Everton Youth Teams Thread

Going back a year or so Harry Hagan was playing as a centre back along with Dobbin in the England u16, so it was a reasonable expectation that he would feature for our u18 s when the time came. Lately though he hasn’t been picked for England whereas Reece Welch has, and perhaps more telling both Welch and Dylan Thompson have been selected ahead of him for the u18s. But that’s where caution is needed , I know nothing about his circumstances re injury etc, so still plenty of time for him to make his mark.
I don’t bet , but a double on Reece Welch and Ryan Astley playing for their respective countries before they’re 23 would be the one I’d go for !!

Hmm whereas Welch looks promising much harder to get a game for England than Wales. I remember we had a group of welsh youth internationals coming through and Astley was one but who were the others? Hosie, Higgins and Hughes?

Hmm whereas Welch looks promising much harder to get a game for England than Wales. I remember we had a group of welsh youth internationals coming through and Astley was one but who were the others? Hosie, Higgins and Hughes?
Indeed , Welch is doing well to start regularly for England. Yep, at one time we had 5 regulars in the Wales squad captained by Astley from 15 -16. I thought we’d lost two last year as only Astley, Hughes and Hosie got Scholarships, then Liam Higggins appeared this year so it looks like only one didn’t make it through, which may have been a youngster called Michael Ellery.

Isnt Karamoko Dembele the Celtic kid? Thought he was Scottish...

Ive never really understood why we (aside from this 2 year u18 signing ban) never target u18 England internationals from other teams.

Perhaps we feel our own players will develop better but there must be 1 or 2 in every age group who would benefit us?

Ive never really understood why we (aside from this 2 year u18 signing ban) never target u18 England internationals from other teams.

Perhaps we feel our own players will develop better but there must be 1 or 2 in every age group who would benefit us?
Because we generally poach them when they are younger than 18, hence the ban

he swapped to play for England.

Going back a year or so Harry Hagan was playing as a centre back along with Dobbin in the England u16, so it was a reasonable expectation that he would feature for our u18 s when the time came. Lately though he hasn’t been picked for England whereas Reece Welch has, and perhaps more telling both Welch and Dylan Thompson have been selected ahead of him for the u18s. But that’s where caution is needed , I know nothing about his circumstances re injury etc, so still plenty of time for him to make his mark.
I don’t bet , but a double on Reece Welch and Ryan Astley playing for their respective countries before they’re 23 would be the one I’d go for !!
Is Welch that highly rated then? Or do you think it’s his size at this age, which makes him stand out

Well he sees Newcastle giving chances to a youth product or 2, he sees some of his old u17 world cup winning team mates get 1st team chances and he looks at donkey keane and thinks I might as well move on.
Except that isn't really happening at Newcastle at all. The younger Longstaff has played one game for them, the older one is older than Tom Davies and has played about 60/70 less games. They're hardly trailblazers for youth development.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gibson thing is just putting two and two together. It's well known that the Beardsley situation was one of the reasons he wanted out, and now that he's gone it's easy to say oh he might go back.

According to The Guardian,Dobbin is Everton’s young player to watch out for as part of their young players of 2019 series. Five years ago their class of 2014 predicted that Ledson was the one to watch. Pleased that he is doing well at Preston after a couple of player of the year awards at Oxford.

I see the Watford selection is a lad called lo-Everton, get him signed up Marcel!

Is Welch that highly rated then? Or do you think it’s his size at this age, which makes him stand out
Always very difficult to judge , he’s only just turned 16 . Three reasonable markers that i often use are, is he playing above his age for Everton ? , does he play for his country ?, has he got the physicality? So it’s a tick for all three so far. His size must help him to stand out, hopefully it’s not just his size though.

According to The Guardian,Dobbin is Everton’s young player to watch out for as part of their young players of 2019 series. Five years ago their class of 2014 predicted that Ledson was the one to watch. Pleased that he is doing well at Preston after a couple of player of the year awards at Oxford.

2014 Kieran Dowell
2015 Anthony Evans
2016 Alex Denny
2017 Anthony Gordon
2018 Ryan Astley

I think Ledson was in a world selection somewere in 2014 though

Goes to show, obviously Astley & gordon could push on, but not a great success record so far

A few players on the list of note
2014 - Chris Willock (Arsenal-brother of Joe now at Benfica), Solanke (Chelsea - done nothing of note), Choudhoury (Leicester- doing alright), Rashford (Man Utd),
2015 - Marcus McGuane (Was at Arsenal, now Barca B-made a 1st team appearence last season), Trent Alexander Arnold (Liverpool), Josh Maja (Sunderland- In France atm with Bordeaux), Marcus Edwards (Spurs - now playing in Portugal somewere), Reece Oxford (West Ham - continous Bundesliga loans)
2016- Reiss Nelson (Arsenal-doing well), Jadon sancho (Man City- flying at Dortmund)
2017 - Callum Hudson Odoi (Chelsea- doing well), Oliver Skipp (Spurs - in and around first team)

It just goes to show, bar a few elite players (Rashford, Trent, Sancho). Does the acadamy system work for many teams?
Seems alot of this list have had to leave there elite club to find first team football (minus TAA, Rashford, Nelson & Hudson Odoi)

Maybe its just the selections of the journo's - other players picked ahead of likes of Reece James, Mason Mount, Phil Foden, Tammy Abraham- even your Declan Rice's tomori's and Tom Davies'

2014 Kieran Dowell
2015 Anthony Evans
2016 Alex Denny
2017 Anthony Gordon
2018 Ryan Astley

I think Ledson was in a world selection somewere in 2014 though

Goes to show, obviously Astley & gordon could push on, but not a great success record so far

A few players on the list of note
2014 - Chris Willock (Arsenal-brother of Joe now at Benfica), Solanke (Chelsea - done nothing of note), Choudhoury (Leicester- doing alright), Rashford (Man Utd),
2015 - Marcus McGuane (Was at Arsenal, now Barca B-made a 1st team appearence last season), Trent Alexander Arnold (Liverpool), Josh Maja (Sunderland- In France atm with Bordeaux), Marcus Edwards (Spurs - now playing in Portugal somewere), Reece Oxford (West Ham - continous Bundesliga loans)
2016- Reiss Nelson (Arsenal-doing well), Jadon sancho (Man City- flying at Dortmund)
2017 - Callum Hudson Odoi (Chelsea- doing well), Oliver Skipp (Spurs - in and around first team)

It just goes to show, bar a few elite players (Rashford, Trent, Sancho). Does the acadamy system work for many teams?
Seems alot of this list have had to leave there elite club to find first team football (minus TAA, Rashford, Nelson & Hudson Odoi)

Maybe its just the selections of the journo's - other players picked ahead of likes of Reece James, Mason Mount, Phil Foden, Tammy Abraham- even your Declan Rice's tomori's and Tom Davies'

First you need to define what is classed as working for an academy. Is it to produce players for the first team? Is it to generate funds?