New Everton Stadium Discussion

Anyone got a clear answer to why we're going to the House of Commons?

Is it just to essentially make the gov aware of the benefits and opportunity? Rubber stamp?
Good stakeholder management. We will need ministerial support when the planning application gets called in because of the World Heritage status.Starting the conversations to get political support now is very sensible.

Good stakeholder management. We will need ministerial support when the planning application gets called in because of the World Heritage status.Starting the conversations to get political support now is very sensible.

Thought as much.

So it's not part of the official process, but it's a great idea to educate them. Amazing if they're outspoken on their support.

On a less serious note, be miffed if some toff in Westminster sees the plans before us.

Thought as much.

So it's not part of the official process, but it's a great idea to educate them. Amazing if they're outspoken on their support.

On a less serious note, be miffed if some toff in Westminster sees the plans before us.
Various plans will have been shared. There is no point publicising anything that can’t get political support. They can still make changes before going public with the plans.
Again, quite sensible.
They will need to lobby for public money for transport links etc, If the politicians are not on board the plans may collapse.
This is the right way to go about things.

Oiling the wheels. Its quite a common part of the process with major developments that might be off a Governments radar/not in London.

So if the whole lot gets dumped on a ministers desk, (unlikely, but you never know), they are more likely to realise the stadium build isnt an isolated development.

Not as unlikely as you may think.....

on the 26th, most people on here will be made to look a right [Poor language removed], including me

Every blue wants it to be the best it can be. Fingers crossed. Can’t be doing with the opinion police they are getting jarring on here and on twitter/Facebook, fan base is turning into a hive mind which is sad to see.

You watch when the designs are revealed the usual culprits with the shame tactics will be out, can’t just agree to disagree anymore.

Hoping it pleases as many blues as possible.

I expect the planning application to be called in by the Secretary of State. The club is lobbying MPs to see if they can influence the ultimate decision. Got to be a wise move.

I can't see why you feel that way. This is not a matter of national or regional significance in planning terms, it is one element within a designated Enterprise Zone where the expectation is that the land will be developed. There is some weight to be given to Unesco WHS status, but I just don't see it as the overriding consideration, especially on this part of the site.

I think under normal circumstances this would be hailed as a great development in an area that needs it. However just reading words used by the bbc this morning on their article, they are clearly leaning toward some doubt about its acceptability, Everton ’claim’ or whatever term they use to say there is some contention about it.
I’m sure if it was another club in the city it would be all whistles and bells about saving the area.
The bbc are so biased it’s incredible

I can't see why you feel that way. This is not a matter of national or regional significance in planning terms, it is one element within a designated Enterprise Zone where the expectation is that the land will be developed. There is some weight to be given to Unesco WHS status, but I just don't see it as the overriding consideration, especially on this part of the site.
I think it is likely to be called in. If UNESCO threatens World Heritage Status, it will almost certainly become a national matter.

I think it is likely to be called in. If UNESCO threatens World Heritage Status, it will almost certainly become a national matter.

WHS does not bestow any statutory protection over and above local and national designations, so it is not really a matter of national significance. It may be nice to have, but it is not the death knell some would have us believe. Other than turning the whole area into some kind of nautical museum piece any form of development is likely to be contentious, that doesn't mean it would be automatically worthy of a call-in.

Who knows, English Heritage may like the proposed design and the associated benefits in restoring a listed building and enhancing the waterfront setting. Let's not jump the gun.