Everton Youth Teams Thread

That, I understand. But it seems a bit odd, given that part of Brands' job was supposed to be integrating a style of playing throughout the club and ages.

It depends if zonal/man marking falls into the “Everton style” I guess. Maybe Brands is okay with the manager picking a preference and based on the type of players available.

Let’s hope Marco is just a rebel and this is Brands vision of am Everton style because least it works.

It depends if zonal/man marking falls into the “Everton style” I guess. Maybe Brands is okay with the manager picking a preference and based on the type of players available.

Let’s hope Marco is just a rebel and this is Brands vision of am Everton style because least it works.
To be fair, it works because they have two (even three) good experienced (at this level) central defenders in the back four so, yes, they are playing to their strengths.

Why are the U23s not playing zonal marking (if that is our policy, right or wrong)?

Great individual goal from Simms. 0-1
This time last year when the first team were losing so many goals from poor defending at set pieces using the zonal marking system, the U23s stood out with their sound man for man defence at set pieces. You could argue this many ways, and certainly Unsworth ‘s biggest strength is getting the best out of young defenders.

Not many world class full-backs are big and strong these days. Jordi Alba? Would you call him physical?
Indeed, one of the modern requirements for a full back is the ability to get down the wing and cross the ball, in this respect John, a converted winger/midfielder, has the edge over the more physical Astley .I would love to see John get more starts at full back , comparatively he hasn’t played many games there and it would be good to see just how far he can progress .