Should we give the RS a guard of honour? (poll)

Should we?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not paying respect to the club, you'd be paying respect to the team.

It's traditional in the same way that the pre-match handshakes are there to imply good conduct, fairness and sportsmanship. Those things don't always take place from both sides in Merseyside derbies, but the handshakes always take place.

The handshakes are important because they show mutual respect from the players as professionals. The handshakes aren't forced either. If players choose not to shake hands, they could do, but what sort of message would that send to our fanbase and theirs.

I don't see why you're mentioning violence, violence should never ever come into a game of Football and I'd hope we all agree on that. This is a Football match, it's not war. I've young family members who are red and young family members who are blue, some of whom will be at the derby.

It's a rivalry and passion is important but the likelihood is that there will only be one scouser on the pitch, one actual fan of either side. It's ultimately a game, played by a maximum of 28 professionals, the vast majority of whom have no loyalty or attachment to either club beyond a paid contract of employment.

I don't think it's an issue to show respect to winners. We're not sore losers. And that's precisely how we'll be portrayed if the club were to give it a miss.

I fully expect that Ancelotti and the intelligent people at the club would appreciate that and, if the cards fall in such a way and the scenario raises it's ugly head, it will happen. I'm certain of it.

That's not a good enough reason for us not to do it now.
Yes let's have ice tea on Stanley park as well and sing for they are jolly good fellows.
You talk bollocks

Brave man taking all these on.

For me, it's all about this us vs. them mentality.

I've seen friends go to prison for football related violence, had the windows of the coach i was on smashed in, bricks thrown at me, have seen old people and children put in harms way by mindless idiots, all because of this us vs. them mentality that exists in football, and it's sickening.

The idea that people can't pay some respect where to is due, because of die-hard rivalry, is what fuels this mentality.

Do i like the red shites, no, do i want them to lose every game, yes. Will i give respect to any football team when they have had the season they have, and played the football they have, of course i will.

Yeah respect, just loved the way the Redman respected Man Cities coach, not so long ago. To get respect you have to earn it first. Their fans show no respect, it works both ways. Yes they have the best team this year, no doubts, but best fans, give me a break.

Brave man taking all these on.

For me, it's all about this us vs. them mentality.

I've seen friends go to prison for football related violence, had the windows of the coach i was on smashed in, bricks thrown at me, have seen old people and children put in harms way by mindless idiots, all because of this us vs. them mentality that exists in football, and it's sickening.

The idea that people can't pay some respect where to is due, because of die-hard rivalry, is what fuels this mentality.

Do i like the red shites, no, do i want them to lose every game, yes. Will i give respect to any football team when they have had the season they have, and played the football they have, of course i will.

So you’ve apparently been on a coach when the windows were smashed in and bricks thrown by mindless idiots, yet you want to pay your respects to a team whose “supporters (?)” did just that not too long ago to the Man City team bus - Mmmm let me have a think about that one!

Cannot believe that this is a serious suggestion, a guard of honour for the RS. It must have come from an "out of town fan" Cornwall? Glasgow?

I can’t see him being from Glasgow.....he would know better.

People there would just lol at the notion of Celtic or Rangers fans wearing this kind of nonsense.

Yeah respect, just loved the way the Redman respected Man Cities coach, not so long ago. To get respect you have to earn it first. Their fans show no respect, it works both ways. Yes they have the best team this year, no doubts, but best fans, give me a break.

We wouldn't be clapping their fans mate.

In truth, we wouldn't be clapping anyone. The players would. And they'd only be clapping their team. The best team, as you said.

Nothing to do with their club or their fans. It's a professional respect, much like the pre-match handshakes.

I can’t see him being from Glasgow.....he would know better.

People there would just lol at the notion of Celtic or Rangers fans wearing this kind of nonsense.

Celtic and Rangers have given each other guards of honour before. As have Barca and Madrid and most other rival teams.

Most recently, as @roydo pointed out, Rangers refused to do it and the reaction was that it made them look quite small time and lacking in class.

Now that's the SPL, magnify that reaction many times over because of the viewership and publicity of the Premier League and we could very quickly lose a lot of credibility as a club.

Celtic and Rangers have given each other guards of honour before. As have Barca and Madrid and most other rival teams.

Most recently, as @roydo pointed out, Rangers refused to do it and the reaction was that it made them look quite small time and lacking in class.

Now that's the SPL, magnify that reaction many times over because of the viewership and publicity of the Premier League and we could very quickly lose a lot of credibility as a club.

I am talking about the fans.

The clubs might sanction it but I bet the fans were not best pleased.

We wouldn't be clapping their fans mate.

I know we wouldn't clap their team or fans....some might.
In truth, we wouldn't be clapping anyone. The players would. And they'd only be clapping their team. The best team, as you said.

Suppose that's up to the players, not us. And they are the best team, not one eyed enough not to see that.

Nothing to do with their club or their fans. It's a professional respect, much like the pre-match handshakes.

End of answers.

I am talking about the fans.

The clubs might sanction it but I bet the fans were not best pleased.

Well no, of course they weren't. But since when do the collective views of fans amount to what's best for a Football club?

Everton is a club that has been mismanaged for years, I dread to think if every decision was put to fan vote though - we'd have gone bump long ago.

End of answers.

:Blink:

I know it's wikipedia but there's precedent:

A number of years ago when Manure won the league at Goodison, the FA threatened to fine us £60k and/or impose a points deduction should we refuse. David Moyes dared them and asked to be shown the ruling. The FA did what they do best ie; sod all. The precedent has been set. By Everton. Everton did their lap of honour and MU received the trophy in an otherwise empty stadium.
It could be that the trophy is awarded in front of the away fans end at the end of the game.That way all the squeaky clean holier than thou super tolerant 'fans' can remain with the scum and join in the 'celebrations'

Maybe its my personal mindset. Its a sport. If you cannot show respect to a winning TEAM, (not club, nor supporters, but team), you really have no right expecting any respect coming your way any time soon.

I remember many years ago when United were awarded the PL trophy at Goodison after their final game. It was sound, and Evertonian, that thousands of Blues stayed behind to respect the best team that season and applaud when they were presented with the trophy.

Reckon that would happen at Anfield? No. Me neither. Thats the difference. Thats what we are.

edit. My memory must be different than Wiki apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.