Homepage Article The future of Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has players that should be beating shef united at home. Has shown he wont adapt the team i want him gone i have lost all faith in him

In America having an " intervention " seems to be the popular thing to do for somebody who is struggling in work or in life.

It seems that it starts by confronting the person with reality and if you can get them to accept that then you can move forward from there.

Something like that is needed with our manager at the moment. If he believes that picking the same team weak after weak and playing the same formation week after week and expects that somehow results are going to change significantly then definitely somebody needs to interevene… if only we had a DOF at the club.

This is probably one of my bigger gripes with the club. They let things drift. Even though we have sacked a lot of managers recently, in each case there's probably a feeling they all went on 3-4-5 games too many. If Silva is sacked after losing the next 2 what is the point?

I know they look nuts, but at least Watford act. They move quickly. It may not be in a direction I'd like, but they know how they operate it and they are clinical.

A conversation really needs to be had at board level now as to what they are going to do. This conversation in truth probably should have started after the Sheffield United result. Are we going to back the manager, or are we going to start sounding out alternatives. In the 2-3 weeks that has followed you ought to have some idea of the calibre of manager you can attract and know whether it's a decision you wish to make. If the view if Arteta wouldn't come, and we'd be looking at David Moyes (I'm giving a worst case scenario) then you can understand them keeping Silva.

If they started after Sheffield United though, and they are not in a position during this international week to act then they are not doing the job well enough. Or they haven't been proactive enough after Sheffield United.

If they want to keep the manager, then he really needs more support. Brands should doing an interview with the media stating the window left us 1 or 2 players short and a mixture of injuries and some bad fortune give the table a brutal feel. He needs to state Silva is playing one of the youngest squads in the league and we are confident results will come. This should also be reiterated by DBB and Kenwright. We have known for some time Kenwright and DBB are cowards and hide but it's a shame Brands is not doing more.

And privately yes, do an intervention. Let him know it will spiral very quickly and there's only so much that can be done. That the supporters are riled by certain players always being picked, that a small thing like putting Gordon in for some minutes ahead of Walcott will help him. Some honest suggestions.

Either way though you have to start from the position of is he our man or not. If he's not, get rid. If you are unsure you could get better in leak that to the press (something akin to, it's not so easy as to chop and change managers). If you still have faith get out and defend him. However the dragging out process of the final few weeks has been poorly handled for some time now.

He either has the clubs confidence or he doesn't, really.

My guess is that the relationship between Silva and Brands isn't at all like the relationship between boss and employee you would find in a traditional working environment. Silva is on a millionaires salary, I assume Brands is the same, and at that level, a manager is assumed to be competent enough to perform the role until the second the axe is wielded. The king is dead, long live the (erm... caretaker) king.

I'm sure there are targets and general reviews, but the minute Brands feels he has to sit down with Silva to discuss zonal marking and playing two holding midfielders is the time when Brands goes to the board and says we need to bin this guy.

As I've just put above, after Sheffield United the board (and primarily Brands) should have been informally sounding people out. If they haven't started already that really has to be starting now. That doesn't mean you automatically sack Silva, but you get an idea of whether a manager would be interested, and in time whether the club will play ball.

You then have an easy decision to make. You either believe you can get better in, or you feel Marco deserves more time. (It could be both, for example it could be Arteta is interested and would come, but we feel we want to give Silva until Christmas).

Here's the rub though, you need to be acting decisively on whatever you decide. So if he is going to stay, start getting some stories out into the press about some of the things he's doing well and the benefits of being patient with a young manager. How we can only judge his team when he gets Gamin and Gomes fit etc etc. If he's not our man make the change now. Because of you wait 2 more games (and defeats for example) suddenly an Arteta may have a change of heart.

Any new manager will likely view the next 2 games as 4 points, potentially even 6 points. You take those games away, the fixtures turn a bit it starts to spiral.

What really frustrates me is this radio silence we get and the inane drift towards the end with managers. At board level it seems there is an enormous amount of cowardice. People who are either too scared to face down the fans and give them some unpopular news on a manager, or too scared towards sacking a manager.

Would help himself if he dropped zonal marking and went man to man. Yes we got it right last season after 20 odd games and was very effective, but over the summer break we have lost it again. Also Sigurdsson is a top player but he doesn’t suit the way we want to play, so he need to put iwobi in that position and play Bernard on the left. We would automatically look a lot better. Then go 433 please I was so excited when we got him for the formation plays, he even said in first interview that is his formation, we haven’t seen it yet. I’m not saying that will make us sky rocket up the league but will improve us.

