Everton Youth Teams Thread

Thanks mightymoyes, a great read, mostly about a young down to earth lad, talking about himself and his ambitions to do well for himself and Everton, looks like a future Everton captain to me, and he hasn’t got an ounce of vanity in him, good look Lewis, look forward to see you very soon in the first eleven.

One interesting thing is he's still growing. He's about 6 ft 3 currently, another inch or 2 would be very helpful.

One interesting thing is he's still growing. He's about 6 ft 3 currently, another inch or 2 would be very helpful.
When we first signed him, he was compared to the late, great Duncan Edwards, who died after the Munich air crash. What a player Edwards was and would have been, keeping my fingers crossed that young Lewis Gibson is even half as good.

.....quite possibly another shrewd bit of business.

I have to say, though, that he’s not my type of keeper. I have him as a similar type to Pickford, a good shot stopper and distributor of the ball. A modern day keeper. I prefer a goalie to be dominant in the air and I don’t see that with Virginia, just as I don’t see it with Pickford. I just don’t trust them, the next mistake is just around the corner.

I’m old, though, and the game changes.
It was a really odd summer all in all. We added Gibson, Bowler, Markelo, Adanerin very quickly for that side (having bought Lookman earlier that year). I know we were looking at the Sessegnon twins, Brooks, Zizkee (I can't remember his exact name). It seemed to be being pushed a lot by Walshand had he closed on such deals who knows what might have happened. Either way the hope will certainly be there will be one or two gifts from him in the above.

I think Gibson's quotes today are very telling (and also very impressive). It looks like he moved for the best opportunity he would get to play first team football. It's good to here someone talking with such maturity and taking such ownership at such a young age really. I'm not really one who thinks young English players should be endlessly loyal to clubs, you really have to do whats best for your career at that age and to me it's really good for English football more and more seem to be making moves to go abroad.

Gibson made an excellent choice coming here and I'm glad he said as much. We should be pushing this more as well, that there is a clear pathway to the first team for lots of players compared to many PL teams. It will do us no harm them quotes being out there, and less harm still if he can fulfil that ambition. He's definitely benefited from David Unsworth and his coaching too. Learning to defend properly like it matters, rather than treating development as a schooling exercise does players good too.

There is a bit of an aura building about Gibson that tends to build around players as they get close to the first team squad when you know they have something about them. I remember it about Stones before he broke in, there was a bit of an aura about him, nothing too over the top, but just comments about him in the media. I think he might surprise people if he steps up.

Overall thats the biggest differentiator with younger players. It's not just that they always look head and shoulders above in a game, but often that when they are moved up they are able to adapt easily.

Anyway he looks a good player and I hope we can revisit this approach of buying players who are 16-19 from other clubs once the bans over as we have everything we require to be a good option for them, and to potentially rival some of the Bundesliga sides.
It's his lack of size for me. It sounds harsh but I always like bigger goalkeepers. It's funny as football has almost come back on itself a bit recently as you are seeing a few more smaller keepers, but for me I'm always happier to see a much bigger lad in goal.

That being said this lad has done very well and can hopefully become a good number 2 next season.
It looks a great call to be fair mate.

In all honesty I didn't see it with Gibson until more recently. I don't get to watch the younger lads anywhere near as much now (change of job/circumstances) so I suspect that's part of it. I'd also say the under 23's were chaotically run last season and that didn't help anyone.

The defensive record has been fantastic this season though and is great credit to the lads at the back. I know a lot said it was down to Browning, but he's gone and we are just as solid (if not more so).

What I will say though, is there is a bit of an aura about Gibson now that generally comes with good players. In how people talk about him in the press, and in how he carries himself/things he says.
....yep, I like a towering keeper and this lad looks similar size to Pickford (perhaps a bit taller).
I know what you mean Eggs,I think I saw the same incident, however I have to say this kid has impressed me in the main how he has dealt with centres/crosses,I know it's not the first team but already in this aspect I feel he is more assured than Pickford,have heard he will be our No:2 keeper next season too.

On Virginia: He's over 6'3, how tall should a keeper be before hes considered 'the right size'?

On Gibson: It was written as £6mil after clauses. I agree with the sentiment that if he got a debut this season then it reflects well not only on him but on the process players need to follow to get in the first team squad.

Just by giving him 5-10mins at the end of a game we send a message to all 18-21 year olds we are targeting to sign and who are at the club already that there is a pathway to the first team.

