2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brands defo is.

But currently we have lots of players taking up wages and space and no I dont mean Bernie!!!

I can imagine that Brands long term plan includes lots of younger players, but for now its a little hard.
I agree the current clear out is going well but is by no means finished. Without veering to far off course the fact that Brands was hired after Silva and therefore stuck with him is strange and hopefully can be rectified this summer even if Silva recovers to a respectable league position. And at that point maybe we see the overall club philosophy start to swing.

I agree the current clear out is going well but is by no means finished. Without veering to far off course the fact that Brands was hired after Silva and therefore stuck with him is strange and hopefully can be rectified this summer even if Silva recovers to a respectable league position. And at that point maybe we see the overall club philosophy start to swing.
Brands was actually hired before Silva.

Brands was actually hired before Silva.
You're right. I had it backwards. However I don't think it changes the point since Brands was hired two weeks before Silva and probably couldn't have got settled and hired a manager in that time. My guess is Moshiri and the rest had Marco in mind and made the hire. I could be wrong obviously but my guess is Brands was very minimally involved.

You're right. I had it backwards. However I don't think it changes the point since Brands was hired two weeks before Silva and probably couldn't have got settled and hired a manager in that time. My guess is Moshiri and the rest had Marco in mind and made the hire. I could be wrong obviously but my guess is Brands was very minimally involved.
Oh, that is undoubtedly correct, just wanted to clarify. Moshiri had a singular focus for Silva which was beyond any idea why.

"oh, the Everton attention made Watford go in to a tailspin". That should have been an immediate disqualifier then. If you can't do your job with a distraction you shouldn't even be considered for the new one.

Considering we tried to poach Silva before Allardyce it obviously wasn’t a Brands appointment.

Silva reckons he's ready for the first team.

Comes on, picks up injury 7 minutes in, we never hear of him again.

It's Everton come on!

It's a long term thing though. I don't think Gordon is better I think he could be better. And since the chances of us winning a trophy this year are low I'd like for the club to at least have something resembling a plan to reach that level. Trying to build up young players would be a good part of that plan imo. Signing 27 year olds from lower level clubs and trying to get them to step up a level isn't a plan that looks like working.
I've always wondered why managers go with underperforming players rather than try youth. It might not work but if your senior player is garbage why not chance it. Howard and Robles with martinez springs to mind. Robles might not have been the answer but howard certainly wasnt. Why not go with someone with the potential rather than the one guaranteed to not be up to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.