Match Thread Watford v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only seen 10 minutes highlights on lasthl.com but it seems Watford scored from their only attempt on target and we didn't score from a few attempts on target. If I manage to see a recording of the game tomorrow I'll make a vote from that. Fortunately I was at the Halliwell Jones stadium to see Warrington Wolves beat Hull KR 28-18 which was probably a lot more satisfying than watching PL football :coffee:

Sadly how do you honestly pick a man of the match? No matter what formation it just seems gutless. Even in periods when we became crap in the early seventies we had guts lads like Mick Buckley, Jim Pearson to name two who whilst not the required standard gave us everything they had.

I've only seen 10 minutes highlights on lasthl.com but it seems Watford scored from their only attempt on target and we didn't score from a few attempts on target. If I manage to see a recording of the game tomorrow I'll make a vote from that. Fortunately I was at the Halliwell Jones stadium to see Warrington Wolves beat Hull KR 28-18 which was probably a lot more satisfying than watching PL football :coffee:

It was more of a case of awful football for 90 minutes, we were the better of 2 dreadful teams in the first half and then decided not to come out for the second

It was bad

Balanced going forward?

Didn't we go a month without a shot on target?

He also tried to play a back 5 and 3 defensive midfielders at Arsenal only to be 4 down after 12 minutes. Very organised indeed.

Have you forgotten the circumstances with which he came in?

Ah yeah cuz Marco's known as a pioneer of majestic football across Europe.

:oops:
Hardly my point.

Gravyman has proven he's a negative dinosaur of a coach who plays negative football focused on parking the bus. The circumstances aren't important here - he could go to Barca and play the exact same negative defensive crap football, cuz it's him - it's what he does.

I think Marco got it right in the first. Only chances they had were because our CBs stink - although Zouma played well in spurts. Only reason we didn't have better chances is because our CF stinks. But the formation killed Watford's 4-2-2-2 and prevented them from attacking centrally.

Beyond that, YOU WOULD THINK an experienced ref could tell when a team was tactically fouling and administer a yellow cared before the 69th minute. It was ridiculous. They must've had 20+ fouls.

Unfortunately, Marco didn't make proper adjustments when Gray came on at half. They completely changed the point of attack, forced the ball wide, and created a ton of chances from the point Gylfi hit the bar until they scored. We morphed back into a 4-3-2-1, but without a midfielder that could play wider on the left and got gashed. Subbing Walcott was probably the right move considering what we had on our sorry bench - giving us the other wide player we needed, but it was too late I guess.

We had by far the better of play after that, but it was too late, they were packed in, and we simply don't have the ability to unlock these guys, although Digne just missed on the free kick. Pretty harsh result, especially after that first half, but you get THAT disorganized in the back that's what happened. Sure, it shouldn't have been a corner and frankly, shouldn't have been a free kick prior to that because Digne never touched that Watford player. But that stuff happens.

I am much more disappointed that we didn't score than the fact we gave up a goal.

Just finished watching.
Couldnt really argue with his starting XI apart from an out of position, out of form Sigurdsson. Either way, playing him and Gomes against the likes of Watford Id expect one or both to keep getting the ball and dictate the game.
Another game when we are slow, predictable, clumsy and toothlessin the last third.

Status
Not open for further replies.