Old Everton Pictures

It si doing my head in but I think I have spotted a clue. The player (if I am right and hopefully someone will confirm it) in the background to me looks like neil Robinson. I am assuming it was the 77-78 season (hoping really) and by looking up his appearances that season he only played in 4 league matches so when I am relaxing and doing nothing I am going to go through each game to see what games Robinson played in. lol

Right I have checked and he only played in the last 4 games of the season of which 2 were ta home. The away games he played in was a night match against West Brom and the other was Boro. I went to the West Brom game and don't recall a waterlogged pitch but that just could be my memory fading with very very old age. My money is on Boro.........I can relax now.

Right I have checked and he only played in the last 4 games of the season of which 2 were ta home. The away games he played in was a night match against West Brom and the other was Boro. I went to the West Brom game and don't recall a waterlogged pitch but that just could be my memory fading with very very old age. My money is on Boro.........I can relax now.
WBA was a quite warm sunny night game,I remember hitching to it,BoroI dont recall being wet though getting chased around Boro town centre was more of a concern than the weather

It si doing my head in but I think I have spotted a clue. The player (if I am right and hopefully someone will confirm it) in the background to me looks like neil Robinson. I am assuming it was the 77-78 season (hoping really) and by looking up his appearances that season he only played in 4 league matches so when I am relaxing and doing nothing I am going to go through each game to see what games Robinson played in. lol

sorry to put a damper on your clue - but to me the other player looks like Mark Higgins , also the badge in 77/78 was the EFC one , the badge on this shirt was first used in 78/79 up to 1982 , I think this is a 78/79 photo ?
funny enough I am adding the hairdo into the equation - Andy and Latch had similar perms done for the 78/79 season :dodgy::)

- I am guessing Bolton 78/79 - could be the postponed game Jan 1st ?

4th January 1969 Joe Royle heads home as Everton defeat Ipswich in the Third Round of the FA Cup -in 2-1 win for the blues playing at home in the amber away lit or is it my eyes?........?
View attachment 56763
I seem to recall a rule back then that for the FA Cup, a colour clash meant that both teams played in their second kit. There was an FA Cup game a few years earlier against Coventry - we played in white shirts and black shorts.

14th May 1966. Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Ron Springett consoles team mate Gerry Young following the slip that allowed Everton's Derek Temple to score the winner in the FA Cup Final, at Wembley. -
View attachment 56766

That picture of Ron Springett reminded me. Back in 1960, Sheffield Wednesday played Peterborough Utd (non-league at the time) of the Midland League, in the FA Cup 4th round. Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Utd had teams who played in the Yorkshire League. We were due to play Sheffield Wednesday, in Sheffield but the game was called off. Sheffield Wednesday invited us to Hillsborough to watch the game for free. Anyway, back to Ron Springett. A through ball was being chased by Peterborough's centre forward but Springett just beat him to it. Springett took the ball in his arms on about the penalty spot. The centre forward started to hustle Springett, which is what centre forwards did in those days. No physical contact but 'in his face', making it difficult for him to clear the ball. All of a sudden, Springett clobbered the centre forward with a forearm smash. Knocked him clean out. Everyone in the ground saw it, except it seems, the referee, who just waved play on. In those days, unlike now, referees didn't look after goalies, the goalies looked after themselves.

30th November 1968 Gerry Humphreys v Leicester (H) Gerry Humphreys makes Peter Shilton pay for the error of throwing a clearance straight to him by firing it straight back for the Blues third in a 7-1 thumping of them for the blues-
View attachment 56760
I was in the Upper Bullens at the Park End to see that goal go in. Rod Fern with their goal? It was a right tonking for Leicester

sorry to put a damper on your clue - but to me the other player looks like Mark Higgins , also the badge in 77/78 was the EFC one , the badge on this shirt was first used in 78/79 up to 1982 , I think this is a 78/79 photo ?
funny enough I am adding the hairdo into the equation - Andy and Latch had similar perms done for the 78/79 season :dodgy::)

- I am guessing Bolton 78/79 - could be the postponed game Jan 1st ?

Yes you are right on the kit and year so that rules out Boro and west brom 78. Still think that is Neil Robinson though because he had a distinctive gait and always folded over his shorts at the waist which pulled them up even more. If it was in colour then you would see his red hair lol.

Well spotted mate and as there are no records for the postponed game I can't check if robinson or Higgins turned out. That is defo a boys pen in the background though.

That picture of Ron Springett reminded me. Back in 1960, Sheffield Wednesday played Peterborough Utd (non-league at the time) of the Midland League, in the FA Cup 4th round. Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Utd had teams who played in the Yorkshire League. We were due to play Sheffield Wednesday, in Sheffield but the game was called off. Sheffield Wednesday invited us to Hillsborough to watch the game for free. Anyway, back to Ron Springett. A through ball was being chased by Peterborough's centre forward but Springett just beat him to it. Springett took the ball in his arms on about the penalty spot. The centre forward started to hustle Springett, which is what centre forwards did in those days. No physical contact but 'in his face', making it difficult for him to clear the ball. All of a sudden, Springett clobbered the centre forward with a forearm smash. Knocked him clean out. Everyone in the ground saw it, except it seems, the referee, who just waved play on. In those days, unlike now, referees didn't look after goalies, the goalies looked after themselves.

....great story, funny enough when I saw the picture @Joey66 posted, I looked Ron Springett up and sadly he’s no longer with us. As you say, keepers had to protect themselves and I have a vivid memory of Gordon West constantly coming for crosses with his leg out and his studs showing.

Springett wasn’t the biggest of keepers but he was a terrific shot-stopper, which makes that Temple strike in the final all the more remarkable.

Was this Henry Newton’s debut game after just signing fromNotts Forest?
Nyes his debut wore the number 10 shirt - never looked forwards either after that - Henry the Hammer for Forest Henry the plodder for us - The Catt was trying to get a midfield trio of Kendall, Harvey , and him together TBF Harveys hip was causing him problems ....... he never really got going for us- HK outshone him......

Wouldn’t mind betting this was the day we signed Alex Young, Joey might agree with this.
The GV played his first game wearing the no 8 shirt in a 1-0 home defeat to Spurs December 21st 1960 - Wignall the scorer then never played for a while did he come injured blisters on his feet also - we were of the FA cup home to Sheffield United round 3 that year - The GV always maintained if he had come fit he may have saved Carey his job.......

The GV played his first game wearing the no 8 shirt in a 1-0 home defeat to Spurs December 21st 1960 - Wignall the scorer then never played for a while did he come injured blisters on his feet also - we were of the FA cup home to Sheffield United round 3 that year - The GV always maintained if he had come fit he may have saved Carey his job.......
Joey I’m not saying Alex played in the Accrington game, but on that day he signed for Everton.