Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clearly a foul.

I don’t disagree with you, but if it was that cut and dry, you’d have thought Carlo or the players would have protested it. None of them did.

For me, it’s one of the many comings together you see in Football where a defender attempts to block a shot, fails and the follow through takes the player. The officials probably looked at it as, it’s not prevented a goalscoring opportunity, it’s not hindered the player shooting as the coming together was afterward.

Perhaps if the players protested at all, they might have got it reviewed.

It's not a back pass, it's a deflection in which it isn't clear if Maguire has played the ball or its just hit him.

It shouldn't matter, GS doesn't interfere with a thing.

if it bounced off his head it was a back pass, it bounced off his foot, it’s a back pass. I’m sure the refs will do cartwheels over this but it was a goal......

Seriously? The ball was in the back of the net within 4 seconds of him having been hacked to the floor.
Can we please stop being so 'Everton', falling over ourselves to try and give credit to what was clearly a disgustingly bad VAR decision. Take a look at the 'interfering with play' rules. There was absolutely no 'line of sight' dimension. De Gea had a perfect view, so good in fact that he correctly moved to his right. Unfortunately for him, the ball then hits one of his own players and thereafter there is absolutely nothing he can do to stop the ball entering then net. So, quite simply, whether Sigurddson was there or not is an irrelevance. Moss clearly does not know the laws of the game. What a shocking indictment of our footballing referees.

What is irrelevant is the negativity, conspiracy, corruption type claims being made in this thread amd elsewhere.

All the moaning, sniping, complaining isn't going to change a god damn single thing.

The result is 1-1, the game isn't going to be replayed, John Moss and co. will carry on.

Onto next week

Good performance from the Blues today and can count ourselves unlucky with the VAR decision - kept going to the end.

We're definitely getting better and closer as the weeks under Carlo pass.

Nothing to do with luck: plain and simple match-fixing in favour of the Sky Six

if it bounced off his head it was a back pass, it bounced off his foot, it’s a back pass. I’m sure the refs will do cartwheels over this but it was a goal......

It was definately a goal.

It just wasn't a backpass, no matter which limb it deflected off.

I don’t disagree with you, but if it was that cut and dry, you’d have thought Carlo or the players would have protested it. None of them did.

For me, it’s one of the many comings together you see in Football where a defender attempts to block a shot, fails and the follow through takes the player. The officials probably looked at it as, it’s not prevented a goalscoring opportunity, it’s not hindered the player shooting as the coming together was afterward.

Perhaps if the players protested at all, they might have got it reviewed.

Because within 30 seconds of the foul, we scored, everyone was celebrating

I think there's a bit of a misconception here over whether Maguire touching the ball resets the offside. It doesn't.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage. "

Basically IFAB define deliberately in this sense as playing the ball, kicking the ball etc etc, whereas a deflection where the ball hits an opponent who was not attempting to play it doesn't change the offside. Common sense really in the difference between a deliberate play and a deflection. I'm pretty sure it was a deflection off Maguire, he didn't deliberately backheeel the ball into his own goal.
Funny thing is if it doesn't hit Maguire it's never going to be called offside.

The goal should have stood. Line of sight rule means degea can't see the ball. With sigs on the floor he could clearly see the ball and Calvert lewin.

But you're right, how sigs misses the chance in the first place I'll never know. Can he not just put his foot through the ball instead of trying to sidefoot every chance that falls to him?
He was hacked down. Penalty all day long as opposed to a miss.....but hey, that doesn’t fit the agenda too many Blues have regarding Sigurdsson

It was definately a goal.

It just wasn't a backpass, no matter which limb it deflected off.

The shot wasn't on target, if it had gone in without Sigurdsson being in an offside position, it would have been deemed an own goal - hence Sigurdsson can't be offside.

It was a clear as day penalty before it anyway.

What is irrelevant is the negativity, conspiracy, corruption type claims being made in this thread amd elsewhere.

All the moaning, sniping, complaining isn't going to change a god damn single thing.

The result is 1-1, the game isn't going to be replayed, John Moss and co. will carry on.

Onto next week
I agree with aspects of the second point because as you said the game isn't going to be replayed and the decision cannot be overturned - it's history now.

Nevertheless, the situation we have now where officiating in this country, including VAR, is inconsistent at best and certain clubs almost certainly still benefit...

... from a bias (concious or unconscious) will remain the precedent if people sit on their hands and do not make a fuss. Personally, I do not like the status quo!

Before the game, we were talking about how German fans are very vocal and active about decision in the game, and they will make their feelings heard.

I wish there was more of that here.

Robbed. That ref was a joke and let Maguire ref it for him. Turns out he’s from Manchester himself!

That decision was a disgrace at the end, and it was a definite penalty on Siggurdson anyway.

De Gea can see over the top of Siggs, he makes a sees DCLs shot going to his right side and moves to cover it, when the ball hits Maguire he is stranded, Siggs being in an offside position had no bearing on De Gea, he was beaten all ends up, it was a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.