2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you know there would be a defensive shortfall?

We dont know how Gomes would handle the 6, flanked by 2 box to box powerful players.
Because he has no positional discipline. Because he is slow. Because he rarely intercepts a pass. Because he gets dribbled by more than almost any other midfielder in the league. He's a poor defensive player.

He's not a 6. His best traits are his ability to dribble past players and transition from defense to offense. I think Barca wanted to make him the Busquets successor, but there was no way that was going to happen.

Because he has no positional discipline. Because he is slow. Because he rarely intercepts a pass. Because he gets dribbled by more than almost any other midfielder in the league. He's a poor defensive player.

He's not a 6. His best traits are his ability to dribble past players and transition from defense to offense. I think Barca wanted to make him the Busquets successor, but there was no way that was going to happen.

You are passing judgment based on 6months of injury hit football in a new league.

As I say we dont know, yet.

Its unlikely we will ever play him as a lone 6, but then we havent really done that with Gana yet.

I get people really rate Gana, you would be pretty silly not to, but Gomes is a quality player, despite what all stats suggest.

I also get the importance of stats in the modern game, most clubs have whole departments that track everything, so Silva will know what he can do, what he cant do, what he needs to improve on, its a process, but whilst I realise the positive they bring, football has never and will never be played on numbers alone. Sometimes quality transcends mere numbers.

You are passing judgment based on 6months of injury hit football in a new league.

Its unlikely we will ever play him as a lone 6, but then we havent really done that with Gana yet.

I get people really rate Gana, you would be pretty silly not to, but Gomes is a quality player, despite what all stats suggest.

I also get the importance of stats in the modern game, most clubs have whole departments that track everything, so Silva will know what he can do, what he cant do, what he needs to improve on, its a process, but whilst I realise the positive they bring, football has never and will never be played on numbers alone. Sometimes quality transcends mere numbers.

I happen to think Gomes may be best as a 6 or a 'deep playmaker' in the non-traditional sense.

He would need to slot into a 433 with box to box players either side...which wont happen because we shoe horn Sigurdsson into the team.

I happen to think Gomes may be best as a 6 or a 'deep playmaker' in the non-traditional sense.

He would need to slot into a 433 with box to box players either side...which wont happen because we shoe horn Sigurdsson into the team.
Yes, Tom Cleverly could play the role, Will Hughes could play the role, but Sigurdsson could not. Myth.

If Gomes' best role was as a 6, he would have played it already. Barca wanted him to be one and he couldn't do it. You have to have a very good positional sense about you - Gomes does not. But Sigurdsson is not the issue. Sigurdsson had no problem playing deeper for Iceland, he's even done it a bit more for us when Scheniderlin was brought back into the side.

Silva is fine with playing a more attacking of the two midfielders in front of the 6.

His exact words: "Depending the profile of my No. 6, I can play one and two or I can play two and one behind the striker depending on the profile of our No. 6. If we play Schneiderlin, he is a player who likes to play more alone which gives more freedom to the other two midfielders and this is the system I use more."

Whoa. No I am not judging him on his 6 months at Everton. When we were looking at players I suggested Gomes because I remembered how good he was at transition and how badly we needed a box to box in the side. I also expressed reservations because of his lack of defensive awareness and propensity to foul. I was concerned that the PL was faster than La Liga and I wasn't sure if he could handle the physicality of it.

His performance is actually very consistent with his performances prior to his arrival at Everton.

Yes, Tom Cleverly could play the role, Will Hughes could play the role, but Sigurdsson could not. Myth.

If Gomes' best role was as a 6, he would have played it already. Barca wanted him to be one and he couldn't do it. You have to have a very good positional sense about you - Gomes does not. But Sigurdsson is not the issue. Sigurdsson had no problem playing deeper for Iceland, he's even done it a bit more for us when Scheniderlin was brought back into the side.

Silva is fine with playing a more attacking of the two midfielders in front of the 6.

His exact words: "Depending the profile of my No. 6, I can play one and two or I can play two and one behind the striker depending on the profile of our No. 6. If we play Schneiderlin, he is a player who likes to play more alone which gives more freedom to the other two midfielders and this is the system I use more."

I think youre ignoring the players profile...

Gomes at 6 would need 2 box to box midfielders around him so that he has the defensive reinforcements...just the same as when Jorginho at Chelsea has Kante et al chasing back to help him out defensively.

Sigurdsson as one of those 2 box to box midfielders is never going to be athetic enough to cover Gomes...not a chance.

We would basically need players similar to Ndombele / Doucoure in the two box to box positions, I cant see it working with him as a 6 otherwise.

Also i dont see how you can compare his time with Barca to this suggestion of @MarcelsGoat because at Barca he didnt have two box to box players either.

One thing imo is that Gomes as a CM with Sigurdsson in front is far too slow for a counter attacking side...two really slow players dont make sense.

Would be very happy if he joins us permanently, sounds like we also want to keep hold of Gana. As much as I havent been a fan of Gana he has been utterly superb since the window closed, hes been instrumental in the run of form we had and not conceding. Really hope he stays ad there is definitely a partnership developing there. Fickle fan or what. We will still need some competition for them and I dont think schneiderlin is the man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.