The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Employed and unemployed, nevertheless if the club doesnt ask the best out there you will never get them!

Agreed, but they also need to provide an enticing package. Salary of course, but also money for transfers and, crucially, the promise that the new man will have a decent amount of time to make changes and won't be chopped at the first run of bad form. Otherwise, what decent manager will come?

We will be fine...
But we are not a good side, much to do in the transfer market buying & selling going to be so important we get the right players in...

Like Gomes & Zouma would like to keep them both...
You want to pay 30mill+ for Gomez?

. “We still need to sign a striker,” the Everton manager said. “Everybody knows that we lost Romelu Lukaku. We brought in Wayne Rooney, Sandro Ramírez and now Gylfi, and maybe they can share the goals around more than happened last season, but we still need another one to play the No9. When you play in Europe, and let’s hope we reach Europe, and in the Premier League you cannot do it with just one or two strikers.”

Of course we did not 100 per cent do the business because everybody knew we tried to find a striker to bring in and that striker was really our priority.

"But I think we were a little bit unlucky with our option one and our option two. I thought we would get one of the two in but finally we did not.

Then it is always a problem if you go for your option three or option four or option five.

“At that time the players were not available to make this team stronger.

I'm just going to go ahead and use the Mourinho example at United again.

Some managers are just bad fits for some clubs... and Silva is simply a bad fit for this one.

With Newcastle drawing at Wolves that puts us 6 points off 15th and everyone below has a game in hand. The last relegation place is 9 points away with everyone having a game in hand.

Just let that sink in!

Last edited:
That’s not all entirely true. The Giroud thing was early-ish in the window.

But I know for a fact Koeman was offered other strikers, including Josh King from Bournemouth who I actually don’t mind at all....but turned them down. The bloody weirdo.
Christ he's better than what we have. Good player.

Two weeks before a summer window closes and he;d spent the best part of £200M he decides he'd like some more cash to fill the position we most needed filling.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the reasons for Silva not being permitted a striker.

Two weeks before a summer window closes and he;d spent the best part of £200M he decides he'd like some more cash to fill the position we most needed filling.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the reasons for Silva not being permitted a striker.
I actually think it was a foolish move to sell Rooney. I am sure he would have chipped in with his fair share of goals this season.

Although I didn't want Martinez or Koeman, Silva is different to both.

He has built no goodwill, has no credentials/profile, is a bore and the only trends you can take from his managerial career to date are negative around his inability to setup a defence to deal with basic set pieces, predictable playing style and complete collapse of form/lack of resillience.

The only argument for keeping him is around continuity and that is because of Koeman (better record) and Allardyce (better record). Koeman and the interim appointment of Allardyce shouldn't hamstring the club.

He was a gamble. I admired the gamble because it showed Moshiri had some longer term thinking for once rather than flavour of the month and wasn't discouraged by his collapse at Watford. But the gamble hasn't paid off and most significantly, shows no signs of ever looking remotely like it'll pay off.

There's no bigger picture here, he's just not good enough and out of his depth.
Has no credentials? In England, absolutely. But abroad? Or aren't you counting that?

There is no doubting we've collapsed and it can't be just swept away. He deserves scrutiny.

But to suggest that we weren't playing well pre-Derby just isn't true in my opinion. We were on the front foot, creating chances and scoring goals. The opposition are irrelevant, it was a drastic sea change from what we were producing last season and for much of the season before.

It may not have created any goodwill for you but it's certainly not a view shared by everyone.

With Newcastle drawing at Wolves that puts us 6 points off 15th and everyone below has a game in hand. The last relegation place is 9 points away with everyone having a game in hand.

Just let that sink in!

Absolutely this. We have some horrendous fixtures left. We need at least 6 points. Where are they coming from?

I actually think it was a foolish move to sell Rooney. I am sure he would have chipped in with his fair share of goals this season.
I liked Rooney, but I think he was a number in the dressing room who had too much to say. If I was a manager and gone in there I'd have punted Rooney, Baines and Jagielka as a minumum and taken a blow torch to the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.