2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actually a very good header compared to the sitters in head terms that hes missed,one v Hull when he should have won us that game,one in europa,to name just a few etc,over his time

The facts don't back that up though. Just getting lots of game time in the championship doesn't make you a better player at Premier level.

And I would say that the German and French leagues are comfortably higher standard than the Championship. Even playing at one of the better clubs in one of the lesser leagues like Dutch, Belgian, Turkish, Russian etc, can improve the player because they are playing/training with better players and also get to play European football which can expose them to top top players. They aren't getting that in the championship.

Generally young players need exposure to open age football at an early age, 16/18 ideally. From 19 onwards they need to be playing at a top level if they are to develop into the type of player we need. They need to be playing and training with International class players on a daily basis, and also playing against the best whether they be a defender, midfielder or attacker. DCL playing against some championship slogger will not prepare him to come up against the likes of VVD. Likewise Kenny playing against the likes of James McClean will in no way prepare him for Mane, Sane or Hazard.

I've seen more facts that prove promising players who don't go out for more game time don't fully develop. English players are usually 2 years behind in terms of games played compared to other European players of the same age.

Few examples:
VVD played 60+ games for Groningen and Celtic.
Hazard played 100+ games for Lille.
Mane played 60+ games for Salzburg in the Austrian league.

The exposure to "top players" would've been minimal for games in poorer leagues. Yet they all played regularly. All got big money moves to the premiership.

Most European coaches all agree that they produce better talent due to the amount of games they play from a young age. Dom's been here since he was 19. He's played little football prior to that so he's already behind and playing catch up.

I've seen more facts that prove promising players who don't go out for more game time don't fully develop. English players are usually 2 years behind in terms of games played compared to other European players of the same age.

Few examples:

The exposure to "top players" would've been minimal for games in poorer leagues. Yet they all played regularly. All got big money moves to the premiership.

Most European coaches all agree that they produce better talent due to the amount of games they play from a young age. Dom's been here since he was 19. He's played little football prior to that so he's already behind and playing catch up.

He’s played more than any of the other young players in the squad.

Few examples:

Dom's played over 100 senior games, most of them in the premier league, and he's still 21. I bet there aren't that many 21 year olds around Europe with his experience at this level. To say he's playing catch up is just wrong IMO.

Hazard played in a good league. France may not be as competitive as the premier but it is still a good standard. I wouldn't argue if we decided to send Dom there for a season. Also, as I said, playing for a top team in a lesser league with regular European football is better for development than the championship.

Then there are always exceptions to the rule. Like VVD. Also players like Vardey just mature much later.

Genuinely Excellent header, but he is not good enough, and never will be. Will have a decdnt career elsewhere like a Vaughan/Anichebe type.

Status
Not open for further replies.