Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 2 set piece chances for Sheffield Wednesday, Davies just let's his man get a run on him and Calvert Lewin is static and then the 2nd one Delph is clearly watching the fella but he gets a 5 yard run on Delph who is so slow to react and thats the problem, the players are so static that once someone gets run on them it's nigh on impossible to defend if the ball is half decent

The only difference between the set piece defending last night and Sheff Utd/Bournemouth is that we were let off by some piss poor finishing.

It simply has to be sorted out Again and I don't think minutes on the training pitch is doing it because you can't stop people totally switching off like they keep doing.

So he either bins off the complete Sunday league set up we currently have or he completely drops players who seem either unable or unwilling to do their defensive job properly

That was the main thing I took from the highlights too. Alarming lack of concentration at the back. Delph in particular - expect better from someone with his experience.

Went to Hillsborough last night top turn out as always thumbs down to their concourse which was only serving Johns and wine by half time :rant:

As for the match we stunned them with a fast start played the ball around with purpose generally. However, very concerning the shape of the side was still a very rigid 4 2 3 1 I thought with Iwobi at 10 we would see more positional interchanges but it just doesn’t seem to happen. Credit to Calvert-Lewin whether long term he’s got the quality I’m not sure but he’s the only man that looks comfortable down the middle right now shame Kean wasn’t given 15 minutes. Sidibe looks like he’ll be the first choice RB he’s got the mobility Coleman’s sadly lost.

Totally agree with the concern on defending set pieces they had three sitters from corners we got very lucky.

Davies struggled.

Those 2 set piece chances for Sheffield Wednesday, Davies just let's his man get a run on him and Calvert Lewin is static and then the 2nd one Delph is clearly watching the fella but he gets a 5 yard run on Delph who is so slow to react and thats the problem, the players are so static that once someone gets run on them it's nigh on impossible to defend if the ball is half decent

The only difference between the set piece defending last night and Sheff Utd/Bournemouth is that we were let off by some piss poor finishing.

It simply has to be sorted out Again and I don't think minutes on the training pitch is doing it because you can't stop people totally switching off like they keep doing.

So he either bins off the complete Sunday league set up we currently have or he completely drops players who seem either unable or unwilling to do their defensive job properly
Excellent points. Watched highlights this morning and better finishing and we would have gone out, simple as that. Basic stuff as creeped in again to our defending which every team in the PL will use against use each week.

Excellent points. Watched highlights this morning and better finishing and we would have gone out, simple as that. Basic stuff as creeped in again to our defending which every team in the PL will use against use each week.

You also have to count our missed chances if you go along that route. Yes our defence is all over the place onset pieces but we still had enough chances to win very comfortably.

You also have to count our missed chances if you go along that route. Yes our defence is all over the place onset pieces but we still had enough chances to win very comfortably.

We aren’t making chances against better sides but the set pieces troubles are there to see in every game, but gets no better

Went last night.
We're through and thats the main thing for sure.
But.....don't be fooled. A great start obviously. Yes, could have scored again in 1st half. So could they have too.
Awful 2nd half. Dead. Side ways and backwards passing. Centre mids first thought is to turn backwards and pass to CB or FB. Occasionally we'd break the lines. But I literally mean occasionally. This was an under strength championship side we were playing. And, after two abject performances from us.
I'm afraid its not going to be good enough against Burnley, West Ham and Brighton etc etc.
Notice I left City out of that run of games!
They might surprise me on Saturday......but I'm not holding my breath.

Concerned.

Sat with the Wednesday fans and they were pi55ed at the team they put out so must have been second string, that lad Niuhu upfront is one of the worst players ive ever seen.
We were ok in the first half but lacked creativity. Sidibe got forward into a massive space a lot on the right but the midfielders just totally ignored him and played it into the middle. He looks promising though.
Was a shame we didnt see Kean, think he would have brought some pace to the frontline.
We were lucky in a way, if they had got a goal i think we would have crumbled, let another in, and probs gone out on penalities.
Hopefully swerve the prem teams in the draw.

Pleased for Dominic with his brace, and also makes the decision to drop him for the other Sheffield match after scoring in Bournemouth match an even more bizzare decision.

Shout for Pickford could have been different had he not made that very early save and a nod for captain Digne... It suits him.

Although against a more clinical opposition, yikes, getting corner and crosses in, we look...

Thing is while we were poor we won, but the 11 we put out, cant see that 11 ever starting in the league so it's hard to judge Everton on it

Fear is to allow them chances against a better side you are punished and you probably don't get the amount of chances we missed. Margins change on both sides not in our favour

We won that is the only thing to be thankful for. Two goals in first 10 mins what did we do for the the 80 sod all really. Hardly a note worthy performance against a lower division side and hardly points to a PL resurrection..

Status
Not open for further replies.