Rip Gordon Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was one serious goalkeeper! I met him once years ago in a motorway service station and like a big divvy, I went up to him and said ‘scuse me are you Gordon Banks’ he was an absolutely lovely man, very friendly and very, very humble. When we were done, I apologised for having spent the whole 20 minutes asking him about Alan Ball and Ray Wilson (I barely asked him a question about himself) and he just said, “no bother pal, you are an Evertonian, it is only natural that you would want to ask about Everton players” top, top feller, he was also very complimentary about Brain Labone, big Joe and Westy too. R.I.P Gordon, you were a class act on and off the pitch!
That must of been amazing

Had the pleasure of meeting him at a sporting lunch thing, 25 years ago it must be. Anyrate, the menu had a big photo of him in goal for Stoke, so folk were queuing for a signature. I get there and he asks "What is your name?" I said, "Sorry for asking, but its my Godsons christening this weekend and his Mum is massive Stoke fan, so hopes her lad makes the right choice!"

"No problem, whats his name?" "James" I say.

Without being asked, not only did he sign it "To James", he also added a few lines for his Mum, and a message for him when he would be able to read it himself. He still has the menu/picture, all framed now, with the message being professionally protected. I am sure they will raise a glass to the man today. RIP.

never did see him live unfortunately , but do somewhat recall the 1970 header save against Pele as a youngster on telly which I believe goes down as the best save ever .

RIP Gordon

It was mate, he said “to truly have appreciated Bally, you had to see himin the dressing room before and after a game. He said he was like a ball of electricity and nobody had time to be nervous with him buzzing about. He said Big Joe and Gordon West were quality players and just said about Labby “he was a gentleman”” :)
I'm 46 so missed seeing those greats live. But players of today are nothing like those of those days.

Just heard the comment from Pele;
“ I’m glad he saved my header. Because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met it was always like we had never been apart”
Wow
2 true gentlemen

Another legend who had to sell his world cup winning medal to support himself and his family.
Makes you mad when you see young lads who are nowhere near the 1st team or have any chance of getting a game, who are already millionaires driving round in their Big cars.
RIP Gordon, gentleman and a scholar.

Gordon Banks Legend has to sell his medal to support his family
Arrow Ramsey average footballer £400,000 a week
Says it all about why fans hate some of these players and are falling out of love with game

Status
Not open for further replies.