Anti Everton Pundits

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think the wider media are specifically anti-Everton, we're not important enough to hate in their eyes. They're just pro-Liverpool, pro-Man Utd, pro-Chelsea etc. Pro-Top 6 but even then there's a pecking order within that.

Everton to them are part of "The Premier League" so our role in their mind is to provide games for the darlings to play in each season. If we get any individual coverage then it's usually uninformed broad strokes by whoppers who've done 15 minutes reading on us the night before at best.

You only have to look at how they all covered Sam Allardyce's time at the club. They haven't got the first clue about Everton or Evertonians.

I'll never forget as well on Sky's The Debate last year, Tim Sherwood sat there and said with an attitude that Everton don't play young players. Then when the host corrected him and started to say that we give more minutes to teenagers than any other top flight club he just interrupted him petulantly and said "not that I've seen they don't."

An actual pundit, in place as an authority on football, getting something as straightforward as that wrong. Even the most ardent Kopite wouldn't have said we don't play young players. lol

I don't think the wider media are specifically anti-Everton, we're not important enough to hate in their eyes. They're just pro-Liverpool, pro-Man Utd, pro-Chelsea etc. Pro-Top 6 but even then there's a pecking order within that.

Everton to them are part of "The Premier League" so our role in their mind is to provide games for the darlings to play in each season. If we get any individual coverage then it's usually uninformed broad strokes by whoppers who've done 15 minutes reading on us the night before at best.

You only have to look at how they all covered Sam Allardyce's time at the club. They haven't got the first clue about Everton or Evertonians.

I'll never forget as well on Sky's The Debate last year, Tim Sherwood sat there and said with an attitude that Everton don't play young players. Then when the host corrected him and started to say that we give more minutes to teenagers than any other top flight club he just interrupted him petulantly and said "not that I've seen they don't."

An actual pundit, in place as an authority on football, getting something as straightforward as that wrong. Even the most ardent Kopite wouldn't have said we don't play young players. lol

This is spot on. The most tedious part of the Top 6 isn't their money, it's that they have to dominate all coverage and discussion to such a tedious degree. I'd understand if they were interesting at least, but most the time it's boring. Arsenal have been having the exact same season over and over for the past, what, ten years? They managed to change the longest serving manager in the league and still stay exactly the same.

Thing is, if you want attention - and I'm not sure I do particularly - it can and will only come through success. Look at Spurs.

This is spot on. The most tedious part of the Top 6 isn't their money, it's that they have to dominate all coverage and discussion to such a tedious degree. I'd understand if they were interesting at least, but most the time it's boring. Arsenal have been having the exact same season over and over for the past, what, ten years? They managed to change the longest serving manager in the league and still stay exactly the same.

Thing is, if you want attention - and I'm not sure I do particularly - it can and will only come through success. Look at Spurs.

They treat Spurs like a red-headed step child compared to the rest of the top 6 too. Last season they were selling their players whenever they mentioned Spurs and now that they've all signed new deals they're just talking them down at every opportunity.

Trust me, you don't want Everton to get the attention. The way they cover Man City and Tottenham is entirely informed by their love for Man Utd and Arsenal. If we arrived at that table we'd be treated the same way. They act as if we only exist in relation to Liverpool anyway. It would be even worse then.

Most pundits are players who were unable to do well on the coaching/managerial side of the game, instead they get media careers through the old boys' network.
They rarely if ever have a good handle on anyone beyond the 'Top 6' and their former clubs, never mind the tactical side of the game, so expecting them to come up with anything other than tired clichés is pointless.

Not anti-Everton as such, but the pro-Liverpool swarm of pundits is sickening. You turn on Sky you've got Redknapp, Souness, Carragher, Thompson. Flip over to BT, you've got that wham-talker McManaman, Michael Owen. Then the real commentators, Alan Green, Clive Tyldesley, Martin Tyler. They ship in useless gets like Paul Ince to give their expert insight, or even Dean kin Saunders. That's 11 and I only thought about it for about 25 seconds.

And that in turn highlights one of the problems with the coverage in general. It's just so bland and anodyne, just set up to appeal to the casual viewer (who will mainly 'support' the top 6) and so the whole thing is geared towards that. There's no attempt by the person chairing the debate to say 'No, i'm giving you provable facts here, you can't just bulldoze over it with an incorrect opinion' they just let them carry on unchallenged and the average viewer goes away thinking 'Yeah Tim Sherwood's right there, what is the point in Everton?', reinforcing their negative view of us and highlighting how lucky they are to support Liverpool. The whole thing is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.