Homepage Article Duncan Ferguson “Won’t Ask For The Job”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont like him. I cant be conned. I never liked him as a player apart from his prowess in the air, and as a coach he did nothing.

If he wants the Everton job let him go elsewhere and earn it. If he did that, no problem.
To not like him is a tad too strong imo. He was wrongly jailed imo, and he gave two thieves a hiding. He did a great interview with ToffeeTV the other week and he comes across very well.

As a player he could be unplayable for the opposition, gave defenders nightmares, but the major criticism I had of him was him being on the pitch meant the team was going to play direct football. That direct style of play only gets you so far. That’s not to say he wasn’t good on the floor (he was more than decent), but his major strength being in the air meant the ball was often in the clouds...as Clough once said,..”if God wanted us to play football in the clouds he’d have put grass up there”.

Great win for him today, and one that I expected tbh.

As much as I love Dunc, and as great as what he managed to get out of the players in such a short space of time was, the man himself is right - it was one game and we want the very best at Everton.

If the club see managerial potential in him, they should suggest making him assistant manager to our next manager - giving him greater responsibility and grooming him to take over. If that was the case, it should involve him speaking his mind more, doing the odd press conference etc. However, if the incoming manager is not happy with this, then they should leave him as a coach. Plenty of teams have two assistant managers, so whoever comes in could still keep their trusted no. 2 from previous appointments.

The caveat here is the getting a top manager bit. I see zero point in doing this if we were to get in a Moyes etc.

To not like him is a tad too strong imo. He was wrongly jailed imo, and he gave two thieves a hiding. He did a great interview with ToffeeTV the other week and he comes across very well.

As a player he could be unplayable for the opposition, gave defenders nightmares, but the major criticism I had of him was him being on the pitch meant the team was going to play direct football. That direct style of play only gets you so far. That’s not to say he wasn’t good on the floor (he was more than decent), but his major strength being in the air meant the ball was often in the clouds...as Clough once said,..”if God wanted us to play football in the clouds he’d have put grass up there”.

Clogged said @ if god wanted us to play football in the clouds , he would have put refs there “ I believe

He (Ferguosn) basically led Everton manager's to go long in the mid-to-late 90s, and Moyes picked up on the tactic when he arrived. In fact, Moyes put together a half decent football side at Preston. When he got here he looked at what he had in the squad and what the crowd seemingly wanted and handed it to them. Hooooof!

He (Ferguosn) basically led Everton manager's to go long in the mid-to-late 90s, and Moyes picked up on the tactic when he arrived. In fact, Moyes put together a half decent football side at Preston. When he got here he looked at what he had in the squad and what the crowd seemingly wanted and handed it to them. Hooooof!

Ferguson was good on the ground and played well with the ball in to feet. We also played good football under Moyes, it wasn't always punt the ball forward.

We enjoy the moment, but we need to manage expectation. its rare, but today was our day. We scored at perfect times, we rode our luck in the 1st half. The players were full throttle, the stadium was bouncing.

From a team perspective, we are still struggling. Less than 20 points at Christmas is absolutely relegation form. Today might have been ‘bounce’, but it was a much needed 3 points. Games won’t always be like today’s game.
Some sense here. ^^^

People wont take it off me, perhaps they will from you.

Plainly you're both right, and we need a permanent manager who can take us forward because adrenaline and effort will only take you so far, though the effort should always be there, and, for a lot of the time over the last few seasons, it's often been less than 100%.

Incidentally, the reason that people will listen to @Eggs rather than @davek is because one of them is plainly serious and well informed, whereas the other is well informed but looks to be controversial to be edgy online.

If you choose the latter option, then you can't complain when people think you're a bit of a tit. Which, given the serious stuff I've read online from who I assume davek is ( and I think I vaguely knew his brother years ago ) is all a bit odd, but each to their own.

Plainly you're both right, and we need a permanent manager who can take us forward because adrenaline and effort will only take you so far, though the effort should always be there, and, for a lot of the time over the last few seasons, it's often been less than 100%.

Incidentally, the reason that people will listen to @Eggs rather than @davek is because one of them is plainly serious and well informed, whereas the other is well informed but looks to be controversial to be edgy online.

If you choose the latter option, then you can't complain when people think you're a bit of a tit. Which, given the serious stuff I've read online from who I assume davek is ( and I think I vaguely knew his brother years ago ) is all a bit odd, but each to their own.
Good post mate.

Love that quote, hope the blues continue to play like him so long as he's the boss. And if anything he needs to stay with us in some capacity after this post. Even if just to grab players by the scruff of the neck on occasion to remind them what playing for this club means. Or should mean.

Well said Dunc.

Didn't Unsworth come out and say he deffo wanted it and then we played gash.

We played ok given circumstance. We played gash if you follow Fat Sam's line of thinking and take credit for that 4-0 thrashing of West Ham. Unsy would have been better to keep than Sam for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.