The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how quickly those performances at the end of last season are forgotten. I was also depressed by the overall performance at Bournemouth but it takes time. Losing Gana, not getting Zouma, and Gmbamin getting injured are massive blows as they have all contributed to the erratic performances so far this season. I'm not so sure now if our "easy" start to the season has helped because there was a general feeling that we'd be comfortably in the top 4 by now. The one positive thing is that it looks like there is only one team that seems to be uncatchable.
APATHY.

Crying about losing a couple of players to injury and actually saying `an easy start to the season may not have helped'.

What world do these young evertonians live in these days. Excuse, after excuse after pathetic, completely irrational excuse.

Have read through this thread, and while I go along with much of what is said about heart, comfort-zones, inferiority complexes etc, let me just throw this in. At Bournemouth, our defending was amateur. Crap. However we did have more than a few decent strikes on goal, none of which ended up in the net. We hit players on the line, posts, cross bars. We just can't seem to score. Had two of those early chances gone in, the complex of the game changes.

We just need someone who knows how to put the bloody ball in the onion bag. That lot have 3 or 4 who seem to be able to find the gaps between the goal frame and the defenders/keeper, regularly. We seem to not know where that gap is. It's bloody ridiculous!

People need to stop thinking a good team in the 80s gives us a divine right to be at the top of the league.

Hate to say it, lads, but other than a few years here and there we've been largely mediocre for our existence. We've had no sustained period of success like United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

Us floating in midtable for years is nothing new.

APATHY.

Crying about losing a couple of players to injury and actually saying `an easy start to the season may not have helped'.

What world do these young evertonians live in these days. Excuse, after excuse after pathetic, completely irrational excuse.
Aha. It’s the fans fault. Of course. How foolish.

People need to stop thinking a good team in the 80s gives us a divine right to be at the top of the league.

Hate to say it, lads, but other than a few years here and there we've been largely mediocre for our existence. We've had no sustained period of success like United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City.

Us floating in midtable for years is nothing new.
No mate.

After spending hundreds of millions we would just like to be a hard team to play against away from home and close the gap between 7/8th to 5/6th.

We continue to be a very easy touch away from home and have made NIL progress in narrowing that gap despite huge investment in recent years.

No mate.

After spending hundreds of millions we would just like to be a hard team to play against away from home and close the gap between 7/8th to 5/6th.

We continue to be a very easy touch away from home and have made NIL progress in narrowing that gap despite huge investment in recent years.

The teams who finished 5th and 6th last season spent 80M on a defender and 72M on a wide forward.

Out of interest how do you view West Ham? They spent about the same amount and have a manager at the helm for about the same tome as Silva.

Do you view them as a team that should have equal aspiratikns to us?

I suppose my point is that’s it a highly competitive league. Lots of money has been spent throughout the league. Saying we should be better because we’ve spent in transfers isn’t a valid argument IMHO.

The teams who finished 5th and 6th last season spent 80M on a defender and 72M on a wide forward.

Out of interest how do you view West Ham? They spent about the same amount and have a manager at the helm for about the same tome as Silva.

I suppose my point is that’s it a highly competitive league. Lots of money has been spent throughout the league. Saying we should be better because we’ve spent in transfers isn’t a valid argument IMHO.

Across the past 8 years we've spent more than Tottenham. We are miles worse than Tottenham.

Across the past 8 years we've spent more than Tottenham. We are miles worse than Tottenham.

There’s quite a few teams in the league who can say exactly the same thing.

They are probably the blueprint for what is required. But they are also the anomaly. It might be really difficult to replicate.

They did build over time though. They kept a similar attacking football philosophy from Jol to Redknapp to AVB to Poch. Sherwood was their big mistake.

The problem we have is that we’ve lurched from one type of manager to another with a completely different tactical philosophy, all the while spunking money up the wall in transfers and compensation packages.

Silva and Brands need more time. Silva might not be the answer for long term success. But he might be the buildingblock to get into a position of success. A built like Jol was at Spurs

I just want to reiterate, we haven't won a trophy since 1995. I don't understand why some (mostly older) supporters believe that we're owed success.

Staying competitive in the top flight whilst we build a new stadium is the priority. That's the reality of the situation.

I just want to reiterate, we haven't won a trophy since 1995. I don't understand why some (mostly older) supporters believe that we're owed success.

Staying competitive in the top flight whilst we build a new stadium is the priority. That's the reality of the situation.

No offence mate but how is finishing 8-11th and being knocked out the cups esrly doors every season 'staying competitive'?.

Surely thats the exact opposite and we are merely standing still?

Average team and manager.
If we were ambitious you do not let Guye leave and buy an injury prone player to play in his position
You get someone with pedigree as a manager and not Silva or Koeman

There’s quite a few teams in the league who can say exactly the same thing.

They are probably the blueprint for what is required. But they are also the anomaly. It might be really difficult to replicate.

They did build over time though. They kept a similar attacking football philosophy from Jol to Redknapp to AVB to Poch. Sherwood was their big mistake.

The problem we have is that we’ve lurched from one type of manager to another with a completely different tactical philosophy, all the while spunking money up the wall in transfers and compensation packages.

Silva and Brands need more time. Silva might not be the answer for long term success. But he might be the buildingblock to get into a position of success. A built like Jol was at Spurs

I think you've picked up on what we need in your post without realising it mate - yes Spurs appointed similiar styled managers but they also booted them out the door when it was clear they had major deficiencies that prevented them from truly pushing forward and eventually they got Pochettino.

Your suggestion to stick with Silva means we do the opposite of that and shackle ourselves to 'a level' ie. Silva's level.

Instead we should be appointing a new manager who has a similiar style of Silva- but someone who is more tactically strong/flexible to push us forward.

No offence mate but how is finishing 8-11th and being knocked out the cups esrly doors every season 'staying competitive'?.

Surely thats the exact opposite and we are merely standing still?

EFC....merely making up the numbers since 1996.

And that's the truth of it.

It is depressing watching those Sky reviews of a particular season

"The Premier League Years"

We never feature in any meaningful sense.

If I wasn't a Blue I would probably look on us the way I used to look at Coventry City.

About 35 years unbroken in the top flight, every league season anonymous.

I think you've picked up on what we need in your post without realising it mate - yes Spurs appointed similiar styled managers but they also booted them out the door when it was clear they had major deficiencies that prevented them from truly pushing forward and eventually they got Pochettino.

Your suggestion to stick with Silva means we do the opposite of that and shackle ourselves to 'a level' ie. Silva's level.

Instead we should be appointing a new manager who has a similiar style of Silva- but someone who is more tactically strong/flexible to push us forward.
Hmmmm..... so Poch was relatively ok at Soton - he moves to Spurs and they stand by him through thick and thin. Poch is succeeded at Soton by Koeman who is relatively successful. We hire Koeman - he lasts a season and a half.... hmmmmm.... we hire BFS for half a season then we hire Silva who some people now want to ditch for another mid table toiler. Meanwhile Poch does better at Spurs while just falling short of winning much.... hmmmm.....

I think we have about joint 6th wage bill with spurs, 7th at worst.

So 7th is bang average, challenging for 6th is slightly above average. We are generally finishing 8th, many points behind 6th.

We are underperforming end of.

Status
Not open for further replies.