2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the time the club had to change banks to get enough money together to sign Peter Reid , we were completely strapped for money at that time and we were refused finance by our current bank. I remember reading an article by Howard Kendall on his signing..... so, it was a far bigger risk then than signing Gbamin is now.

I think Peter Reid had a far better reputation before coming here than we knew of Gbamin. The risk on Reid was that if he stayed fot we had a winner. Brands on the other hand speculated with a huge fee on a player with 9 previous injuries.

BIG difference.

Silva uses the players Brands buys for him. Is he supposed to be blamed for Brands' faults in signing players with fatigue and carrying long standing injury records?

....unless you know something that I don’t, Gbamin didn’t arrive with fatigue and a bad injury record. The fatigue happened Post-signing because he was immediately thrown into the team without a pre-season and also undertook full training.

Silva took a risk and it didn’t pay off.

I think Peter Reid had a far better reputation before coming here than we knew of Gbamin. The risk on Reid was that if he stayed fot we had a winner. Brands on the other hand speculated with a huge fee on a player with 9 previous injuries.

BIG difference.

How much time did those injuries cause him to miss and how does it compare to other 24year old defensive midfielders?

Peter Reid was bought for a bargain basement fee of 60 grand.
True but what about accounting for inflation?

It is being built up into being a big deal because we are in the relegation zone. There seems to be a perception that if Gbamin were to get fit then suddenly our troubles would be over... he has barely played for us and is still settling into the club. We had a similar situation with Gomes last year and we probably had the same knee jerkers reacting in the same way then.

I think we have one player injured, everybody else available to play.
We cannot use injuries as an excuse for poor performances.
Didn’t you know all our players are world beaters when out injured?

How much time did those injuries cause him to miss and how does it compare to other 24year old defensive midfielders?

Tell you what, I did it myself...

Heres the population of similarly aged (22-26) and valued players from transfermarkt I used. Players.PNG

Using the injury data on there I cut it by number of injuries, days out and days out per injury. See results below

days out.PNG days per injury.PNG injuries.PNG

So from this we can see that @davek has a point. Gbamin is absolute top in days out injured, joint second with Dier in absolute number of injuries and third in days per injury. He's a player who (with this latest injury) has an above average propensity to be injured.

However, lets discount the current injury as Brands and Silva aren't possessed of a crystal ball. Taking out one inury and Transfermarkt's 95 day estimation... He's still 3rd in number of injuries, third in days out and still 3rd in days per injury (albeit much closer to the mean.)... His injury record is strikingly similar to Dier in all regards.

I think Wolves had agreed a fee of £600,000 for Peter Reid before he was injured, ironically against Everton, when he had recovered we bought him for a tenth of the fee Wolves had agreed for him, so there must have been big doubts he would get back to the way he was. Luckily for us he proved himself fit and became one of the cornerstones ofEverton’ssuccessin the eighties.

The feller's a buffoon. He buys what Raiola puts his way and doesn't ask too many questions.

In two windows he's spent £250M - and we're as bad as we were under Koeman/Allardyce.

I mean we are performing worse but how much of that is down to Silva?

Squad wise we CERTAINLY have a far better squad than we did under koeman/allardyce ( well Koemans second season squad )

with the right manager and a couple of additions I still think we have a really good squad

BIG difference.
I don't think I agree with that summary Dave.
Peter Reid was regarded as a crock and we took a huge risk in signing him.
I think Gbamin was rushed into the team and paid the price.
Players get injured all the time, it is the nature of the modern game and why a large squad is needed rather than thirteen or fourteen players in the era of Peter Reid.
Gbamin may prove to be injury prove, as might Kean or any other player we sign. I would doubt that we have a single player who didn't miss a game in the last twelve months because of injury, possibly apart from the goalkeeper.

Leaked pre-season dialogue after JPG joins.

Silva: “Look lad, you’re fit, but you’ve picked up a couple of thigh problems over the years which is natural as a pro athlete. What we’re gonna do though is take you straight from the AFCON tournament, skip pre-season as it’s just a bunch of rondo’s & throw you into the most athletic and fast paced league in world football. Got that?”

Silva: “Alright lads, everyone stand on the penalty spot, we’re gonna practice defending a corner”
To be fair he'd played on 11 July and then played half a game for us on 10 August and a full one on 17 August. He should hardly have needed a massive pre-season, there was only a month between games, and plenty of other players from the AFCON played again in the same timeframe.

Brands didn't fail to do due diligence and sign a crock, and Silva wasn't out of order expecting a professional athlete to be fit enough to do what they get paid for. The bloke just got injured, it happens. Just because we're struggling doesn't mean we have to turn everything into a massive drama that somebody needs to get sacked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.