Power BI - Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting example, ta.
Is the software easy to use? How is it different to having excel do similar?
It's got thousands of charts etc, search bars, maps etc. Everything filters against each other, click a bar on a bar chart and the map zooms to the data, pie charts filter down, tables filter down accordingly etc, automatic updates and it's also a relational database system so you can bring in multiple web tables, a couple of Excel sheets and database file and join them all together...

So with this Everton example you could click on a year, drill trhough to another page which has the team stats and images/vids etc, drill trhough to another page for a player from that year and have a bar chart in there showing goals for that player for each month, then links on the page to highlights of the games he scored in for that month and so on.

It uses Excel, rather than replaces it, but it's good for showing data from multiple sources.

But overall, it's a lot more complex than it sounds to build stuff, most of it is drag and drop and the complexity is in preparing the data..

Can you make it say Gylfi Sigurdsson is the greatest midfielder ever to play the game?

Asking for a friend like...

Hi all, I've been playing with Power BI at lunch time (it's something I need to get my head around at work), so scraped some data from wiki on Everton and had a play, it's a pretty decent programme and dead simple to use.

If it's of interest to anyone I can put a little more time to it and try to add bits people may actually want to be able to see?
If not, no worries, still learnt a lot in the hour I spent doing it.

Oh and sorry, but I can't make it say Everton are doing well unfortunately :(

really good mate! would defo want to see more. sweet. thanks for posting!

Ask me anything you're struggling with and I'll do my best to help. Been with Power BI since birth and amongst other things, I am the Northern Hemisphere Power BI Super User for a very large company. This week I have been experimenting with MDX queries wrapped in M Code to speed up transfer via Analysis Services and provide parameterisation, with quite good results. :) I'm pretty good with Excel as well. Two things I love, Everton and Power BI... Nice one!

Also, if you haven't already... Check out MS Flow and MS Teams... The future for sure. Power BI embeds really well in Teams.

Also, if you haven't already, check out A Guy In A Cube on YouTube. Great Power BI channel.

Likewise, you'll need some DAX understanding... Curbal on YouTube run a DAX Friday which is a good introduction.

And if you want to be a god, buy yourself a copy of M is for Data Monkey and learn all that. :)

Hi all, I've been playing with Power BI at lunch time (it's something I need to get my head around at work), so scraped some data from wiki on Everton and had a play, it's a pretty decent programme and dead simple to use.

Oh and sorry, but I can't make it say Everton are doing well unfortunately :(
Follow this link; enter in the team of your choice...(may not work for all teams)

AlternativePowerBi@rawk.com

Ask me anything you're struggling with and I'll do my best to help. Been with Power BI since birth and amongst other things, I am the Northern Hemisphere Power BI Super User for a very large company. This week I have been experimenting with MDX queries wrapped in M Code to speed up transfer via Analysis Services and provide parameterisation, with quite good results. :) I'm pretty good with Excel as well. Two things I love, Everton and Power BI... Nice one!

Also, if you haven't already... Check out MS Flow and MS Teams... The future for sure. Power BI embeds really well in Teams.
Said the actress to the bishop.

Also, if you haven't already, check out A Guy In A Cube on YouTube. Great Power BI channel.

Likewise, you'll need some DAX understanding... Curbal on YouTube run a DAX Friday which is a good introduction.

And if you want to be a god, buy yourself a copy of M is for Data Monkey and learn all that. :)
Awesome, thanks for the advice,I'm learning R and Dax currently... M is a step further than I need to be at the moment, you're way beyond me mate :)

Oh and yeah Flow is absolutely mint.

Awesome, thanks for the advice,I'm learning R and Dax currently... M is a step further than I need to be at the moment, you're way beyond me mate :)

Oh and yeah Flow is absolutely mint.

I'm learning the other, Python but have the opportunity for R. M is the language of Power Query, so the applied steps bit on the right. You can view and manipulate via the advanced editor. You can also build custom functions in M, for tasks you're doing all the time.

On a serious note... this is the beginning of the next revolution. Business will change massively in the next 3-5 years and many of the jobs we know now won't exist. Learning Power BI and such like is a very wise move as companies are beginning to struggle to find people and demand is huge!

Country isn't even thinking about it but it's coming. :)

I'm learning the other, Python but have the opportunity for R. M is the language of Power Query, so the applied steps bit on the right. You can view and manipulate via the advanced editor. You can also build custom functions in M, for tasks you're doing all the time.

On a serious note... this is the beginning of the next revolution. Business will change massively in the next 3-5 years and many of the jobs we know now won't exist. Learning Power BI and such like is a very wise move as companies are beginning to struggle to find people and demand is huge!

Country isn't even thinking about it but it's coming. :)

Python next on my list too as R seemed a bit like a coding for the sake of coding? that said I don't need either for my job, so guessing you are in Data Science?

Nice work btw @Ihaters, if this stuff is relatively new to you, my advice is: get Dashboard requests finalised and signed off before you put hours of work in! there's always some middle-manager who does literally nothing but have "bright ideas" in meetings who'll say "...oooh what would be great is if we could see X by Y"

Interesting take

Catterick win pct 44
Kendall 43%
Moyes 40%

I suppose Kendall's 2nd and 3rd stint weren't great to be kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.