As I've just put above, after Sheffield United the board (and primarily Brands) should have been informally sounding people out. If they haven't started already that really has to be starting now. That doesn't mean you automatically sack Silva, but you get an idea of whether a manager would be interested, and in time whether the club will play ball.

You then have an easy decision to make. You either believe you can get better in, or you feel Marco deserves more time. (It could be both, for example it could be Arteta is interested and would come, but we feel we want to give Silva until Christmas).

Here's the rub though, you need to be acting decisively on whatever you decide. So if he is going to stay, start getting some stories out into the press about some of the things he's doing well and the benefits of being patient with a young manager. How we can only judge his team when he gets Gamin and Gomes fit etc etc. If he's not our man make the change now. Because of you wait 2 more games (and defeats for example) suddenly an Arteta may have a change of heart.

Any new manager will likely view the next 2 games as 4 points, potentially even 6 points. You take those games away, the fixtures turn a bit it starts to spiral.

What really frustrates me is this radio silence we get and the inane drift towards the end with managers. At board level it seems there is an enormous amount of cowardice. People who are either too scared to face down the fans and give them some unpopular news on a manager, or too scared towards sacking a manager.

They should be haunted by the six-week spectacle of what happened after firing Koeman and having no plan in place for succession, other than expecting Watford to capitulate to suit us.

We were a running joke nationally and in the media for weeks.

If they have decided to get rid now (which I highly doubt) then it is best to say and do nothing until they have a replacement more or less secured. Then they have two whole weeks to make phone calls and put arrangements in place. Brands should be busy with this now even if he is inclined to persist with Silva.

Watford do it brutally - two quick-fire tweets - goodbye and thanks and hello and welcome. It's a little unsavoury in some respect but you can't deny it provides certainty and clarity.

Difficult for me to lay all the blame on him, or even the majority of it. Yes he has not adapted at all, but I just don't know what the club were thinking when we lose our best player (Gana) and our best CB (Zouma) from last year with no replacements. Also, 3 years on and we still have not come close to replacing Lukaku's goals up front.

Sure we can make Marco the scapegoat (as long as there is a ready and reasonable replacement) but Brands and ownership must answer for the poor transfer business.

He either has the clubs confidence or he doesn't, really.

My guess is that the relationship between Silva and Brands isn't at all like the relationship between boss and employee you would find in a traditional working environment. Silva is on a millionaires salary, I assume Brands is the same, and at that level, a manager is assumed to be competent enough to perform the role until the second the axe is wielded. The king is dead, long live the (erm... caretaker) king.

I'm sure there are targets and general reviews, but the minute Brands feels he has to sit down with Silva to discuss zonal marking and playing two holding midfielders is the time when Brands goes to the board and says we need to bin this guy.
My opinion- Think their both in the same bed together. Between them have settled on both praising each other when they are confronted in the boardroom. My problem thought is- If they both don,t go at the same time, will a new manager of substance be able to work with Brands with what he has done, and his methods since being here. which again in my opinion, is not a lot. Thoughts ?

Why do some of our fans want what’s bad for us? Some wanting City to beat us, wanting a club that could be a rival for relegation to win? I don’t get it. I can understand fans wanting Marco out but we've just lost ANOTHER game, another club winning isn’t going to increase the pressure more. I maybe being dramatic over mentioning relegation, 2 weeks ago I’d have said ‘no way’ but every passing week I honestly think it’s a possibility. Can’t score, can’t defend, weak midfield. I don’t want any of the clubs below us winning.
Its the four clubs above us that I don,t want to see start winning, As up to Sheff Utd we will have to mix it because on paper at moment we are in the same boat and same par as these four.

Last edited:

However you dress it up with unlucky injuries or squad imbalance, this club should not be losing meekly to Villa, Bournemouth, Sheff United at home!, and Burnley. That is a sackable offence in anyones book.

The 2 victories have been unconvincing.

I wonder how much damage the loss of his assistant manager was. Since Boa Morte has come in we have played one dimensionally and predictably too.

Change is needed. Change in necessary.

I expect Brands has had a quite word with a few managers agents. I would expect someone who isn't currently in the bookmakers favourites.

Links to Van Bommel are in someways to be expected given the PSV connection.

Whatever happens next simply has to be a positive move. The club really is on a knife edge with talks of a fabulous new stadium and challenging at the top, whilst in reality the club continues to flirt near the bottom and play atrocious, pilling on more misery to it's success starved fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.