2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Russian side Bily played in was ranked as high as Croatia.

Croatia arent a top side either.
Without entering into that debate he's getting games for a team that also has Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic as options at his position. I don't know how much that says, but it says something.

Looking back though would you say it's a good thing that we gave all the appearances to Sigurdsson and Rooney to the point that our best young player a at that position left and is now playing very well albeit in a league of questionable quality?

And so as that pertains to Gordon we need to take a longer term view than we have recently been able to. There's no reason to be giving all the appearances to Walcott and Bernard once Gordon is deemed ready.

Without entering into that debate he's getting games for a team that also has Modric, Rakitic and Kovacic as options at his position. I don't know how much that says, but it says something.

Looking back though would you say it's a good thing that we gave all the appearances to Sigurdsson and Rooney to the point that our best young player a at that position left and is now playing very well albeit in a league of questionable quality?

And so as that pertains to Gordon we need to take a longer term view than we have recently been able to. There's no reason to be giving all the appearances to Walcott and Bernard once Gordon is deemed ready.

Its the belief that Gordon is better than Walcott and Bernard I have an issue with.

Its just a stupid comment based on him playing yoot footy, I honestly reckon I could stand out at U23 level.

Lookman and Vlasic are honestly both utter tosh.

Anyway, lets see what happens with this boy, lets maybe see him on the pitch before we start claiming hes better than 2 players who have played in a world cup.

Its the belief that Gordon is better than Walcott and Bernard I have an issue with.

Its just a stupid comment based on him playing yoot footy, I honestly reckon I could stand out at U23 level.

Lookman and Vlasic are honestly both utter tosh.

Anyway, lets see what happens with this boy, lets maybe see him on the pitch before we start claiming hes better than 2 players who have played in a world cup.
It's a long term thing though. I don't think Gordon is better I think he could be better. And since the chances of us winning a trophy this year are low I'd like for the club to at least have something resembling a plan to reach that level. Trying to build up young players would be a good part of that plan imo. Signing 27 year olds from lower level clubs and trying to get them to step up a level isn't a plan that looks like working.

It's a long term thing though. I don't think Gordon is better I think he could be better. And since the chances of us winning a trophy this year are low I'd like for the club to at least have something resembling a plan to reach that level. Trying to build up young players would be a good part of that plan imo. Signing 27 year olds from lower level clubs and trying to get them to step up a level isn't a plan that looks like working.
The problem currently is that our managers job is in big, big danger.

He cant afford to gamble on a young lad.

Anyway my trust in yoots wained a long, long time ago, the percentage that come through is so low that I dont even bother hoping they will make it anymore.

But hopefully 1 day 1 will come.

That young lad at Bayern should inspire everybody that its not always over when its over, but hes a very rare case.

That fella you lot had, the next big thing they said, uttter garbo he was. Ive even forgotten his name, but thats cos my memory is ruined.

The problem currently is that our managers job is in big, big danger.

He cant afford to gamble on a young lad.

Anyway my trust in yoots wained a long, long time ago, the percentage that come through is so low that I dont even bother hoping they will make it anymore.

But hopefully 1 day 1 will come.

That young lad at Bayern should inspire everybody that its not always over when its over, but hes a very rare case.

That fella you lot had, the next big thing they said, uttter garbo he was. Ive even forgotten his name, but thats cos my memory is ruined.
Do you mean Adu? Haha yeah maybe first team football at 14 is a bad idea.

The thing with the manager is the biggest obstacle. If Brands made it the clubs philosophy and was given the opportunity to hire a manager who would adhere to it we might make progress. As is I cant see Silva changing while under pressure like this and I don't expect him to.

You've gone very Alan Hansen there though. Maybe Gordon is the one. I don't really remember a young player being hyped like him and showing it basically every time out. It's promising.

Do you mean Adu? Haha yeah maybe first team football at 14 is a bad idea.

