Homepage Article Are we really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A defeat and we’ll question everything from the players, the manager, the board and even turn on each other as fans. As above, if it’s a succession of defeats or a defeat against a team we perceive as “beneath us” (which is essentially any non top-six team), those opinions become more ingrained, more widespread and more militant.
oh god this is so bang on.

As I keep saying, we had 5 players Brands brought in on the bench last game.

Yet people have spent the last week calling Brands all sorts for leaving Silva short.

We will see how good or bad this squad is when we get a manager that uses it, instead of 1 that plays the same failing players every week.
Yeah but you keep saying it as if it's proof that he didn't leave him short when it really suggests the exact opposite; that Silva's asked for better players and he's been given 5 lads who he doesn't think are as good as what he already had. I'm not saying he's right, I have no idea how good some of them are because I've not seen enough of them, but it's perfectly possible that Kean really isn't ready to lead the line on his own in the PL yet and Sidibe is no better than Coleman surely?

I've said since the summer, I don't think the squad is that great. It definitely shouldn't be 18th, but I agree with the OP's points that some people have a wildly inflated view of where we are at the moment, and it's not clear why. I keep seeing people in player threads saying 'Keane's dreadful, Coleman's past it, Schneiderlin's an absolute disgrace and should never be allowed into Finch Farm again, Sigurdsson's the biggest waste of money in PL history and DCL's a League One striker' and then going into the manager thread and saying 'pure disgrace that we're not in the top 4 after these fixtures lad'. It makes no sense.

Silva's management has been awful this season in my opinion. I make no excuses for him at all because I'm sick of seeing the same thing week in week out, but by the same token, I would say 8th would be a perfectly acceptable return for a manager with these players. They're just not that good.

We are a 10-6 team, so we are obviously underperforming. Whether sacking the manager is the answer is another question. His track record was never worthy of the job, but we were daft enough to relentlessly pursue him.

Yeah but you keep saying it as if it's proof that he didn't leave him short when it really suggests the exact opposite; that Silva's asked for better players and he's been given 5 lads who he doesn't think are as good as what he already had. I'm not saying he's right, I have no idea how good some of them are because I've not seen enough of them, but it's perfectly possible that Kean really isn't ready to lead the line on his own in the PL yet and Sidibe is no better than Coleman surely?

I've said since the summer, I don't think the squad is that great. It definitely shouldn't be 18th, but I agree with the OP's points that some people have a wildly inflated view of where we are at the moment, and it's not clear why. I keep seeing people in player threads saying 'Keane's dreadful, Coleman's past it, Schneiderlin's an absolute disgrace and should never be allowed into Finch Farm again, Sigurdsson's the biggest waste of money in PL history and DCL's a League One striker' and then going into the manager thread and saying 'pure disgrace that we're not in the top 4 after these fixtures lad'. It makes no sense.

Silva's management has been awful this season in my opinion. I make no excuses for him at all because I'm sick of seeing the same thing week in week out, but by the same token, I would say 8th would be a perfectly acceptable return for a manager with these players. They're just not that good.

And I agree.

I dont think its good enough for top 6, ive never demanded top 6 with this set of players.

I did think that maybe we could compete, like we did last season with beating some of the better sides, but I never thought we could crack the top 6.

But 1 thing we all agree on is that its defo not a bottom 3 squad.

Yeah can't put ALL the blame on silva but he's responsible for quite alot at present. Ah its cool mate, I knew for every few that agree with it I knew I'd get flack from others! As long as it sparks debate
I can’t help it with some of the WUMS around. GOT is turning into a dark place when delinquents like that veneral disease are allowed to stick around. Keep up the good work mate

As I keep saying, we had 5 players Brands brought in on the bench last game.

Yet people have spent the last week calling Brands all sorts for leaving Silva short.

We will see how good or bad this squad is when we get a manager that uses it, instead of 1 that plays the same failing players every week.
Why are the brands players on the bench?

Another self-deprecating thread.....

source.gif

The table doesn't lie.. Even with a better manager this squad is a shambles. No leaders or winners..
Fully agree, even when the top 6 have poor seasons we are miles off.
There are so many blue tinted specs out there, people seem to think we have a great team, there are better players at some of the lesser teams that we ridicule just because they aren’t at Everton.
Our CB, midfield and CF are average.
If you looked honestly, You could probably pick one player at every club in the league that would make our starting line up yet people seem to think we have the 7th best squad in the league.
Digne is the only player that could possibly get near a top 6 team. I couldn’t honestly name another.

Status
Not open for further replies.