Player Valuation: £50k
Back in the early 1990s, sartorial discipline
amongst certain Evertonians reached a level of stripped-down asceticism more
akin to a Benedictine order. No edict ever came from on high, but the maxim
that wearing colours was frowned upon permeated through elements of the fanbase
nevertheless. After a certain age, sometime in your early teens, it was made
known that coming to the match in anything more club-orientated than a WSAG
t-shirt would be considered an ostentatious infraction, one that would mark the
wearer down as exhibiting that most damning of characteristics, ‘Kopite-behaviour’.

Gradually,
over time, the maxim’s strength began to dissipate and as the 1990s rolled into
the 2000s and beyond, it became more commonplace to see your Da wearing an
overly-stretched home shirt in the Park End. Blue is very much the colour as you
cast your eye around Goodison today, the restrictions of the past a largely
forgotten footnote in Everton’s history, a bit like Rob Wakenshaw or...

Continue reading...

I have never owned an Everton scarf, nor bought an Everton top. But whilst I cringed a little when I saw all the flags stuck behind our seats, when the team came out to the sirens, the sea of blue and white and the bouts of flame, it looked utterly brilliant!

I don’t know how we each got some Grinch DNA in us, but we have, and any attempt to purge our systems, to squeeze those misery glands, must be supported in my view. Goodison was a truly horrible place to be in 3 of the last five seasons, that is not good enough, I don’t pay good money to sit in the ground being miserable, I want to be entertained. Not all of that entertainment I’ll be to my liking, just as not all music is to my liking. But to have a good party, you must mix it up! So enjoy the bits you enjoy, but don’t pour scorn on the bits you don’t enjoy, if we do that we may as well be koppites,

I personally can't believe their is scorn on a few lads trying to create a better atmosphere, I think its great what they are trying to achieve. Keep doing what you are doing it is having an effect, we sit in the top balcony (young children so better views for them). But the end of last season was great knowing that there would be an atmosphere inside the ground, it certainty improved by us. Keep doing what you are doing lads!

I always put the lack of shirts in the 90s down to our fans still really not being able to justify spending the cash on something they’d only wear every other week. I know as a kid you’d see people in blue and white, but few replicas. As the years wore on and there was a bit more prosperity (and a higher number of non local fans) the replica shirts picked up.

That's a well written and convincing argument. I hope it gets the reception it deserves.

I think one way of approaching this is for those who don't like the orchestrated stuff not to block or put down those who do, especially if they're a bit younger.

No-one should feel pressured to behave a particular way but likewise, no-one should be made to feel less of a supporter because someone else doesn't share their views on how to support the team.

That's a well written and convincing argument. I hope it gets the reception it deserves.

I think one way of approaching this is for those who don't like the orchestrated stuff not to block or put down those who do, especially if they're a bit younger.

No-one should feel pressured to behave a particular way but likewise, no-one should be made to feel less of a supporter because someone else doesn't share their views on how to support the team.
Spot on mate ;)

Spot on!

I think a lot of fans didn't buy into it because it wasn't "cool" or "forcing" an atmosphere or they were doing something they once formerly mocked that other teams did but something needed to change, All you have to do is check the record since the siren introduction, Little things like that can add up and give a boost the players so I'm all for it, Hats off to everyone involved with the changes.

When the RS play in big European games across the park, they employ this tactic where they boo and whistle the opposition whenever they gain possession of the ball, and it works, BIG TIME.

Seeing as we are without doubt the best boo-ers on planet earth, I'd love to see us employ this tactic one day, as I think it would affect the opposition in the same way it does for them lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.