The thing with the manager is the biggest obstacle. If Brands made it the clubs philosophy and was given the opportunity to hire a manager who would adhere to it we might make progress. As is I cant see Silva changing while under pressure like this and I don't expect him to.

You've gone very Alan Hansen there though. Maybe Gordon is the one. I don't really remember a young player being hyped like him and showing it basically every time out. It's promising.

Oh im defo full Hansen with regards yoots.

But not all of them, Rico is still very young and whilst hes a bit up and down hes certainly got the required quality, so its not a blanket "hate", I just feel as tho we build up young players without them actually deserving it sometimes.

Gordons record is very good, but I also have a firm distrust in the standard of underage football in general.

Yes, Freddy Adu, his name escaped me!

Oh im defo full Hansen with regards yoots.

But not all of them, Rico is still very young and whilst hes a bit up and down hes certainly got the required quality, so its not a blanket "hate", I just feel as tho we build up young players without them actually deserving it sometimes.

Gordons record is very good, but I also have a firm distrust in the standard of underage football in general.

Yes, Freddie Adu, his name escaped me!
Yeah youth team is more or less meaningless so until he's gone on loan and done it or taken a chance here it's all hypothetical. But that kind of goes back to my thing with giving young players a start or two late in the season when not much is on. If our attacking play doesn't pick up at some point it becomes easier to roll the dice as well.

Yeah youth team is more or less meaningless so until he's gone on loan and done it or taken a chance here it's all hypothetical. But that kind of goes back to my thing with giving young players a start or two late in the season when not much is on. If our attacking play doesn't pick up at some point it becomes easier to roll the dice as well.

Its a fine line tho.

Say we give him a chance atm, when we are struggling, hes gonna have a bad game, cos everybody plays badly. Its much easier to throw the lad on when things are going well, less pressure to perform.

So its a juggling act.

Its a fine line tho.

Say we give him a chance atm, when we are struggling, hes gonna have a bad game, cos everybody plays badly. Its much easier to throw the lad on when things are going well, less pressure to perform.

So its a juggling act.
Yeah I understand that. But lately the answer has been just roll with the questionably performing older players forever and ever and I just really can't see us getting out of this mid table funk that way. I'm realistic in that I don't think Gordon is going to be Eden Hazard. But I don't think finding someone like that is impossible. I mean Spurs have had Bale and Kane this decade.

Yeah I understand that. But lately the answer has been just roll with the questionably performing older players forever and ever and I just really can't see us getting out of this mid table funk that way. I'm realistic in that I don't think Gordon is going to be Eden Hazard. But I don't think finding someone like that is impossible. I mean Spurs have had Bale and Kane this decade.

And we had Rooney and Barkley.

And we had Rooney and Barkley.
Rooney one was a bit different in that at that point we were not trying to compete at the top. We just weren't there and that's why he left as much as anything I think.

Barkley is not the same level is he? Bale and Kane are 100m players. What is Barkley? 35m? Maybe less honestly. He had the potential but he never clicked and we did give him chances.

My idea though is that once we sold Ross we should have had another player to roll in and try to develop instead of replacing him with Rooney and Gylfi and basically stalling out for 3 years. It's a strategy that requires a lot of blind faith to a process so I get why the people in charge aren't going to be hugely enthusiastic about it.

Rooney one was a bit different in that at that point we were not trying to compete at the top. We just weren't there and that's why he left as much as anything I think.

Barkley is not the same level is he? Bale and Kane are 100m players. What is Barkley? 35m? Maybe less honestly. He had the potential but he never clicked and we did give him chances.

My idea though is that once we sold Ross we should have had another player to roll in and try to develop instead of replacing him with Rooney and Gylfi and basically stalling out for 3 years. It's a strategy that requires a lot of blind faith to a process so I get why the people in charge aren't going to be hugely enthusiastic about it.

Brands defo is.

But currently we have lots of players taking up wages and space and no I dont mean Bernie!!!

I can imagine that Brands long term plan includes lots of younger players, but for now its a little hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.