Old Everton Pictures

My first time at Wembley that and still my favorite. Made all the better as our local lad from Dovecot scored the winner. Derek Temple lived in a corpy house in Winstone Rd. In Dovecot, back in the days when footballers were just normal human beings who were good at footy. The local infants school was in the same road, and, there was a constant stream of youngsters waiting by his gate to get an autograph. No big time Charlie was Derek, he always stopped signed and had a laugh and a joke with us. A credit to his club, his family, his neighborhood , his city and himself
...I bet he parked the gold bentley outside his house too.

Didn't go to this above game but I think we won the first leg 2-0 . The game at Goodison ended 1-1 so we won un- official Championship of Britain,
a game mainly remembered for the 'street fighting'.
My late father went to the Home game V Rangers came home white as a sheet - {I had begged him to go} He told me the crowd would be to big as I was only 7 years old}
He witnessed cueing up by the paddock - iron bars, knives and bottles being used, by both sets of fans in a skirmish when the mountain police on horses came in a scotch guy stubbed his lit cigarette out on the horses backside he just got through the turnstile to avoid the melle outside - inside it was OK packed tight....
He was a hard man a miner in those days, and could look after himself if need be - He stated I am not going to one of those games ever again......

An interest free loan to build and purchase Goodison park, as Holt the Landlord tripled the rent and we moved away from Anfield Dr Baxter funded most of it -

EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB
August 25, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury
Opening of the New Ground
The new ground of the Everton Football Club Company Limited, at Goodison Park, Walton lane, was opened last evening by Lord Kinnaird, president of the Football Association of England. Previous to the ceremony his lordship was entertained to dinner at the Adelphi Hotel. Among those present in addition to Lord Kinnard were Mr. G. Mahon (president of the club), in the chair; Dr. Baxter (vice president), in the vice chair; Dr. Morley (vice chairman of the Football Association of England and president of the Blackburn Rovers), Messrs, J.J. Bentley (chairman of the Football League and secretary of the Bolton Wanderers), H. Lockett (secretary of the League), R.PO. Gregson (secretary of the Lancashire Association), R.E. Lythgoe (secretary of the Liverpool Association), Mr. Earlam (secretary of the Combination), Inspector Churchill (secretary of the Liverpool Police Athletic Association); Messrs, W and J. Kelly (contractors for the new ground), and Mr. James Prescott (architect for the ground.}