Everton Youth Teams Thread

Thanks for that, any information on Higgins, age, position etc.
Despite our site having Liam Higgins as “:England” he’s been playing in the some of the same Welsh sides (15, u16) as Ryan Astley , Rhys Hughes, and Josh Hosie. I’m not sure if he was playing up or just how his birthday occurred.
For the u18s he’s been mainly left midfield/ left wing, though switching to the right throughout the game . There was one game where it looked like he may have been down as a left back, can’t confirm that though.
While this was seen as an opportunity by Unsworth to try out u18 players like Hughes, Onyango, Quirk they've featured before, and Unsworth has been cagey about bringing through youngsters in the past , he likes to bed them in first, the fact he picked Higgins to play is a big complement. Nice to that Unsworth is giving youngsters a chance, that’s three 1st year Scholars that have featured this season, Higgins, Dobbin and Onyango. From memory in the past few seasons only Astley and Gordon have featured at U23s level while 1st years.

Despite our site having Liam Higgins as “:England” he’s been playing in the some of the same Welsh sides (15, u16) as Ryan Astley , Rhys Hughes, and Josh Hosie. I’m not sure if he was playing up or just how his birthday occurred.
For the u18s he’s been mainly left midfield/ left wing, though switching to the right throughout the game . There was one game where it looked like he may have been down as a left back, can’t confirm that though.
While this was seen as an opportunity by Unsworth to try out u18 players like Hughes, Onyango, Quirk they've featured before, and Unsworth has been cagey about bringing through youngsters in the past , he likes to bed them in first, the fact he picked Higgins to play is a big complement. Nice to that Unsworth is giving youngsters a chance, that’s three 1st year Scholars that have featured this season, Higgins, Dobbin and Onyango. From memory in the past few seasons only Astley and Gordon have featured at U23s level while 1st years.
Thanks for your reply on Liam Higgins, he was a young player I hadn’t heard about before, thanks again blueloon.

Haha I think Tammy is a good finisher. Anyway, rather have Simms in the academy than not have him but I’m not quite on the same hype train everyone else is.
A bit unfair Nymz. I don't think there's any hype train surrounding him. There were a few daft calls late last season and early this season for him to be thrown in the first team, but that was pure desperation stakes and not from anybody who is a regular poster in here. Those shouts have all but ended now Dom is knocking in a few.

The kid is doing OK. He still has a lot to learn but he was outstanding at U18 level and has scored regularly at U23 level too. Even the very best young strikers would struggle in a team that regularly plays 5 defenders and 4 defensive midfielders. Ideally, in an U23 system that encouraged development rather than results, he would have spent the second half of last season in the U23s and would now be out on loan in the championship. But at worst he is only months behind schedule rather than years so there's still hope he can make it here.

For a big guy he has deceptive pace and is very assured in front of goal. He also has every type of goal in his locker, with both feet too. They are all traits you either have or you don't, they can't be coached. He appears to have a good attitude too. So hopefully he can continue to develop and learn the aspects of the game where he's currently deficient. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen though.

Kane is always a good arguement to use as anyone who seen him play wouldnt of thought he would develop into the striker he became, but the arguement never seems to work for our players, i always used kane to compare with DCL but no one listened. but yeah simms has got a good standing to grow into a top class slotter ;)
Kane is probably the best "old style" centre forward in the world. It isn't just his finishing, which is top class, but his link play now is also exceptional when he drops deep. I doubt anybody would have imagined he would develop into such a player when he was 21. He's starting to get regular injuries, which is worrying, but that would be the only thing that stopped him becoming both England's and the Premier League's all time record goal scorer.

A bit unfair Nymz. I don't think there's any hype train surrounding him. There were a few daft calls late last season and early this season for him to be thrown in the first team, but that was pure desperation stakes and not from anybody who is a regular poster in here. Those shouts have all but ended now Dom is knocking in a few.

The kid is doing OK. He still has a lot to learn but he was outstanding at U18 level and has scored regularly at U23 level too. Even the very best young strikers would struggle in a team that regularly plays 5 defenders and 4 defensive midfielders. Ideally, in an U23 system that encouraged development rather than results, he would have spent the second half of last season in the U23s and would now be out on loan in the championship. But at worst he is only months behind schedule rather than years so there's still hope he can make it here.

For a big guy he has deceptive pace and is very assured in front of goal. He also has every type of goal in his locker, with both feet too. They are all traits you either have or you don't, they can't be coached. He appears to have a good attitude too. So hopefully he can continue to develop and learn the aspects of the game where he's currently deficient. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen though.

There were quite a few posters saying this and whether regular or not I think that qualifies as hype. Anyway, I've said he's a good finisher but seen lots of good finishers in English academies before do nothing. Still has to show me more of an all round game to get excited but he's young and I hope he does.

David Unsworth described Ellis Simms as "superb" after the striker scored a second 90th-minute winner in as many matches as Everton Under-23s beat Watford 1-0 in a Premier League Cup clash on Friday night.

With time ebbing away at St Albans FC, debutant Liam Higgins fed Simms on the right and he produced a precise finish for his 12th goal of the season.

Everton had already qualified for the Premier League Cup knockout stages prior to the match but the result means the young Blues have now won their past three matches in all competitions.

“I’m not even going to talk about Ellis's goal, I am going to talk about his performance,” said Unsworth.

“He was absolutely superb. His hold-up play, his threat, his power and his link-up play were exceptional.

