The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin

Player Valuation: £40m
What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?

What if Marco Silva has a case to be backed for next season? There are fundamental issues in the team which would need to be worked upon over the summer such as set pieces but generally speaking, here is the case FOR Marco Silva. (Does not reflect my own personal views)

Loan players

everton have 7 first team players out on loan this season, probably more if some have slipped my mind. It's fair to say most of them wouldn't improve us if they were available and only really vlasic and onykerwu having the case to be part of the team. But generally speaking, these players on loan are crippling the wage bill so it restricts what the club could have done in the market, making January signings impossible. Once all have been shipped out then we could see a lot more business being done. That and the side point of so many 'first team's players out the club is a massive chunk of a squad.

Underperforming/ wrong fit players

There are many players in the squad that simply don't fit or just aren't good enough that are classed as part of the first team squad. We can list them as an opinion but it's obvious how many players just aren't good enough in there or simply don't perform. By my count I can list at least 9 , which is again a massive chunk of the squad that either underperform or aren't options to use. So potentially just over a third of the available squad won't play or won't perform if played. That is a massive handicap for a manager who needs to change things

Senior players underperforming

following on from the above, how many senior players just aren't there for the team? Baines, jagielka , Coleman , Schneiderlin, Walcott alone are all massively underperforming or simply not good enough. 3 of those are captains when available which considering the lack of leadership on the pitch, it's another handicap to not have these players to rely on when things aren't going well. It leaves us without a natural captain on the pitch when those 3 are earmarked for the role.

lack of striker

This was a problem last season but recently it's really shown itself . We have no striker at the club to perform the role effectively enough. Lewen and tosun aren't good enough it's fair to say and that is where it's a hindrance for any manager . Against Watford both of them missed from less than 10 yards out, one would have counted but the point being if you have strikers who miss from that range when you really need a goal then what can a manager really do to win games? Most club's have at least one player who they can rely on in the box , we haven't had one for 2 seasons now.

Coaching staff

it's fair to say again we have never had a complete overhaul of our coaching staff since Moyes left. The manager brings his trusted allies in but on the training pitch and throughout the club the coaches have stayed the same. Perhaps this needs to be looked at and changed to see overall improvements throughout the team?

All good points.

Throughout all of this I've tried to stress that it's a mix of everything. It's not ALL Silva's fault, and equally so he isn't blameless.

Most people agree with that I'm sure, but I acknowledge that it's getting harder to see how he turns this around, now.

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season
Its funny with the set piece situation. In October-November time we got over the initial marking problem and didn't really concede many goals from set pieces for about 10 games, and then it went crap again. Its almost like 1 thing went wrong, I think you know which incident I'm talking about, and they just lost faith in Silva's marking and stopped doing it. Despite marking not being the cause of the incident.

Jags started the first game and got sent off, costing us what would've been a win imo.

Baines has given 2 penalties away in the very limited game time he has had.

Both shouldn't be starting games but when they do I expect better.

So Jags was very harshly sent off and hasn’t been seen since.

Baines has filled in when asked despite looking like he can hardly walk.

Think these two are exempt from any criticism myself but each to their own. I appreciate we have to have hate targets in on GOT.

Its funny with the set piece situation. In October-November time we got over the initial marking problem and didn't really concede many goals from set pieces for about 10 games, and then it went crap again. Its almost like 1 thing went wrong, I think you know which incident I'm talking about, and they just lost faith in Silva's marking and stopped doing it. Despite marking not being the cause of the incident.
Yes, it was better for a while. I wonder how the introduction of Mina at Zouma's expense in the autumn unsettled things back there too.

I felt at the time it was harsh.

So Jags was very harshly sent off and hasn’t been since.

Baines has filled in when asked despite looking like he can hardly walk.

Think these two are exempt from any criticism myself but each to their own. I appreciate we have to have hate targets in on GOT.
Jags caused the sending off by being unable to control a ball despite being in the professional game for nearly 20 years.

That was only 1 of the penalties. He knows his own body. If he knew he wasn't fit he has a duty to say so, then it is up to Silva.

Jags caused the sending off by being unable to control a ball despite being in the professional game for nearly 20 years.

That was only 1 of the penalties. He knows his own body. If he knew he wasn't fit he has a duty to say so, then it is up to Silva.

Silva selected them both, so if they weren’t up to it it’s a further stain on Silva, not them.

Status
Not open for further replies.