Not only that but Gibson himself would feel the confidence going into preseason...

On Virginia: He's over 6'3, how tall should a keeper be before hes considered 'the right size'?

On Gibson: It was written as £6mil after clauses. I agree with the sentiment that if he got a debut this season then it reflects well not only on him but on the process players need to follow to get in the first team squad.

Just by giving him 5-10mins at the end of a game we send a message to all 18-21 year olds we are targeting to sign and who are at the club already that there is a pathway to the first team.

Not only that but Gibson himself would feel the confidence going into preseason...

He doesn't look 6 ft 3 to me though. He looks around 6 ft or 6 ft 1 at most. I am not sure there is a right size per se, but I am a big fan of having goalkeepers who are 6 ft 5+.

I agree on Gibson. I think more broadly this should be an integrated strategy for Everton. It is difficult though as Silva will no doubt say we have a lot to play for (7th to 10th is a big difference) but involving him in a match day squad would be good. We did something similar with Galloway and he started the next season fantastically.

He doesn't look 6 ft 3 to me though. He looks around 6 ft or 6 ft 1 at most. I am not sure there is a right size per se, but I am a big fan of having goalkeepers who are 6 ft 5+.

I agree on Gibson. I think more broadly this should be an integrated strategy for Everton. It is difficult though as Silva will no doubt say we have a lot to play for (7th to 10th is a big difference) but involving him in a match day squad would be good. We did something similar with Galloway and he started the next season fantastically.
Steklenburg is 6' 6" : size isn't everything. :)

....6ft 3in should be fine. I just like keepers who dominate their penalty box, who come for crosses and set pieces. Not sure why, but the modern keepers are less likely to come for crosses.

I haven't seen much of Gibson so far, but hard to see Silva using him as 2nd choice left back next season unless he shows more tactical flexibility than he has so far.
5th choice centre back, 4th choice if Silva is really impressed (maybe competing with Holgate, doubling up as 2nd choice right back), seems most likely. But, low chance of getting action in those scenarios.
I do think a smaller, more flexible squad is the aim though, and the young lads have got more chances to jump queues when they can get experience in different positions.

@blueloon @catcherintherye @Eggs

Brands has said he wont sign players who would block highly rated u23s from getting into the first team. Also who would block young players in the first team from pushing for a starting place + named Lookman, DCL and Richarlison as young players he likes.

He said he would analyse the u18s u23s and 1st team squad.

If we look at this very simplisticly (going off what ive seen and posts in here) I imagine the young players around the 1st team squad could be;

GK -- VIRGINIA
DF -- Kenny, Holgate, GIBSON, ASTLEY
MF -- DAVIES, Williams, Vlasic, Dowell
WF -- RICHARLISON, Lookman, Onyekuru
CF -- CALVERT-LEWIN

However i dont think any of us would be surprised to see only the names in capitals here next season.

Which of the young players in the first team or around the u23s would you think could be in the first team squad in preseason 2020?

The reason I ask is because it will be interesting to compare this to any first team signings this summer and may give us a clue on where he will bring in players in the 18-21 age bracket to supplement the u23s also.

Interested to hear your thoughts...

Brands has said he wont sign players who would block highly rated u23s from getting into the first team. Also who would block young players in the first team from pushing for a starting place + named Lookman, DCL and Richarlison as young players he likes.

If we look at this very simplisticly (going off what ive seen and posts in here) I imagine the young players around the 1st team squad could be;

GK -- VIRGINIA
CF -- CALVERT-LEWIN

However i dont think any of us would be surprised to see only the names in capitals here next season.

Which of the young players in the first team or around the u23s would you think could be in the first team squad in preseason 2020?

The reason I ask is because it will be interesting to compare this to any first team signings this summer and may give us a clue on where he will bring in players in the 18-21 age bracket to supplement the u23s also.

.....I can’t see both Kenny and Holgate being here next season. Indeed, I imagine Holgate will be sold if there’s a buyer.

Yep, I definitely see Gibson being involved in pre-season. Others know more than me, but I imagine Astley will need another season with the Academy. I would throw Kyle John into the defensive mix. I get the impression he’s highly thought of (included in the SportsPesa friendly). Not sure if Pennington’s injury will mean he’s here for the start of next season.

I would put Vlasic in the same category as Holgate, I doubt he’ll be back here next season but that’s just my opinion. I think Silva has said Joe Williams will be involved in pre-season. Agree that the boat might have sailed for Dowell.

