Homepage Article I still believe in Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't that supposed to be what Silva is for us though? Or rather, Brands?

The trouble is that as far as managers are concerned, supporters are no longer patient enough to see it through.
Brands yes, but it's difficult to see the progress he's making (admittedly early) but it seems he doesn't have that same level of flexibility that he did in his previous role. Silva encapsulates the 'safe set of hands' for me. Wouldn't surprise me if he left us during the season if he then ended up at Newcastle or which ever 3 teams are in the bottom come Jan.

I think it's up to clubs to manage expectations. One of the worst things this club did was mention Martinez's 'I'll get you in the CL' comment - it set such ridiculously high expectations that as a fan base we've never got away from.

Brands yes, but it's difficult to see the progress he's making (admittedly early) but it seems he doesn't have that same level of flexibility that he did in his previous role. Silva encapsulates the 'safe set of hands' for me. Wouldn't surprise me if he left us during the season if he then ended up at Newcastle or which ever 3 teams are in the bottom come Jan.

I think it's up to clubs to manage expectations. One of the worst things this club did was mention Martinez's 'I'll get you in the CL' comment - it set such ridiculously high expectations that as a fan base we've never got away from.

Thought they saw Silva as being more 'young and up and coming', which is why they went through all that with Watford to get him.

But you're right, if he doesn't turn it around again, Newcastle is probably about what he can expect if he stays in England.

My thoughts precisely. It's frustrating that he hasn't put it all together yet. Performances against Villa, Bournemouth and Sheffield United unacceptable, but I'm still a fan.

I look forward to various posters calling me a fool or an idiot.
I agree with a lot been said He has to turn this ridiculous record around of winning or drawing games from losing positions and we’ve got to be harder to beat away. I know we were beat against Sheff Utd but our home form has been pretty good in his time here.

Errr, I think it was Moshiri who said from the start he was a 'gamble' and its a fair assessment of what Silva is.
In more ways than one.
In the middle of a match when things aren't working out, this is a manger who repeatedly abandons everything he is apparently working on
and throws on every attacking player at his disposal. Ie, he abandons his own system, his own beliefs.
I can remember all the talk about 'transition' in the first season, he just needs time, we just need patience.
The signs were there after 6 matches into his tenure (@BlueToff ) There's no longer any doubts.

I hope to see Silva go at the end of the season (not before) and hope he goes onto to be successful elsewhere. He's a good man.
But he's not what Everton need.
This isn't the 'ridiculously high expectations' of a fan.
It should always be about getting back to winning trophies, getting in the top 4 and the unfinished business of playing in Europe.
I'd go as far to say that anyone who doesn't think that isn't truly a Blue.
And as for a 'safe set of hands', and I take it you mean avoiding relegation, well we got in BFS for that.

It was probably right to gamble on Silva.
Its now time for the search to continue.

I wonder what the terms of his contract are.. ie how much would it cost to dismiss him ?

As he was out of work and the Everton job was probably much bigger than anything else he was offered there is a good chance that the cost of dismissing him would not be that onerous... for a change.

It was a gamble to give him the job and sometimes it looked like a good decision but a lot of the time it has looked like not very good business... it looks that way at the moment.

The problem for the manager is that with each passing month the amount of leeway for poor results and poor performances diminishes.
Last season we went through a horrendous set of results before and after Christmas until the very decent recovery later in the season but now twelve months later I am not a repetition of last years results will not be enough. Twelve months ago he was still settling into the club and he had a number of players he did not want were still around.

In December we've got Leicester away, Liverpool at Analfield, Chelsea at Home United Away Arsenal at home, Playing like we are now we'll lose all of them quite easily.
So he really needs to start kicking this team into gear before it gets scary.

Inappropriate Language
He's had 14 months to turn around a whole squad that's basically been [Poor language removed] for 3 years and had given some of the worst performances I've ever seen. Plus he inherited a squad that by 1 of the players admission were scared of playing at home. Until the last 2 it had become fortress Goodison. 4 games ago we had the 2nd best defensive record of 2019. Also we won more away games last season than previous. Yet people say hes made no progress and want him gone after a dodgy spell.

He's had 14 months to turn around a whole squad that's basically been [Poor language removed] for 3 years and had given some of the worst performances I've ever seen. Plus he inherited a squad that by 1 of the players admission were scared of playing at home. Until the last 2 it had become fortress Goodison. 4 games ago we had the 2nd best defensive record of 2019. Also we won more away games last season than previous. Yet people say hes made no progress and want him gone after a dodgy spell.
We’re 15th.

If you've seen some of the worst Everton performances ever over the past 14 months you're either very young or you haven't been a fan for very long, bad yes, worst ever no.

Some of the worst performances I've seen have been under Silva.

I still think we're fine. Few disappointing results but we dominate possession and have chances to score (despite no descent CF). We limit opposition opportunities but have been unlucky with individual errors and opposition's only chances going in. Midfield a bit stale but we are missing what I imagine would have been our first centre mid pairing of gomes gbamin.
That's is utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.