-wing and still produced what should have been a match winning pass into Richarlison before the Everton Holy Trinity of Sigurdsson being fouled, De Gea saving the shot anyway and then the subsequent one being disallowed for the sole reason of being against United.

I might be wrong here but i can't recall a time where he has made an impact from the bench? all his good performances have come when he's started I think.

Yeah, he had a few proper performances and drop the next game. Don’t understand the logic behind this.

...I’m quite sure it is. Bernard definitely puts a shift in, but Sigurdsson more naturally works behind the ball and has the greater physicality to disposses and tackle. Yesterday, Sigurdsson spent much of the game infield and I’m sure that he was playing to order.

I think Ancelotti is worried about the sort of performance Bernard put in at West Ham. He hooked him at half time and he hasn't really trusted him since then.

At one level it's a shame, as I like him a lot and he's added more end product but it's hard to argue with the manager. Maybe he is trying to send a message to the squad. I don't think we can discount that at this stage. That he's trying to set standards of what he wants and if players miss them, being quite strict with it for next season. It was interesting to see Delph dropped too, so it seems nobody is immune to it.

As for Sigurdsson, he's now a bit of a whipping boy and was always going to be post Liverpool at Anfield. I was never his biggest fan, but I can see what he brings. Especially without Digne in the team, quality balls from set plays would be one aspect of what he has. He's also 6 ft plus to helps us with height in the team. He's positionally ok without the ball. Not perfect and perhaps he gets moved on, but I can see sense in the decision.

Bernard will have to have less quiet games for me. I think we have to see the Newcastle at home Bernard 7 or 8 times out of 10. If a spell in and out of the team leads to that at the end result, then it will have been worth it.

I think Ancelotti is worried about the sort of performance Bernard put in at West Ham. He hooked him at half time and he hasn't really trusted him since then.

At one level it's a shame, as I like him a lot and he's added more end product but it's hard to argue with the manager. Maybe he is trying to send a message to the squad. I don't think we can discount that at this stage. That he's trying to set standards of what he wants and if players miss them, being quite strict with it for next season. It was interesting to see Delph dropped too, so it seems nobody is immune to it.

As for Sigurdsson, he's now a bit of a whipping boy and was always going to be post Liverpool at Anfield. I was never his biggest fan, but I can see what he brings. Especially without Digne in the team, quality balls from set plays would be one aspect of what he has. He's also 6 ft plus to helps us with height in the team. He's positionally ok without the ball. Not perfect and perhaps he gets moved on, but I can see sense in the decision.

Bernard will have to have less quiet games for me. I think we have to see the Newcastle at home Bernard 7 or 8 times out of 10. If a spell in and out of the team leads to that at the end result, then it will have been worth it.

Think I can see it myself, just annoying that Bernard has put in decent cameos post-West Ham and Sigurdsson has been largely garbage. I understand Walcott always retaining in his place in the team we have no other right-winger but Gylfi confuses me.

Think I can see it myself, just annoying that Bernard has put in decent cameos post-West Ham and Sigurdsson has been largely garbage. I understand Walcott always retaining in his place in the team we have no other right-winger but Gylfi confuses me.

Agreed. It's not like Gylfi's physicality is an improvement since he's just flailing about, always 2 seconds behind every action on the pitch

He’s on the pitch for set pieces, essentially a field goal kicker. He might be dropped when Digne is fit.

6ft but never wins a header,no real work ethic,it's the only thing about Ancelotti that's been puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.