2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think it’s reckless now because now we know he likely wasn’t fit enough to play. At the time you can only go on the info you’ve got. You can’t bash someone over hindsight.
I'm not trying to bash you. I was just saying that I could see why we picked him and you were saying you couldn't. I'm now just pointing out that you're only saying that with the benefit of hindsight because it's not what you said at the time. I'm sure Silva is the same, if he'd realised he was going to get injured and be out for 6 months he wouldn't have picked him, but as we've just established, it seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time.

I'm not trying to bash you. I was just saying that I could see why we picked him and you were saying you couldn't. I'm now just pointing out that you're only saying that with the benefit of hindsight because it's not what you said at the time. I'm sure Silva is the same, if he'd realised he was going to get injured and be out for 6 months he wouldn't have picked him, but as we've just established, it seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time.

Well, reasonable for us fans. Surely Silva would know if he was PL ready or not. Maybe he was and the injury in training was just freak but to me it seems like an overload injury. I’m only bashing Silva because 1) He has the info, and 2) He picked Gbamin to come on over Davies.

Well, reasonable for us fans. Surely Silva would know if he was PL ready or not. Maybe he was and the injury in training was just freak but to me it seems like an overload injury. I’m only bashing Silva because 1) He has the info, and 2) He picked Gbamin to come on over Davies.
He will almost certainly have been 'fit' according to any tests they can do. Chances are he tired after finding the game tough and then picked up an injury. Gomes and Delph had pre-seasons but have both picked up injuries too. I just think it's unfair to make out like it was ridiculous to play him when there's no real evidence to back it up. We have a habit of doing this when things start to go bad, whether it's managers, CEOs, chairmen or players. We start to make out like every single thing they do is evidence of the narrative we've decided to run with - in this case managerial incompetence.

I disagree. Other than Digne, it's tat. Utter tat.

Digne as you say quality

Mina is far better than Ashley Williams/jagielka who played in his spot

Gbanim to replace gueye- harsh one to judge as gueye wanted to go and in no way are we getting someone as good as gueye in, he was unreal, also injuries have made this one hard to judge

gomes is quality

richarlison is better than Walcott/bolasie/mirallas or whatever combination we had before brands ( as is Bernard )

Kean- jury still out but he will come good and is better than anyone we have

how has the squad gotten worse since he came? gueye aside who wanted to go. who have we replaced with someone worse?

Digne as you say quality

Mina is far better than Ashley Williams/jagielka who played in his spot

Gbanim to replace gueye- harsh one to judge as gueye wanted to go and in no way are we getting someone as good as gueye in, he was unreal, also injuries have made this one hard to judge

gomes is quality

richarlison is better than Walcott/bolasie/mirallas or whatever combination we had before brands ( as is Bernard )

Kean- jury still out but he will come good and is better than anyone we have

how has the squad gotten worse since he came? gueye aside who wanted to go. who have we replaced with someone worse?
Good man you are with common sense. The team is looking much better the more we spend.... the results just arent there. Wish Gbamin wouldn't be hurt. Dude would fill much of our needs on the defensive side of the ball and unlike half our team, he actually goes forward with the ball (Once he gets comfortable)

I think Peter Reid had a far better reputation before coming here than we knew of Gbamin. The risk on Reid was that if he stayed fot we had a winner. Brands on the other hand speculated with a huge fee on a player with 9 previous injuries.

BIG difference.
Reid was a calculated gamble. He had a really good reputation and we'd tried to sign him previously for 600K (if memory serves me right), then he got a bad injury. Kendall knew he didn't have any money and for the small bit that EFC could get together he decided that Reid was a gamble worth taking at £60K (again if memory serves me right.) Not at all like signing Gbamin in my opinion.

Reid was a calculated gamble. He had a really good reputation and we'd tried to sign him previously for 600K (if memory serves me right), then he got a bad injury. Kendall knew he didn't have any money and for the small bit that EFC could get together he decided that Reid was a gamble worth taking at £60K (again if memory serves me right.) Not at all like signing Gbamin in my opinion.
Exactly.

Brands signing Gbamin was an expensive throw of the dice on an unproven player.

I do agree with this but think that Silva was somewhat forced into this position by last minute transfer deals. If Brands had tied deals up early like he said he was going to then maybe the new signings would've been fitter. Schneiderlin getting himself sent off on day 1 didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.