Everton Youth Teams Thread

We seem to be very good at producing young players for a league1/2 level
I appreciate obviously most will end up at best at that level but it seems difficult to get any to a Premiership level coming through the ranks despite investing decent money
Lers hope the likes of Gibson will pay off

Last edited:

@Eggs I consider you the voice of reason on this stuff. Simms stepped up a level and is still producing. Can we get excited about him yet?

...he’s not as prolific as last season but he’s certainly got an eye for a goal. When they largely kept him in his own age group last season (despite stepping up the likes of Gordon) I wondered if the coaches didn’t think he was worth the hype, but he’s looking decent.

Personally, I wouldn’t be ‘excited’ about him but I’m pleasantly surprised at what I see. He’s a great height and is a threat when he gets behind the back four. He’s ok with his back to goal, but I think he needs to be a bit more physical in going to war with defenders. I’d also like to see him be more powerful aerially and exploit his size.

Simms has got a chance, but it’s a massive step up especially for a striker where the skill set is so difficult to attain. He can’t be much younger than Kean when he broke into the Juventus team. I’m not sure how old DCL was when he got an opportunity with us. A good sign will be what the club do with his contract situation.

Fingers crossed.

...he’s not as prolific as last season but he’s certainly got an eye for a goal. When they largely kept him in his own age group last season (despite stepping up the likes of Gordon) I wondered if the coaches didn’t think he was worth the hype, but he’s looking decent.

Personally, I wouldn’t be ‘excited’ about him but I’m pleasantly surprised at what I see. He’s a great height and is a threat when he gets behind the back four. He’s ok with his back to goal, but I think he needs to be a bit more physical in going to war with defenders. I’d also like to see him be more powerful aerially and exploit his size.

Simms has got a chance, but it’s a massive step up especially for a striker where the skill set is so difficult to attain. He can’t be much younger than Kean when he broke into the Juventus team. I’m not sure how old DCL was when he got an opportunity with us. A good sign will be what the club do with his contract situation.

Fingers crossed.

At 19 DCL had already played in the Sheff Utd first team, a loan at staylybridge & on the brink of his Everton debut.
Moise Kean had played a year on loan in serie A & being used in the Juve first team squad by Simms' age.
Richarlison had played a full season in Serie B in brazil & a full season in Serie A in Brazil.
Harry Kane had already played for Leyton Orient & Milwall and on the brink of another loan to Norwich at Simms age.

My point being, irelevant of success of these appearences, they were cutting there teeth in mens football!
Been said tonnes of time on here, but how many players end up being a success by playing u23s for a regular amount of time?

We seem to be very good at producing young players for a league1/2 level
I appreciate obviously most will end up at best at that level but it seems difficult to get any to a Premiership level coming through the ranks despite investing decent money
Lers hope the likes of Gibson will pay off

....interesting to split Academy players into two categories; those that have come through the ranks and those purchased for the Academy. We probably haven’t done too bad.

Kenny and Davies have come through the ranks and got plenty of game time in recent times. Gordon is on the verge, Dowell, Pennington and Baningime all been around the scene without becoming regulars.

The buying promising youngsters strategy is perhaps more fruitful, given the money we got for Stones. DCL, Holgate, Lookman and Gibson were all purchases. Adeniran is another training with the first team.

At 19 DCL had already played in the Sheff Utd first team, a loan at staylybridge & on the brink of his Everton debut.
Moise Kean had played a year on loan in serie A & being used in the Juve first team squad by Simms' age.
Richarlison had played a full season in Serie B in brazil & a full season in Serie A in Brazil.
Harry Kane had already played for Leyton Orient & Milwall and on the brink of another loan to Norwich at Simms age.

My point being, irelevant of success of these appearences, they were cutting there teeth in mens football!
Been said tonnes of time on here, but how many players end up being a success by playing u23s for a regular amount of time?

...or perhaps the players you mention are simply superior. It’s an interesting point you make which is why I highlighted where DCL and Kean were at the same age. Saying that, playing youngsters in open-age football isn’t a recipe for success, but I do think there’s an argument for the old central League system.

...or perhaps the players you mention are simply superior. It’s an interesting point you make which is why I highlighted where DCL and Kean were at the same age. Saying that, playing youngsters in open-age football isn’t a recipe for success, but I do think there’s an argument for the old central League system.

Oh i agree. There is not a 'set' way for any young player or centre forward to develop.
If you look at all those mentioned apart from richie. They all had 'meh' goal records qt one point or another in there loans.
Hazard a guess if we loaned Simms to Burton and he got 4 goals in 20 appearences, would people call him a dudd?