Homepage Article I still believe in Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF it doesn't matter who we get in, whether they're the best thing since 'BJ and Steak Day' was invented, we just don't have the commercial partners and cashflow to even challenge with the 6 clubs who have been at the top. Until we can get the right non-playing staff pulling off worldie sponsorship deals, we're never going to get anywhere and will just be perenial water-waders. Those 6 clubs, even despite poor seasons they are still able to fork out huge sums of money for wages and transfer fees for the best players. We just can't do that unfortunately.

So sacking a manager every 18 months will do us no favours, we might as well see how the season pans out and hope we can at least turn it around and put silverware on the table. Here's to hoping

I agree with most of that apart from the last part of the last paragraph. If Everton want to be a big hitter and do have some money behind them then why not go for Mourinho or his caliber of coach?

We should be going for the best coach available? If that’s Mourinho then let’s approach him.

However approaching him and him saying yes are 2 very, very different things. Unless we are going to throw him an unbelievable contract (15M per season over 5 years) I don’t see why he joins. We need to get real. Any top manager of Mourinho’s level wouldn’t give our approach a 2nd thought before dismissing it.

Why would he risk his reputation going to a club that is slightly dysfunctional and has a huge task on its hands to come 6th never mind winning anything.

It’s akin to Schalke or Seville thinking they could get Mourinho. It just wouldn’t happen

That's some good positive thinking.

Realistically I can’t see us finishing bottom half. Never mind relegation scrap.

Top 6 plus Leicester, West Ham, Us and probably Wolves/Bournemouth will be the Top 10 in some sort of order.

If I had to guess we’ll end up with somewhere between 50-60 points and a GD of 0 to +10.

That’s not that positive but I still think Silva to the end of the season is the best thing before we evaluate our next steps

I've never been 100% convinced about Silva. Nothing he has done so far has meant I'm a 100% convinced he's the manager for us. That feeling has been amplified with our start to the season.

However, there's a big difference between that and getting to the point where I want him sacked.

Recently, as a club, we've lurched from one poor managerial decision to another. Whether that be sacking managers too early, appointing the wrong manager or just not having continuity in how the successive manager's footballing philosophies line up.

The club have invested in the Brands/Silva partnership. Whilst it's not going well, I don't think pushing the panic button and sacking the manager is the correct thing to do. Unless we are heading for a relegation scrap (which we aren't) then sacking the manager probably doesn't gain us much.

Any new manager appointment shouldn't be on a whim or done in the pressure situation of trying to fill the position mid-season. Let's get to the end of the season and see how things stand. It's very unlikely that any manager we want would consider moving from clubs mid-season. Also can anyone suggesting Mourinho have a word with themselves. Absolutely 0% chance he'd join Everton. In what world does Jose Mourinho view Everton as an attractive proposition? I'm all for ambition but anyone suggesting this as a feasible option looks like a complete barmpot
Unless we are heading for a relegation scrap (which we aren't)

On current form we are very much heading into a relegation scrap. Up until Spurs in November and taking out the Man City game you probably couldn't have hand picked a better set of fixtures. Wolves at home and catching them after a europa game was ideal.

I am definitely not saying get rid of him, especially until we have someone else lined up but lets not kid ourselves and think we are too good to go down because carry on like this until Christmas and we could easily be in the relegation places......

TBF it doesn't matter who we get in, whether they're the best thing since 'BJ and Steak Day' was invented, we just don't have the commercial partners and cashflow to even challenge with the 6 clubs who have been at the top. Until we can get the right non-playing staff pulling off worldie sponsorship deals, we're never going to get anywhere and will just be perenial water-waders. Those 6 clubs, even despite poor seasons they are still able to fork out huge sums of money for wages and transfer fees for the best players. We just can't do that unfortunately.

So sacking a manager every 18 months will do us no favours, we might as well see how the season pans out and hope we can at least turn it around and put silverware on the table. Here's to hoping
How do you explain Leicester being much better than us having spent less then?

How do you explain Leicester being much better than us having spent less then?
The question is can they consistently maintain it season on season, be able to replace their top players, and still finish up there when having an off season. No doubt they're having a good season so far, you could compare them to when we finished 4th and spent naff all. How did they fare the season after when they won the league and seasons since?
Undoubtly there will be teams who may break into the top 6 or top 4, but I doubt that they'll stay there consistenty season on season, unless they have the commercial backing akin to the Man City model.

What is there to believe in?
Silva has shown nothing in his time in English football to suggest that he will be a success at Goodison and his managerial performances in Portugal and Greece represent flimsy evidence to invest belief in either.
I would suggest that the reason that he got the job and remains in post is that ( for some reason ) Moshiri likes the image that he portrays and there are no other credible , realistic alternatives.

Not really. Only a fool would still back a manager with Silva’s record.

I disagree. Everton is very much in a team building phase and a leader would look at the travel of direction where the club is heading rather than looking at short term results. What we seeing here is a bunch of knee jerkers overreacting and not having any holistic thinking..

Status
Not open for further replies.