Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahahahaha ace. Referees can’t make mistakes because they’ve been doing it for ages.

Across lets say, 500 decisions, three impartial, trained refereeing officials working together will get far fewer decisions wrong than your average biased Football fan.

I wasn’t the one professing to know the laws of the game inside out.

And don't forget the clear and obvious foul on Moise Kean when he was held down by the shoulders in the goalmouth for one of our corners. A nailed on
penalty just like the one at Watford on Saturday when Lovren had Deeney in almost a full nelson just before half time. Some clubs always seem to get the
breaks.

Across lets say, 500 decisions, three impartial, trained refereeing officials working together will get far fewer decisions wrong than your average biased Football fan.

I wasn’t the one professing to know the laws of the game inside out.

But we’re literally watching these people get multiple decisions wrong every single game for an entire season before our very eyes?

You’re one to talk about bias anyway. According to you we haven’t had a single incorrect decision go against us all season.

Those corners today. No variation whatsoever. FFS we must have had about 10 and they were all swung into the 6 yard box. Maguire could have dealt with them until midnight.

Move them around in the 18 yard box and go short for a corner.

Clueless.

must have missed baines chip to the near post for Holgate flick on?

How do you know he wasn’t obstructing the keepers vision? He was 2 yards in front of him lay on the floor?!

maybe because the Keeper moves as DCL hits the shot then as soon as it hits Maguire he stops and trying to correct himself?

Disallowed goal was tragic
Sidibie yellow was tragic
But all in all a very solid performance, we weren't up to speed in the first half. But came out after half time and dominated the game I thought

All in all very positive and Carlos impact can clearly be seen in our mentality to fight on till the end despite the officicating being against us.
Under Silva we would have collapsed entirely after the equaliser
Anyone who isn't impressed by where Carlo has got us to with these players is off their headssssss

The optimism I have before every match now compared to the pessimism under Silva is priceless

But we’re literally watching these people get multiple decisions wrong every single game for an entire season before our very eyes?

They are human, it happens. It's a nonsense to insist it's due to corruption when mistakes happen with the same degree of regularity to the 'big clubs', it's just they are usually far less consequential. When City or Liverpool have had big decisions go against them, they've nearly always still won the game. When it happens further down the league, it feels unfair because those decisions are more frequently at the cost of points.

As I said, I think VAR was pitched as being infallible, never wrong and a solution to all the injustices of the game. We've all quickly realised that's not the case. It's certainly prevented many more injustices that would have otherwise prevailed without it, but it's not without it's flaws, because it's run by humans and we're all flawed.

I agree with Carlo. Yesterday was a 'borderline' call. It was a sickener coming so late, but as soon as I saw it I tempered my celebration because I knew it would be given offside, as Siggy had moved.

You’re one to talk about bias anyway. According to you we haven’t had a single incorrect decision go against us all season.

Have never said this.

I've simply said we've had the same level of injustice as practically every club. We've had a bit more than some and a lot less than others.

Many decisions in Football like "Was it over the line?" or "Was he offside?" are absolutely 100% accurate now due to the introduction of technology which has aided the game. But there are still a huge amount of decisions like the one yesterday where they are subjective and require a third party. All sets of fans will still feel aggrieved with VAR to an extent. If United had lost to that goal yesterday, it would still have been a judgement call and their fans would have been up in arms about it, rather than us. That's unfortunate, but it's how the game has always been.

That's why three blokes who are professionally trained in the laws of the game, working in the best league in the world, who know the rules of the game better than any of us and who don't have a horse in the race, all work together to come up with what they consider to be the right outcome for each decision, in the fastest possible time. Whatever answer they give, someone is going to say they are wrong.

That's a tough gig.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are human, it happens. It's a nonsense to insist it's due to corruption when mistakes happen with the same degree of regularity to the 'big clubs', it's just they are usually far less consequential. When City or Liverpool have had big decisions go against them, they've nearly always still won the game. When it happens further down the league, it feels unfair because those decisions are more frequently at the cost of points.

As I said, I think VAR was pitched as being infallible, never wrong and a solution to all the injustices of the game. We've all quickly realised that's not the case. It's certainly prevented many more injustices that would have otherwise prevailed without it, but it's not without it's flaws, because it's run by humans and we're all flawed.

I agree with Carlo. Yesterday was a 'borderline' call. It was a sickener coming so late, but as soon as I saw it I tempered my celebration because I knew it would be given offside, as Siggy had moved.

Have never said this.

I've simply said we've had the same level of injustice as practically every club. We've had a bit more than some and a lot less than others.

Many decisions in Football like "Was it over the line?" or "Was he offside?" are absolutely 100% accurate now due to the introduction of technology which has aided the game. But there are still a huge amount of decisions like the one yesterday where they are subjective and require a third party. All sets of fans will still feel aggrieved with VAR to an extent. If United had lost to that goal yesterday, it would still have been a judgement call and their fans would have been up in arms about it, rather than us. That's unfortunate, but it's how the game has always been.

That's why three blokes who are professionally trained in the laws of the game, working in the best league in the world, who know the rules of the game better than any of us and who don't have a horse in the race, all work together to come up with what they consider to be the right outcome for each decision, in the fastest possible time. Whatever answer they give, someone is going to say they are wrong.

That's a tough gig.

The league apologized to Marco Silva back in November for three ocassions they called it wrong.

I don't think the refs are bent but I do think that entrusting the job to the people who were getting it wrong so consistently we had to bring in VAR was a strange decision. Is it beyond the ken of man to get recently retired referees who can still remember the rules to run the technology? A Collina (I know, I know...) or a Nielsen, even Howard bloody Webb was better than this mob.

For once, I agree with Allardyce in his assessment yesterday. The issue isn't the calls, those are a symptom, its the fact the league is a multi billion dollar industry that invests absolute peanuts in recruiting, training and developing officials so a standard of "will this do?" prevails. How long has it been since England had a FIFA list referee?

entrusting the job to the people who were getting it wrong so consistently we had to bring in VAR was a strange decision.

VAR was always going to come in irrespective of the standard of refereeing at the time. It's an advancement in technology which allows officials to decide with 100% accuracy on things like offsides, did the ball cross the line etc which wouldn't have been possible without it as the human eye simply can't see.

The reality is that, with a decision like yesterday, if that goes in our favour then United fans would be upset and they would be arguing the finer points of the rules associated with 'interfering with play'. There can be no system which is 100% accurate on everything. Somebody is ALWAYS going to be aggrieved somewhere. It's a fact of the game, sometimes it goes for you and others it goes against you. I don't disagree with you that the standard of reffing could be improved but I don't think it's too far off where it needs to be.

When you assess how VAR has performed this season, we've not been disproportionately hard done by, certainly not by comparison.

It is, at least, a relief to hear you don't believe the refs are bent as was so often put forth yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.