“The stuff we’ve worked with him on since pre-season, he is now bringing into this game and I am so proud of him. When you apply yourself the way that Ellis has you reap the rewards.

“It was nice for Liam to get an assist. He’s come into the group and trained with us and I’ve liked him straight away.

"He’s hungry. I asked him if he wanted to come on and he said ‘yes’ and I asked if he could play right midfield and he said ‘yes’. I don’t know if he ever has [played there before] but he was terrific and it was a great pass for the goal.”

Prior to that moment of quality, the game appeared to be heading for a goalless draw.

Tyler Onyango was denied early on by Daniel Bachmann in the Watford goal – the keeper diving bravely to stop the young midfielder’s effort after an excellent free-kick delivery from Rhys Hughes.

Hughes wasn’t too far away himself on 38 minutes when he created some space on the edge of the box and curled his shot just wide.

The same player could have scored a couple of minutes after the break but he didn’t strike his close-range effort cleanly enough and it was comfortably saved by Bachmann.

On 74 minutes, Manasse Mampala skipped past a couple of challenges only to see his final effort smothered by the keeper.

At the other end, Blues keeper Harry Tyrer was a relative spectator. Watford did have efforts on goal they were off target for the most part.

Venezuelan striker Adaberto Penaranda drilled a low shot into the side netting midway through the second half but by and large the Blues rearguard was untroubled.

“I can’t speak highly enough of the young players tonight,” said Unsworth.

“We made some changes and gave some young players an opportunity and they didn’t let us down. Watford had an experienced side for this level of football, so that shows you how well we performed.
I don't know whether my dislike for Unsworth is making me over cynical, but I'm actually quite shocked by his admission that he didn't know whether Liam Higgins had ever played right mid before. Surely it's his job to know. Does he never watch the U18s play?. Invariably they play on different days and also at the academy. It wouldn't be too much of a hardship for him to watch the home games at least.

I don't know whether my dislike for Unsworth is making me over cynical, but I'm actually quite shocked by his admission that he didn't know whether Liam Higgins had ever played right mid before. Surely it's his job to know. Does he never watch the U18s play?. Invariably they play on different days and also at the academy. It wouldn't be too much of a hardship for him to watch the home games at least.
Thought exactly the same thing when I saw the quote of him not knowing if Higgins had ever played right mid seems really strange not to know where best a players position is when bringing him up to the u23s

There were quite a few posters saying this and whether regular or not I think that qualifies as hype. Anyway, I've said he's a good finisher but seen lots of good finishers in English academies before do nothing. Still has to show me more of an all round game to get excited but he's young and I hope he does.
Disagree mate. The calls were coming from people who don't understand youth football. None of our regulars on here were saying any such thing. That's what matters to me.

I wasn't questioning your view of the player. I'm pretty much with you on that, other than to add that he has the raw talent, the area's he needs to improve on can all be coached. I'd much rather that than the other way around.

Disagree mate. The calls were coming from people who don't understand youth football. None of our regulars on here were saying any such thing. That's what matters to me.

I wasn't questioning your view of the player. I'm pretty much with you on that, other than to add that he has the raw talent, the area's he needs to improve on can all be coached. I'd much rather that than the other way around.

I had a search through the archives and found some regulars asking for him BUT did also find some hilarious DCL posts in there too from people. This one in particular has aged well:

Striker. What the hell is it with Everton and strikers? We needed a striker as back-up to Lukaku the day he signed permanently. It used to be left-midfield, how have we been left in this position again? It isn't DCL's fault that he is absolute garbage and will never make it, he is living the dream... like the old golf pro at your local course getting a wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup. Yes, Kean is a fantastic signing, but he was never going to come straight in and blow this league away at 19. Either stick with Kean, play Tosun and play for his strengths, or even play Simms. Just never wanna see DCL in the team again. At 27/28 DCL will be playing at his peak... at Forest Green! He would suit those inoffensive, compassionate, its not-about-winning-its-about-taking-part vegans. Bin DCL, please. His career highlight we be getting the number 9 shirt for one season at Everton FC.

I had a search through the archives and found some regulars asking for him BUT did also find some hilarious DCL posts in there too from people. This one in particular has aged well:

Striker. What the hell is it with Everton and strikers? We needed a striker as back-up to Lukaku the day he signed permanently. It used to be left-midfield, how have we been left in this position again? It isn't DCL's fault that he is absolute garbage and will never make it, he is living the dream... like the old golf pro at your local course getting a wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup. Yes, Kean is a fantastic signing, but he was never going to come straight in and blow this league away at 19. Either stick with Kean, play Tosun and play for his strengths, or even play Simms. Just never wanna see DCL in the team again. At 27/28 DCL will be playing at his peak... at Forest Green! He would suit those inoffensive, compassionate, its not-about-winning-its-about-taking-part vegans. Bin DCL, please. His career highlight we be getting the number 9 shirt for one season at Everton FC.
Haha.

Mate, you could make a book from all the ante Dom posts on here. You won't find one from me though.;)

No u18 game this morning?
3rd placed Everton u18s are back in action tomorrow v bottom placed sunderland who have a perfect record this season of played 13 lost 13 and as said last week have only won 4 games all comps in 2 years with one of them been Everton april 2018,there last win was end of august and they have not won a home game since april last year-this is the final game of the run of 4 away 3 of them in the league before they finally have a home game v man utd next week [29th feb] before an away game 2 weeks later at Liverpool 14th march-both the man utd and liverpool games are Live
Not sure what time kick off is but I'm sure Ring will be on soon with his usual updates.