Transfer Window Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaha would have been the icing on the cake. However, Bernard and Iwobi on the left, Richarlison and Walcott on the right, Kean and DCL up top, with Gomes, Gbamin, Iceland and Delph across the middle, is a well balanced squad. The only concern for me is not bringing in an experienced centre back.
Would that look like this...

--------------Kean--------DCL----------------
Iwobi---------------Iceland------------Richy
-----------Gomes------------Delph-----------
Bernard-----------Gbamin----------Walcott
----------------------------------------------------
---------------------Pickford--------------------

How are you these days Mr Keegan?

Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Mina
Digne
Gomes
Delph/Gbamin
Sigurdsson
Kean
Richarlison
Iwobi

That's the obvious starting XI now.

Which means we've been weakened in defence with the departure and non-replacement of Zouma; we are hoping Gueye wont be missed in midfield; and the attack has been upgraded.

That's not a successful transfer window.
Two very influential players have left (zouma and Gana) it’s how we cope without them, will determine if this window was successful.

Would that look like this...

--------------Kean--------DCL----------------
Iwobi---------------Iceland------------Richy
-----------Gomes------------Delph-----------
Bernard-----------Gbamin----------Walcott
----------------------------------------------------
---------------------Pickford--------------------

How are you these days Mr Keegan?
I was obviously referring to our midfield and attacking options, but I can handle a few 10-10 draws.

Pulling Iwobi out of the bag at the last moment probably more than compensates for Lookman leaving. Having Kean in attack is a big plus. Sidibe should offer better cover for Coleman than Kenny did. Delph should offer experience, versatility and give us extra options in midfield.

They're the positives

We've signed Gbamin to replace Gueye. It's impossible to know how this will work out and whether we will be better or worse off for it. Given Gueye was probably one of our most important players, it's probably understandable to be slightly nervous about this.

That's probably a neutral one

The major negative is the centre of defence. We are left with a central partnership of Mina and Keane, neither of whom have any real pace and this could be an issue in itself. On top of that Mina had lots of injury issues last year. Once you get past those two, you have Holgate who has never really convinced, Gibson (who by Silva's own admission isn't ready for this level yet) and possibly the untested Gbamin playing there in an emergency.

That centre of defence worries me a lot and it's the glaring weakness.

There are more positives than there are negatives, but I think we are all going to have to cut Silva some slack if we have defensive issues between now and January because he's been let down pretty badly on this front.

Inappropriate Language
Gbamin looks better going forward than Gana ever did. But he’s a [Poor language removed] passer like Gana.

Apart from Iwobi (fee is far to big) and no CB option it’s been a good window.

With Iwobi the price is steep but he can do a job and he fills a hole, more disappointed we couldn’t get a defender in but relieved we didn’t sign Rojo permanently as that would have been criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.