From a forward perspective, I wouldn’t dismiss Anthony Gordon being on Brands radar. He’s been involved in Europa League and SportsPesa friendly which indicate he’s well thought of and has spend the 2nd half of the season with the U23s. Probably a way off the 1st team but who knows what the summer might bring.

.....I can’t see both Kenny and Holgate being here next season. Indeed, I imagine Holgate will be sold if there’s a buyer.

Yep, I definitely see Gibson being involved in pre-season. Others know more than me, but I imagine Astley will need another season with the Academy. I would throw Kyle John into the defensive mix. I get the impression he’s highly thought of (included in the SportsPesa friendly). Not sure if Pennington’s injury will mean he’s here for the start of next season.

I would put Vlasic in the same category as Holgate, I doubt he’ll be back here next season but that’s just my opinion. I think Silva has said Joe Williams will be involved in pre-season.

From a forward perspective, I wouldn’t dismiss Anthony Gordon being on Brands radar. He’s been involved in Europa League and SportsPesa friendly which indicate he’s well thought of and has spend the 2nd half of the season with the U23s. Probably a way off the 1st team but who knows what the summer might bring.

Would you say then:

Virginia, John, Gibson, Astley, Gordon, Richarlison, DCL as the likely ones in first team squad 2020?

Do you think Williams would 'make it' if he does come back for preseason this summer?How about Davies?

GK -- VIRGINIA
CF -- CALVERT-LEWIN

Josh Bowler looks more likely to be around 1st team than Ademola next season for me

GK -- VIRGINIA
CF -- CALVERT-LEWIN

I think we are at a situation where we are going to find out a lot about what Brands approach is. In many ways this summer is as difficult as the previous summer but for different reasons. He obviously wants to lower the age group of the first team, but how far he does this, how quickly and in what way is going to be open to discussion this window.

We have a plethora of returning players on loan who have all to varying degrees done ok. Classic and Onyekuru have caught the eye, Holgate has been one of the best defenders in the championship while Williams has been Bolton's best player. As we've indicated we also have an under 23's who are the best in the country.

Lots of difficult decisions to make. Lots of lads who conventionally ought to have some claim to be moving up and will likely be a bit disappointed. You also have players on the fringes of the first team squad in Davies, Kenny, Lookman who can't get a look in. Likely players being targeted who are younger too.

I have no idea how he will operate. I think you are probably quite close in terms of outgoings. I want to keep Lookman and Onyekuru but sense they might go. Brands has shown he's a good seller of players too and he has a much better product to work with now.

As for who could make the step up in 18 months. I think presently you would say Gibson could this summer and Gordon/Astley stand a chance the season after, but will need to keep developing. Lots of left field options on top of course, how will Ellis Simms step up? Will Hornby kick on? If Feeney keeps growing and puts another 2 inches on to say 6 ft 5 what difference might that make?

From memory hes a right winger isnt he?

Any good othe than the screamer last game?

Seems to have found some form recently very direct, actually reminds me a bit of Ross when running with the ball. Have only seen him at u23's though.

Very confident and just offers more for me than Lookman, needs some senior game time though I guess.

Would you say then:

Virginia, John, Gibson, Astley, Gordon, Richarlison, DCL as the likely ones in first team squad 2020?

Do you think Williams would 'make it' if he does come back for preseason this summer?How about Davies?
Josh Bowler looks more likely to be around 1st team than Ademola next season for me

....it’s so hard to say who will ‘make it’ because the step-up is so massive.

The club paid money for Bowler, so Brands might want to look at him. I think money has to be a factor as the club look for returns on investment. Virginia, Gibson and Adeniran also came at a fair cost.

You know i’ve been a big fan of Joe Williams since I first saw him as a 16 year old. Without being unkind, he’s fearless and can be horrible on the pitch. That type always have a chance because they have attitude. He’s also got good size and decent quality about him. He can be daft throwing himself into situations where he picks up injury. I’d say he’ll definitely make it with regards to a future in the game, Managers want his type in their team but I don’t know if that includes Silva.

I suspect Williams will be in competition with Davies. Interesting.

I think Gibson is the most likely inclusion of all from the U23 squad. He’s on a different level. Virginia must have a chance of being in the squad next season.

John, Astley and Gordon might have to wait another 12 months but will be on the radar.